1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

espn draft coverage

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gr8-1, Jun 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Was it me, or was that horrible? Give it back to tnt, my God. They didn't really analyze the needs of the teams. I liked how the tnt guys did this and how they also predicted the next pick.

And this bothered me: Tirico, while interviewing some gm, saying "what you see and hear is the next pick. We'll discuss the relevant ones...." [mad]

2. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

It wasn't just you.

3. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

You weren't the only one. I want Peter Vecsey, Sir Charles, Kenny the Jet, and Ernie Johnson going at it as they always do. They are entertaining (Tom Tolbert is not only a total boob, but he's as entertaining as watching grass grow or paint dry. Jay Bilas is a college hoops guy and don't even get me started on that moron Dickie V !!!!! :mad::mad: :mad: ) and they actually bring up some good points about the picks. I'm really not happy with the ESPN/ABC NBA coverage and I believe they have a looooooooong way to go to even come close to the NBA on TNT and NBC.

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

This was the worst draft I have ever seen! They didn't really get in depth with the person who was drafted like TNT did. And if I have to hear Dick Vitale go on and on about how college players are better I'm go hang myself!!

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

i would have put up with all if that if there was ONE frikkin major trade! thats all i wanted. a trade of any noteworthiness whatsoever. but no, only troy bell and daunte jones for some unlv guy and perkins. wow, what a blockbuster.

6. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I get home from class hoping to hear the TNT crew, but NOOOOOO......I get Tolbert, Dickey V., and the rest of the 'B' team.
    Does anyone have any info on why the coverage of the draft was given to ESPN?

At the very least they could have had Walton there.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

TnT is much better. Barkley Jet etc are much more entertaining. Its not just ESPN that has biased hosts such as Dicky V, wasnt everybody accusing Jet and Sir Charles of being biased towards the Americans, about this time last year?

8. darin1998

darin1998 Member

The graphics were nice but that was it. And why was Greg Anthony on the show? They never let him say anything. Too many college guys who don't seem to know the NBA game (Tirico, Dickey, and the other guy); overall they think everyone is a star or super star and never really focus of legitimate weaknesses. I'm not sure of the term but there seems to be a lot of positive spin/slanting. I like the NFL where true analysis is done on each player (and it's discussed). And why is Dickey even on the show... he never says anything negative about any college player. This is the problem with the NBA... too much hype and not enough action. I don't think they make it known how difficult and slim it is to make it in the league. But hey, it's about selling advertising and not about making me happy.

(maybe am just pissed I watched the whole draft an when the Rockets pick comes they go to commercial and don't really give any info).

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

Way too busy for my taste. It was like looking at a bad web page. Scrolling text. Blinking Text. Annoying sounds. Blah. Keep it simple.

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

They asked him but he declined to be with Luke.
    That might have been an awkward conflict of interest anyway.

11. darin1998

darin1998 Member

One more point whiile I am on a rant. Did anyone catch Tirico on the Dan Patrick show 6.26 (draft day)? He's a Syracuse guy and they asked him about the ACC-Big East debacle and he goes off on Virginia Tech and Miami like it's a personal vandetta. I understand his complaint about the weakening of the Big East in football, but he starts ripping on ACC teams like North Carolina, Georgie Tech, and Georgia for voting for expansion saying how they will (with the addition on Miami and VT) never win the BCS let along a conference title. It's total BS since if I am one of those schools I welcome the competition, national media, and more money coming from bowl games. HE and Dan at the end say something like "now none of these schools can ever say it was't about the money." Um, come on, it's always about the money, especially at the conference level. I guess I used to like Tirico until today with the him on Dan PAtrick and at the draft. HE should stick to golf which he is IMO good at.

End of rant.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Is it just me, or was that the most boring draft ever?

I mean, nothing happened. Signifigant trades? No. Surprise picks? No. Interesting commentary? No. *yawn*

13. adrian

adrian Member

ESPN/ABC have done a horrible job with the NBA this season, with their B-team commentators/NBA scrubs to movie preview duirng halftime of the Finals. And now, the most doring draft ever, no team analysis, no predicting the next player taken, no drama, nothing.

AC

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Ah, the Hubie Brown factor.

That is why many are saying that ESPN's coverage did not go as much in depth.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have to admit, I didn't like Charles' and Kenny's xenophobia last year, but they are otherwise immensely entertaining. These guys, I kept looking at my fingernails: "Maybe I should cut'em. Yeah, I'll cut'em. Hmn, cut. Maybe I should cut the grass tomorrow? Nah...."

Boring, boring, just like the way ESPN calls the NBA games. No flavor at all.

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Stuart Scott is an embarassment, Tolbert is more of a scrub as an announcer than as a player, I could no understnad the graphics at all, and their overall coverage sucks. ABS and ESPN make it feel as uninteresting as some Wide World Of Sports gymnastics competition or something.

17. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

At least Michelle TaFoya looked pretty hot . . .:D

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Count me in as one that really ENJOYED ESPN's coverage this year. It was leagues better than TNT's coverage. Here are my thoughts...

Finally we get REAL analysis from people such as Jay Bilis that actually COVERS college basketball. On TNT we had Kenny Smith and Barkley cracking jokes.

ESPN does a great job with their treament of the NFL Draft and did the same treament for their NBA draft. Very sharp! Also, on TNT's draft other than Charles or Kenny making uninformed opinions on players they have NOT scouted or scene play yet, here on ESPN's coverage we had people that actually have seen these players play including the foreigners.

Information men, David Aldrige and Jim Gray (who I hate) did a good job with trades and broke a number of stories. Andy Katz was all over the foreign players with all sorts of information. Michele Tafoya was good in her interviews.

The only downside was Vitale's xenophobia and diarehha of the mouth and Steward Scott's lame interviews.

Let me say that I REALLY enjoy Kenny Smith, Charles and EJ. They do a WONDERFUL job of doing Inside the NBA. They are very "entertaining." But on a DRAFT show, a show in which we want ANALYSIS about COLLEGE and FOREIGN players, that Inside the NBA group is out of their league. They don't have the knowledge to inform. And that is what the draft is about. It is about INFORMING the viewers more so than a dog and pony show to entertain. That is why the NFL Draft with Mel Kiper is always interesting. The INFORMATION, the ANALYSIS and the breakdown of each pick. Not just a bunch of jokes.

ESPN did a great job in my opinion and look forward to the years to come with their draft coverage!

19. adrian

adrian Member

RKMAN is right, Michelle TaFoya looked really hot last night.

AC

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I will take Michelle TaFoya over Craig Segar doing interviews ANY day! Better interviews and easier on the eyes! ;)