1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Contender - Pretender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theteam, Nov 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. theteam

theteam Member

2. theteam

theteam Member

4. Contender or pretender: Houston Rockets?

Adande: Pretender. Their victories have been as disappointing as their losses lately. Barely beating Philadelphia at home with the 76ers on a back-to-back and squeaking by the depleted Thunder while Dwight Howard's manhood is questioned by a guy who's spent more time in a walking boot than on the court this season doesn't pass the championship sniff test. The one caveat: They match up well with San Antonio.

Arnovitz: Contender. I'm not ruling out any of the West's top half this season, because I think we're in a strange NFL/MLB-type season where a third of the league has a serious shot if it stays healthy. With Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza and a healthy Howard, this is an elite defense. James Harden can be hard to watch, but he manufactures offense. With a little more production from the 4 spot and a few more buckets from Ariza, it's all there.

Elhassan: Pretender!! The Rockets also suffer from a lack of depth. The ability to bring Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin off the bench last season was a luxury -- an expensive luxury, but a luxury nonetheless. While Kostas Papanikolaou has been a pleasant surprise, the bench has been inconsistent (especially on the defensive end) and limited. Like the Blazers, they'll have to pray for a healthy top seven come playoff time.

Gutierrez: Pretenders. Houston's largest void is at the power forward position, and with Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Anthony Davis and the rest of the West PFs lurking, Houston will need to improve at that spot to put itself over the top.

Strauss: Pretender. This one is tough for me because I think the Rockets can theoretically be top 10 in both offense and defense. There's just one nagging concern: They're really thin. The lack of depth is part of why Kevin McHale plays his stars too many minutes, which could bite them in the end. Unless Daryl Morey makes a move, I don't see it.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

People jumping off the Cavs bandwagon already

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Seems about right, they are actually quite mild in their stance. Bench = thin --> Morey's fault! Time to own up Daryl. Can you imagine with Bosh, what kind of bench we would've had?

5. junk151

junk151 Member

You wouldn't know it by watching games on TV. It looks like all their games have been on national TV so far lol.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Adande is a complete moron.

"Adande: Pretender. Their victories have been as disappointing as their losses lately. Barely beating Philadelphia at home with the 76ers on a back-to-back and squeaking by the depleted Thunder while Dwight Howard's manhood is questioned by a guy who's spent more time in a walking boot than on the court this season doesn't pass the championship sniff test. The one caveat: They match up well with San Antonio."

WTF was Dwight supposed to do? Punch him in the face and get suspended and then you'll be talking about his maturity issues.

The rest of the guys were reasonable I guess, I guess this is the kind of analysis you get from a LA homer.

7. theteam

theteam Member

I think the thought process with getting the 1 more star is that the bench comes to you after you secure the big three. That when the Ray Allen and Mike Millers of the world jump on to get a chip.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

There is an insider article now up about what the numbers say for who's a contender - anyone mind relaying what they say about Houston?

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The loss of a turnover ridden player, a player with a bad attitude and injury issues, and a player who cared far too much about his hair has crippled the Rockets. Those 3 players were the difference maker and now we're screwed. So says the media.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Most teams with 3 stars don't have the cap to field a deep bench. What it does allow them to do though is keep a star on the court at all times and that star makes the game easier for anyone you throw out on the court.

It's not a bad strategy, but you need to get one which is easier said than done.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dumb they all mention that there is a need at the PF spot - I wonder if they even noticed that our starting PF has been out 75% of the season so far. (but the part of being able to guard Griffin, Aldridge still holds true, but there would be much better production if Jones was around)

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

After the performance in the last 4 games, I completely agree with the hate. Massive amount left to prove. It won't get proved playing like this. We can say health this and health that but with Terrence's situation stretching into indefinite at a certain point you have to put up or shut up. Last 4, Houston has shut up.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know why Adande is sniffing Dwight's manhood.

But Houston has not played like a true contender overall.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1-4 against Arnovitz

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sorry Houston (and Washington), you are the biggest frauds, goodbye!

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is Washington DC on that list? They are a weak playoff contender in the East with a very old Pierce

17. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

so basically nobody on this list has a shot at winning?

18. dragician

dragician Member

Pretender:

Coaching staff knows ISO only.

1 person likes this.
  19. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

These type of polls go back and forth throughout the year but the Rox are pretenders at this point. The front court depth is laughable, bad head coach, questionable, gimmick offensive philosophy, etc. The main thing that had a lot of people thinking they turned a corner was their much improved defense. The other areas, however, if not fixed and upgraded are too much to overcome I believe for the Rox to be taken seriously.

20. bfpri

bfpri Member

not really. we were pretenders before they left and we are pretenders after they left.