1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Career Advice (Chemical Plant Operator)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck88, Aug 27, 2008.

1. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

LOL....I feel sorry for the kid

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you have already made your decision, but I'd like to chime in with a bit about the job security that you mentioned before. As weslinder mentioned, there is a lot to know being an operator, but that doesn't mean that some total dimwits don't make it into the job either. I've never actually performed the work of a plant operator, but I've worked around them for about 6 years now (both in an administrative capacity and then as an engineering contractor) and it seems to me that in most plants if you are not lazy (there is downtime as an operator, but when there is work to be done, do it) and you are not an idiot, you can be pretty secure in your job.

Safety is indeed a factor, and the emphasis on safety can be pretty widespread from company to company. I've learned enough as an engineering contractor to never want to set foot in a BP site if I can avoid it (even with all the incidents they have had, they continue to do things certain ways simply because "that's how we've always done it"). I couldn't say what Lyondell's safety record is, but I will say this. They just recently merged with a company called Basell, so whatever benefits you were quoted could be subject to change very soon. From what I hear, Basell is historically a lot tighter with their money than Lyondell was, so you never know.

Sorry for the long post.

3. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

hilarious! :D

4. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Been in training for 3 weeks now and must admit I am a bit overwhelmed. Pumps, exchangers, turbines, ect. I know we have maintenance and contractors out there who do the major repairs but how much does the operator actually do? I guess my perception of what an operator actually does was off. I thought it was all filling out work permits and sitting in front of a board all day. Any operators out there or someone who knows operators willing to pass on their insight. Thanks.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

did they give you a test on just different technical things, and how different tools worked and things like that. I took a test for a position like that and failed miserably. not good with the hands.

anyway, dude working in a plant as an operator is about the best job you can have as far as money is concerned that doesn't require a degree. i'm sure you've seen how much some of the guys who've been there a while make.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

I cant believe its taken this long......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjEdLuqK1RQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjEdLuqK1RQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Soak in as much of the process as possible. I've worked two different jobs in my unit and know the process backwards and forwards in both (as one process is the feedstock for the other). Ask some of the old hands about troubleshooting and what things to look at first when something goes wrong. Usually if there is a process upset, the first five to ten minutes are critical as far as getting the unit back online with minimal repurcussions. Contractors and maintenance do most of the repairs and major work, but its still nice to watch what they do and ask questions, most of them are happy to tell you what the equipment does and what to look for if you're having trouble. Be sure to carry your gloves, flashlight, channel locks and valve wrench, cause you usually need them. If you have any other questions, shoot me an email or post on here and I'll be happy to help any way that I can.

8. da1

da1 Member

Of all the possible jobs in chemical plants and refineries, operator is by far the easiest. Seems like those guys don't do anything, but they are liable for a lot at the same time. The control room is the SAFEST place you could ever be. Bomb-proof. That's why during the hurricane some people chose to stay as operators because they would be safer there than at their own homes.

9. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Hell no..

10. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Hey Buck I know this thread is a few years old I'm just wondering how has it worked out for you?