1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Zobrist???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Dec 30, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

With the Rays signing Asdrubal Cabrera today, I would love to see the Astros go after Zobrist. He is the perfect fit for our current situation. He would be an immediate upgrade at either 3B or LF, so the current options we have there could go to spring training and battle for their job with Zobrist taking the spot of whoever doesn't look ready.

His versatility would play well on any team but especially ours right now. This is his final year on his contract would be interesting to see the potential trade price

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

nah, i'll pass on zobrilla. unless they would take quad A players for him.

3. Major

Major Member

He does seem like the perfect player for the Astros. They have a lot of young talent, but also a lot of questionmarks. It's unclear what positions will be weak and for how long, depending on when prospects are ready or who doesn't live up to hopes. Zobrist could pretty much play whatever position is weak at any given time and move around the field as players come up or flounder.

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Remember when he was traded for Aubrey Huff?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Many teams will be after him.

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Charlie Palillo approves.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Beard

Just think he is the perfect fit. With several different spots up in the air, he could play pretty much anywhere there is failure

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A few problems with going after Zobrist.

For one he's still a spectacular player. He posted a WAR of 5 last season, meaning the Rays aren't gonna give him away cheap.

Secondly his utilitarian status means he's a perfect fit just about everywhere, meaning just about every team has a use for him. A contender is likely to cave and give the Rays a big haul, that's probably what Tampa is waiting for.

Lastly he's 33 and on the last year of his contract. We're not contending this year, and he can be a free agent after the season. We certainly could sign him to an extension, but that will likely take him into his late 30's which is a danger zone for players (he will be 35 early in the 2016 season). So his potential value to us might not be worth the prospect haul the Rays will ask for.

8. The Beard

Completely agree that his versatility will make him a player than a lot of teams would love to have. I think the fact that he is in the last year of his contract lessens what the Rays will be able to get for him. One year rentals in baseball carry less trade value.

I will definitely agree that if it took a big haul of top prospects then it's a no go. But if we could use our depth, and say move a guy in the 10-15 range (AJ Reed, Kyle Smith type) along with a couple of guys just outside our top 20, then I would definitely be all over that. The depth of our system makes guys in our 20-25 range guys that on most teams would be top 10-15 prospects.

And I love our system and all of that, but it's time for us to move on from thinking about our prospects all the time and think about the major league team. Zobrist would be another nice step in that direction

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

What draft comp is lost on Zobrist. Anything higher with the way Luhnow has drafted, I'd pass

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

as sealclubber pointed out, it just doesn't make sense unless the price is low. And based on his current value, contenders will be willing to give up more than we should--even if it's a 1 year rental--given his high WAR and versatility.

I'd be happy to sign him as a FA...but as a trade target, a 1 year rental (or extension on a 33 year old) isn't appealing to give up significant prospects

11. awc713

awc713 Member

We should trade Fontana and a couple low prospects.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, yeah I'm sure Tampa would totally be OK with that.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've mentioned this in the past on the board but I don't think Luhnow would easily trade the "depth" that he's built up for a rental player. The 'depth' is a bunch of guys with baseball specific skills that are likely to contribute at the major league level. I think he's more likely to trade a top 10 prospect in a deal that returns a good ML player.

a) I don't think other teams would be interested in our #10-15 prospects for a 5 WAR player like Zobrist
    b) Luhnow has had such good success with 'skill' (i.e. quiet tools/non-elite prospect) players that he's willing to let trade his top prospects and let other teams dream big on the 5-WAR plus upside.

The baseball skills prospects (e.g. Reed, Fontana, Gregor, Kemp, Emanuel, Rodgers) aren't particularly sexy, but they're a good bet to return 1-3 WAR per season. And they are the classic example of 'worth more to us than them'.

Whereas on the other hand, Folty and Santana have all-star upside, but reliever/bench floors. Let someone else dream on that potential.

14. The Beard

Well so much for that idea anyway

Zobrist to Oakland for John Jaso and a prospect. Details supposed to be coming soon

15. Major

Major Member

Not sure how good these guys are, but these are the prospects:

The Rays also received top shortstop prospect Daniel Robertson, minor league outfielder Boog Powell and cash considerations.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Daniel Robertson was #85 in MLB top 100 prospects. Boog Powell is the A's #11 prospect. John Jaso is a proven MLB guy (.796 OPS at catcher over the last 3 seasons), who the Ray's will probably be able to flip for even more prospects.

A similar package from the Astros would have been Fowler, Moran and one of our B level prospects.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is a steal. Two prospects and a backup catcher.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

John Jaso has posted a .796 OPS over the last 3 years. Would you consider Chris Carter and Dexter Fowler backups, because they have a very similar OPS to Jaso.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jaso can't hit lefties.

20. The Beard

Plus, while he will catch a little as the "backup", he will play fairly regularly as a DH