1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

What??? The Rockets are 6-2 with three starters out. Unbelievable. COY hopefully.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

On a related note. Man Morey sucks for not getting us Depth. If our entire front line especially Dwight Howard and 4 out of our top 8 players get injured what will the Rockets do? We will have such a hard time beating even scrub teams like the Knicks!

If we play good teams like the Kings we'll lose by quite a bit.

If we play supposedly "best of the west" type teams like the Mavs we will get blown out.

If we play the best team in the league, the Memphis Grizzlies, we'll probably lose by 50.

Morey sucks for not adding any depth to the Rockets. And McHale sucks at both coaching and player development.

Fire them both. :rolleyes:

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. Three starters out and 6-2. If you had said that the Rockets could ever go 6-2 with three starters I would have called you delusional. The Rockets also get the benefit of toughening up their bench. While winning at a 0.750 pace. An absolute masterpiece by the coaches and players. What does not kill you makes you stronger. And as usual, FTW is not apologizing for starting this thread. He should step up and admit that he was wrong. But I am not bitter, much ...

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. The whole organization deserves a lot of credit.

5. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

can someone tell me where i can find these specific set of rankings? thx

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why would you even care? McHale's work speaks for itself. He is proving himself a top five NBA coach. At the season start I had McHale as an above average NBA coach. But watching the defense and how well the team has adapted to injuries, IMHO top five. No less.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Oh by the way

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...hing-rankings-our-ratings-for-every-nba-coach

For all it is worth i.e. nothing.

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

McHale has appeared to do better overall so far especially with all the injuries the Rox have had this year and the Rox are still on a better pace than last year. I know a number of people get tired of this narrative but this team, coaching staff and front office ultimate measuring stick should still be the post season. I definitely again give credit to the commitment on defense that this team has shown and you have to give McHale and the upgrades on the coaching staff credit for this. Also championship experience from Terry and Ariza will be huge as well. This team lacked a lot of leadership last year and it showed come playoff time. I also feel perhaps last year's embarrassing playoff loss and few in mainstream media giving the Rox a chance to contend was what this team needed to fully focus.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You may be right. But by that measuring stick Coach Karl was a failure. Despite his sure fire entry into the HOF. Just saying that any postseason can be ruined by a couple of miraculous under one second shots. I believe that playoff success is a much better indicator for players than coaches.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Karl was a good coach no doubt and he will probably go to HOF, but his failure in postseason has tarnished his coaching legacy a tad and his coaching contract wasn't renewed in Denver after his latest playoff exit. There's been a lot of coaches to enjoy regular season success consistently but don't get their contracts renewed because of coming up short in the playoffs consistently. In pro sports its for the most part about contending or ultimately feeling like you are in contention. Few coaches survive repeated playoff failure, no matter what their teams do in the regular season. Players' legacy is also effected as well but the coach and at times the gm will get the quicker boot. That's just the way it is.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

What I like about Mchale is that he gives every player on the roster a fair shot at playing time. Players like Dorsey, Johnson, Canaan, and Clint would probably be riding the bench if Van Gundy or Adelman was coaching this team.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

McHale has done a great job. Anybody saying otherwise is being disingenuous.

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I felt like he was a big reason behind our playoff mess last year and now i feel like he's a huge reason we are where we are this year.. Pretty funny to think about

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Him letting Bickerstaff take the reigns defensively was the biggest improvement from him IMO. We now have a legit defense... and once we get Howard/Jones back our offense will improve as well.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i think -parsons and +Ariza and Harden deciding to play defense has the most to do with it.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People are obsessed with "X's and O's." I doubt that's the most important part of coaching. It can be delegated anyway. Being able to reach players--to have Dwight take you seriously instead of blowing you off, for example--might be more important than play calling. If McHale can hold Harden to a Hall of Fame standard rather than a superstar standard, that's better than "X's and O's." A lot of things go into coaching, and I'm glad we don't have Erik Spoelstra for a coach even though he won two championships.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have been saying for years that McHale will get an offer to continue coaching the Rockets. The only question is whether he will accept it. He is looking old and tired out there at times.

18. Remlap

Remlap Member

As my father in law used to say:
    "i came to jeer and stayed to pray"

People have been riding McHale since last year.
    But coaching a team to a winning record that's been written off as dead by losing
    4 key players is a testament to not only the players, but the coaches as well.
    They have to adjust the sails and use the talent they have left.

So far, McHale and his staff have done that. They should be the talk of the NBA
    right now.

But we still have fans calling for their heads. SMH...

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Ain't nothing more important than the playoffs
    Ain't nothing more important than the playoffs
    Hallelujah, hallelujah, praise God, hallelujah

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes there is: a championship.

But it gets hard trolling for championship coaches like Erik Spoelstra, doesn't it? So everyone just keep pretending "the playoffs" is the ultimate measure. That will let you keep advocating non-champions like Karl, JVG and Sloan.