1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] Peyton Manning, Ryan Mallet or Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Jan 12, 2015.

?

Which QB would you prefer?

1. Peyton Manning

71.0%
  2. Ryan Mallett

17.7%
  3. Draft a QB

11.3%
  1. Breaker

Breaker Member

people shooting for mediocre smh really wonder if it's a reflection of them irl

you either win it and know you have a good chance at it or you keep finding the formula that works. Peyton have proven historically to a complete goober in the playoffs, unless he's going against Rex Grossman

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i'm not sold on mariota becoming a great pro but if for some reason he drops whether due to this game or any nonalarming issue, i would gladly take him and let o'brien go to work.

if he drops, i can see chip kelly trading up to get him first though.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you sound cranky.

did mom & dad send you to bed without dinner?

keep your head up! your balls should drop one of these days.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is why we can't have nice things.

5. Breaker

Breaker Member

ofc you mad you're arguing with a kid?

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the "you mad" thing was so two years ago... i would think as "a kid" you would know that, but apparently not. run along now, child.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It appears like Denver might be blowing things up

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, they've already fired the coach, both Thomas' could be gone in FA, Welker could be gone in FA, Terrance Knighton is probably gone in FA. I think they bite the bullet and go into full on rebuild mode immediately. They gave the Peyton Manning experiment plenty of time and it came close to being successful, but it's over.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Really? He does? He's been to the playoffs 14 times; he's been to the Super Bowl three times (where he's 1-2, by the way). Meanwhile, he's been one-and-done nine times. Nine? Nine. His overal record is 11-13 and his postseason QB rating - in 24 starts - is 88.5, not quite to the 97.5 regular season standard.

Peyton Manning is not going to get better; in fact, there's a good chance his best football is behind him. He is not an answer beyond, at best, two years - what then? Look at Denver; they are staring down the very real possibility of having to blow that team to smithereens.

And we haven't even discussed money, which we don't have a lot to offer him. Who's getting cut to bring Peyton Manning here?

I admittedly didn't want Manning in '11, and that was, in hindsight, a mistake (though, not a mis-informed mistake). But now? No way. He looks finished.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If we had 2011 to do over again, I'd definitely take him (duh). I didn't want him then because I thought he was done. I was wrong.

But now, I really do think he's done.

I vote for signing Mallet to a short-term "prove it" contract and drafting the best QB available in the 1st or 2nd round to compete with him. I can't imagine anyone is going to throw a lot of money at Mallet and he's stated that he wants to stay in Houston.

Savage's ceiling is being the the next TJ Yates and there's really no point in bringing back Fitz.

1st string - Mallet
    2nd string - rookie with upside
    3rd string - Savage or Keenum

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Manning isn't leaving Denver, so that's a non-starter.

Sign Mallet to a minimally guaranteed contract (with high upside), draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to compete.

You can't stop searching until you know for certain you've found your franchise QB. As promising as Mallet looks, he's still an unknown.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gary Kubiak is the leading candidate to be Denver's next head coach and they are losing a ton of players in FA, there's very little chance Manning is back.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's very little chance Manning goes elsewhere to start over.... I feel he'll retire or stay in Denver.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

jj is ready to win now not watch mediocre or bad qbs not pan out for the next few seasons.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see him wanting to get the extra 2k yards to overtake Favre for the top spot and I don't think he'll have the option of staying in Denver. I could see him playing out one more season elsewhere. Also, given that they are probably going to lose Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, and Wes Welker, would he really want to stay? I mean I get him wanting the ridiculous amount of money they'd pay him, but with no passing targets, he'd struggle. Either way, I expect the Broncos to announce that they've cut him within the next few months.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If money is preventing them from retaining players, Peyton would probably restructure to stay... he seems like he's smart enough to know where he can be successful (and achieve milestones) vs. just going some place to chase stats.

I also think you underestimate the relationship Elway and Manning have... if it doesn't work out, they will mutually come to that determination but not after exhausting all potential solutions. I just don't see an ideal team ready to accommodate Manning and vice versa.

#36 Nick, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Press conference on now... Elway wants Manning back, but will understand if he feels he needs to retire.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

KEEP GETTIN THEM CHECKS PEYTON!!

19. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Yes ... :rolleyes:

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

How does this equate to Peyton Manning leaving Denver?

You seriously they're going to cut him? Or did you forget he's under contract?