1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith optimism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samiam1234, Dec 25, 2014.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They can tag team him. Three headed rotation Smith/DMo/Howard on him to keep the pressure on. So long as Jones is never iso'd against him again.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I want him to play that Quiet OTIS THORPE type Role

Rocket River

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

There just isn't time in the regular season. Reclamation projects like this are much better to handle in the offseason.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That would be awesome - I miss the days of OT!

5. chandlerbang21

THE GUY SUCKS! At least he is cheap

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight howard had trouble getting along with Stan VanGundy also. But Dwight seems to like Mchale and has certaily matured under him. Maybe Smith will too.

7. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If he plays an Artest type role we will be kicking ass. I'm pretty pumped to see this team out there.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This. Our offense last year was elite, and part of that was because we had a guy who could handle the rock and attack the rim from the perimeter from the PF spot. DMo has been great, but he is not effective unless he is within 10 feet from the rim with his back to the basket.

Smith in the starting lineup as opposed to DMo will provide better spacing.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Except smith is more of a threat to brick than he is to score when the ball is in his hands.

#30 justtxyank, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  11. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Its over a month before the trade deadline, players are traded in Feb and can make an impact quickly. The fact that we are doing this in December will give him 50 games to get his act straight and learn how to contribute before the playoffs where we really need him.

But yeah, offseason would have been ideal, you have to take these chances when they fall into your lap.

I hope he plays well enough to allow the team to make a quick decision on him in the offseason, If he plays well and we lock him in for a couple seasons the next few seasons could be really special.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  13. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

unfortunately that goes for almost each and every player on this roster.. so I have no problem for smith being another one of the brickers...even our best player can hardly hit midrange or 3 with any regularity...

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Smith's career 3pt% is sub-.300. I'd welcome him to shoot if I were the opposing defense.

The only guy on our roster who shoots worse than .300 from 3 and are still shooting a lot is Papanikolaou.

15. Jiramisu

Jiramisu Member

Let's just hope that Smith can have an Ariza-like turnaround. From #1 option on a bad team and doing terrible things (like Ariza was like for us in the past) to understanding his role now with a championship caliber team and doing pretty damn awesome.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

I have a feeling it's gonna be a great fit

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Maybe you should be more optimistic and stop thinking you're the thread police.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As long as Smith continues to stay away from those 3 pointers, he'll be fine.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't really get where Smith gets the diva reputation from? He may have been when he was younger but I think he is incorrectly labeled. He may be a bit of a knucklehead but all in all has been a pretty good teammate and respectful for coaches. If I forgot something from his past I apologize. Like you said though, if he does go diva for whatever reason then yeah, kick him to the curb.