1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnson, the Forgotten Member?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/statistics/

20 pts 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 3.8 TOs per game.

[​IMG]

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, man, I see the point you're trying to make, but putting Love as an example with any of the players in this discussion is silly. Kevin Love was a top 5 pick in the draft and in Minnesota (Yes, I know you know this)... If McHale didn't start Love I would be very worried. I mean he was young, but it's not like he had to go against Garnett still to work that hard to be a starter, haha. It was very similar with Parsons and Bev, it's not like the competition was that difficult to get a starting spot (it was Lin and whatever warm body was at SF). Does Lin even start on the Lakers???

To me McHale runs with what he has, and people touting D-League stats have to know they don't mean much, it's like taking a varsity high school star and having them play on the freshman team... "Oh wow! He's averaging 30ppg on the Vipers" equates to like 5 ppg in the NBA, haha.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah well my only point is McHale has no problem playing rookies or young guys if they're ready.

If he isn't playing with Johnson, it's may be because Johnson is too soft right now.

4. coffeelover665

I think mchale refusal of playing rookies over vets is one of the many qualities that make other players like him. If you want respect, you have to earn it through hard work and putting in the time. You cant just come in and take away minutes from an older member.

On another note, I'm damn glad we didn't get a Wiggins or a Jabari hahaha

5. mockster

mockster Member

Trade em all. Get rid of Canaan, get rid of Johnson, go for broke. Use em as a add on to a trade. I say dangle the contracts of terry, pap, Canaan, Johnson, shved and one of our PFs dmo, smith or jones

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I agree with you on both points.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think you would see Johnson stand tall, given enough playing time, and if McHale would just stroke his ego a little.

With enough exposure, I'm pretty sure teams would want no part of our Johnson come playoff time.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Johnson's potential lies as a great role player. Which is a better fit to this team than someone who's potential is probably going to be as an iso-ball player.
    Johnson could be the ultimate Slash, 3, and D guy. Not to mention, if forced, I think Johnson is a guy able to create his own shot. Nothing spectacular but enough to prevent stagnant offense.

We don't need another Harden on this team and Canaan as a spot up 3 and D player, same as Bev, isn't doing anything special that Bev isn't doing.

9. Rocket_Man_2.0

Canaan and Johnson>>>Beverley and Terry!!:eek:

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

If our recorded wasn't good enough for 3rd seed, I would see McHale giving PT to Capela over Dorsey and Cannan/Johnson over PB/Terry...but I doubt he will take this gamble if we counitune to have a good record

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wouldn't call a 22yr old Patrick Patterson a "Veteran" or Greg Smith. Besides, Jones started 70 games in his second year as a 22yr old. Are those the Vets that you say McHale stayed with versus developing young players? lols.

What are you talking about. McHale has proven to play rookies and young players left and right.

Besides, at this point, the roster is very young. At some point, you have to mix that with Vets, but guys like you will always point to the few role-playing Vets and say "See, McHale won't play rookies" whereas the majority of the players are developing talent.

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

People keeping want to trade him and they don't realize he's the future guard for the team....

T_Man

13. Carl Herrera

Johnson will stop being soft once he plays with Johnson more.

1 person likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that Cannan is actually ready, which a blind man could see when he was starting for us.

15. Carl Herrera

Exactly. You blind people think he's ready.

16. Mr. Clutch

You mean ready after he knocks off the rust with a few goose egg games?

And how exactly could a blind man see who is starting?

17. Mr. Clutch

There's a myth that if you play with Johnson too much, you go blind.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We need Dick Justice to write one of his flaccid op-ed pieces on this unused Johnson.

19. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

Hey there is no place for that in this forum. If you're going to talk like that, please leave.

20. Mr. Clutch

I'm just saying that some teams perfer smaller combo guards at the 2.

For example, Monta Ellis or Allen Iverson.