1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question About Morey's Plans To Upgrade Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Nov 15, 2014.

1. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

Lol well good because that was stated in the 2nd to last paragraph :rolleyes:. If you had continued on with it you would've realized what I was trying to say was package our end of the bench guys/rooks, for anything even a 2nd, to open up a roster spot and clear more cap.

2. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

I like Andray Blatche, but I think the big priority and what we need out of the backup 5 is rim protection. That is not one of Blatches strong suits. Now if we were to somehow lose DMO, then their is a niche for Blatche to fill.

3. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

I agree I don't think Morey is going after "superstars" anymore. I think spending 20 million on a superstar player is a bad way to allocate resources. That superstar wont get the same amount of touches/looks/and opportunities. I'd be much happier spending said 20 million on 2 star level guys. Thus balancing the roster and allocating money efficiently.

But I don't think Morey will try for that during the season. If he waits until the offseason he'll have maximum flexibility and be able to retain his assets for further moves down the line.

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Right now, he shouldn't do anything except look at cheap options at backup center (Okafor, O'Neal, etc).

But if there was a good time to push for a title, it would be this year. The two teams that give us the most trouble, Thunder and Clippers, are not contenders at the moment. And who knows how long Dwight has left past this season.

Not saying we put all our chips right now but that NOP pick is losing value everyday and it would be a waste to let Lin's TPE expire. The Rockets are so close to being full contenders right now, I think. Add a player like Millsap for Jones and the NOP pick and shore up the bench slightly and we are as good as anybody.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

But at what cost? What are you giving up for said legit backup C?

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Jermaine O'neal makes so much sense. He's a perfect fit for the Rockets current team.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1) i think we lose the TPE if we decide to operate under the salary cap. maybe Bima can confirm?

2) forget millsap, the window is closed. he signed with ATL back when he was looking for a starting spot, he would've been happy to be our starting PF and 4th option on offense. now he's the #1 player on a playoff team. he's worth more to the hawks than he is to us, and the hawks will overpay to keep him.

3) morey is a vulture -- look at the teams on the bottom of the conference standings in the east and west. those are the teams who will want the NOP pick (our most valuable asset), and those are the teams who will be willing to part ways with talent for picks and salary savings.

PHX - dragic
    DEN - lawson, faried, mozgov, hickson, arthur, foye
    MIN - rubio, young

BOS - rondo, faverani
    DET - monroe, josh smith
    NYK - dalembert

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

One problem I have now about any roster upgrades is, well, Papanikolaou. Clearly he was given a trade-friendly contract: more than Morey wanted to give the rookie initially, but just enough to help us in a trade for That Player, while being essentially an expiring contract of a value that some GM could convince his owner, "Look, it doesn't suck."

Now the young man has showed us hustle, defense, excellent passing, and the occssional hot-from-the-three-point-line shooting. He still has his growing pains, but I'd much rather keep him.

So hopefully Morey can keep the promising rookie and his sexy $4.8 million out of any future trade discussions. UNLESS we get someone out-muhf***ing-standing in return.