1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media "Hating" watching the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tadow, Dec 1, 2014.

1. RESINator

RESINator Member

Media hates anyone who isn't big market

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

stephen a cheese puffs smith hadn't even heard of chandler parsons when he was on the rockets. but on dallas parsons is a budding star!

1 person likes this.
  3. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

This all seems pretty simple to me. Sports media coverage and talk is dictated (ridiculously IMO) by ESPN's decisions. ESPN has shown with the dollars they spend which markets they value the most (see ESPNNewYork, ESPNBoston, ESPNLosAngeles, ESPNChicago, and ESPNDallas). I am sure they have outstanding statistical and financial motivation for those decisions.

It isn't that they are racists, that they have it out for Houston, that they think Houston is dirty (like CP25 does), or anything like that...they just don't think Houston is a money maker for them. If you look at those cities that they have decided to favor, almost all of their teams in every sport get major billing year round. Even the Lakers in a despicable season still manage to have a feature written about them each week and a whole staff devoted to their every move.

But the important thing to remember is that it is nothing personal. Houston just wouldn't make them as much money. It is nothing for us to be mad about (heck, I am a STH and I see the empty seats game after game), but rather we are better off just being the bigger (wo)man.

We know we have a special team and organization here. Embrace it. Get your friends excited about it. Go to games. Get there early and stay until the end. Buy another jersey. But mostly just be happy that you get to be a part of it even if everybody else around the nation is too dumb to realize. Yeah...it gets annoying. But we will be okay. We'll get over it.

1 person likes this.
  4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

When we had our mediocre squad we always wanted to be known on the news but now that the media knows us we get hated.

[​IMG]

5. Tadow

Tadow Member

I would love to go to the games! Unfortunately I live in Dallas... It's hard to believe they wouldn't make money off of the Houston market though. It's huge with very diverse ethnic groups. I think my real beef is with the writers and analysts that are supposed to be super knowledgeable of the game yet are not catching on to what we're seeing.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I'm a Rockets fan and I think we're boring to watch. I hate Moreyball and how many 3's we shoot. We jack up a 3 every single time we're open and it is really annoying to watch. There's no offensive flow to the game when we jack up 3's like that.

On the flip side, I have been a huge fan of the Memphis Grizzlies in the Conley - Gasol - ZBO era. They are poetry in motion.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

OK buddy handover your Clutchfans membership card, lol.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't get it. How is slicing and carving a way through the lane to the hoop boring, but a long 2 is fun to watch? How is a long 2 more fun to watch than a 3? Did people think the Spurs were boring with their barrage of 3s these past two Finals? When the 3s are falling, the Rockets are fun as hell to watch. You got 3s, alley oops, creative driving by Harden in the lane, etc.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, but Houston isn't a small market (top ten NBA market), so I don't think that part is true. SA is finally getting their credit though.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

They loved Troy Daniels.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know about hating. But you got to admit that nobody likes to watch a lot of free throws. So I can understand that. And I also agree that Howard's post game is kind of ugly.

But the H&H PnR is beautiful. Harden going to the rim in traffic is also good basketball. 3pt shooting is always exciting, especially when they are falling. Nothing is more beautiful than the ball following a rainbow arch and end up at the bottom of the net. But when they are bricking shot after shot, then it's ugly.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think when they say the 3pt shot is boring, they are talking about the spot up shot. I kind of agree that a pull up shot is more fun to watch than a spot up shot. A pull up shot is usually a midrange shot, and 3 pointers are most likely spot up. But all shots are beautiful when they fall through the basket. Unfortunately the Rockets while shooting by far the most 3s, they are just mediocre in hitting them.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I only listen to homerism media outlets. Anyone else is irrelevant.

14. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Couldn't have said it any better. I looked at this roster during the summer and saw the potential for this level of play. Even though our schedule has been mostly a cakewalk, its impressive these no names have been producing at such a high level. Oh, and that guy with the beard, he's good too I guess.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I always found the Miami Lebrons an incredibly boring team to watch, but that didn't prevent them from winning championships

16. Dragon Blood

Dragon Blood Member

This.

We can speak of other teams' fluidity of offense or poetry in motion but we need stability of roster first before we can achieve that. Year after year we have different roster, heck even this season we can not have consistent starters due to injury. I agree that all shots are beautiful if they connect regardless of offensive scheme. Just give time. The ingredients are there. We just need roster stability and familiarity and the "fluidity" / "poetry in motion" will come.

1 person likes this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hate is a very close emotion to love. When they stop talking about us, then worry. The wins are what's up.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Explain San Antonio for me then. The media doesn't hate San Antonio the same way. Or Dallas. Why is Houston treated like the red-headed step-child?

19. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Well who's on our team to really like honestly? Ariza? :)
    People don't like Harden because of the so called "old man's game", Howard because of his drama in Orlando and LA. Beverley (Westbrook incident), plus he annoys the crap outta their PG's. So who's left, Terrance Jones, DMO, Canaan?

But it's better to be disliked n good, then to be liked n suck, so I'm fine with it.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

those free throws are hard to watch though. the starters called howard and harden "the boring bros"