1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wasn't a fan of sao...decent but too many forgettable tropes with sloppy exposition.

I guess I'll wait for responses of how season 2 finishes before devoting time on it

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

With the way the series is going, wouldn't be surprised if the main character dies and they replace him with a new one.

3. mikus

mikus Member

The problem with this season's schedule is that other than Hunter x Hunter, we got nothing to talk about during the week. Then on the weekend, someone's gotta dig this thread up from about 5 pages back.

Anyways, was this cliffhanger Saturday or what? Both SAO II and Aldnoah left us with crazy cliffhangers. In the case of Aldnoah, I have to say, I did not see that coming.

Akame ga kill took another bizarre turn this week as well. I have to say, one of the things I find most enjoyable about this show is that you never know what's coming next.

4. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

I just started Tokyo Ghoul. I love gory animes. The first episode got me. I think it's worth watching. I'm not sure if it has been discussed since I havent been on much, but here's a clip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qfhzKPqpIlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Yea so far for me Akame, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO II, Aldnoah

6. ashiin

ashiin Member

Anybody watch Black Bullet?

7. chow_yun_fat

Starts out great and fizzles out.

Back on topic, seems like all the torrent sites are getting DDoS hammered. Rumor is going around it's an legal attack by the Japanese Government. If the attacks last longer than a week, looks like I'll have to turn to Crunchyroll to watch the few animes I keep up with and be a week behind everyone else.

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

I like how aldnoah zero has no previews. I don't watch them anyway as I consider them spoilers.

9. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Quick PSA:

Netflix periodically loses shows, and they're losing some anime at the end of the month. On September 27th Samurai Champloo will be gone, and on October 1st they'll lose Eden of the East, D. Gray-man, and Chobits. I'd particularly recommend checking out those first two if you haven't already.

They're also losing Battlestar Galactica... boo...

10. chow_yun_fat

Latest eps of HxH is great, as usual! His hand was creeeepy.

11. mikus

mikus Member

I love this comment from Crunchyroll about the episode:

Made me LOL.

12. ashiin

ashiin Member

Caught up with Aldnoah and Akame. Really really loving Akame right now but Aldnoah is interesting enough for me to keep going. Planning on reading Akame after the season is over because apparently the manga is a lot better.

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Been a while since I jumped in this thread. Time for a little round up of what I've been watching.

The Aldnoah.Zero OST dropped, which is AWESOME. This track here is my favorite opening or ending of any anime this season:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wn84H9Ojsak?list=FLd8obBR_pGzwyJtfiOPJx-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The show itself has remained pretty good and is keeping a position in my personal top three this season. The death scene last week was pretty brutal and a great cliffhanger, and even though it was pretty much mitigated in the latest episode, I like the way it kinds sets up things going forward with Rayet's character development. Getting a little impatient with them not explaining Inaho's almost total lack of emotion, but I'm sure its coming. Also looks like Marito may finally become useful soon, which is something his character sorely needs. The fact that the shelter at the end of the last ep had a excess of provisions due to not enough refugees making it there was a good way to show just how devastating the invasion of Earth has been.

Akame Ga Kill is proceeding awesomely. Still finding the storyline and characters incredibly interesting and the action remains top notch. The fact that you have no idea what character the show will have the balls to kill off next makes every fight scene incredibly exciting. I thought the plotline with the Big Bad falling in love with our main character would be kinda stupid, but instead its been pretty hilarious. If I'm Tatsumi though, I'm turning complete traitor as soon as Esdeath sat down on the bed beside me in those insanely revealing PJs and said she was down for whatever... "Alright, it's been real, Night Raid! Peace!" Too bad shounen gonna shounen though, lol

Zankyou no Terror still has beautiful animation and interesting characters, but I'm getting impatient waiting to find out what the f--k happened to these kids. We're getting bits and pieces now, but without the addition of a new Nine/Twelve bomb plot for Shibazaki to foil every week it feels like its starting to drag. I'm not really all that intrigued by Five. At least not yet. There are some clues that her character may be heading somewhere interesting though. This show only has 12 episodes to complete its story or arc, so I really hope it manages to do so in a satisfying fashion. At least its got a good drinking game going for it: "Every time Lisa f--ks something up, take a shot."

Still all in on Tokyo Ghoul, though the censorship is getting on my last damn nerve. Sometimes you literally have no idea what's making the characters recoil in horror since they black/edit out anything gory (usually the same exact sh-t Akame Ga Kill gets to show without a problem). I like the introduction of Touka's crazy/evil(?) brother and the fact that everything falling apart for the ghouls in the 20th ward. I meant, their little peaceful setup was cool and all, but this show is all about action. I wish they hadn't killed off crazy-ass Mado just yet. That dude's insanity was a bottomless source of entertainment. I mean, the brutal way the offed Hinami's parents with zero f--ks given? That was gold. Recruiting Tsukiyama to help save Kaneki from Jason (who is a TOTAL badass) seems absolutely nuts. I thought he was dead as hell anyway, but with the censoring it was impossible to tell honestly. Still, this dude is looking at this as just a mission to save his dinner. Pretty sure he is not a team player, lol.

I have to admit, Sword Art Online 2 has been really damn good so far. The mystery of Death Gun in unraveling at a good, steady pace, and they're managing to actually make Kirito's character interesting instead of a walking, talking cliche. Sinon's PTSD from her traumatic past now making itself apparent even in the game world is going to seriously force her to face some demons and really develop as a character which will be pretty interesting to see. The action and animation in this show has been seriously ON POINT (That robot horse shoot out/chase scene that ended in the massive explosion? HELL YES). Even the backgrounds are freaking beautiful. God, I hope this doesn't go off the rails halfway through this run like the 1st season did...

Getting closer and closer to the ending of the Hunter x Hunter anime, which really sucks. We have what, like 3 episodes left? Man... Was looking forward to reading the manga every week after the show ends, but then I find out IT'S ON INDEFINITE HIATUS TOO?! AGAIN?! Godammit Togashi... The impending Gon and Ging meeting better be good.

Watched the new Kill La Kill OVA a few days ago. Enjoyed it, as usual, and now consider it the true ending to the anime. Basically it was just a delayed 25th episode. Provided a lot of closure on the characters and gave Honnoji Academy one last massively epic battle before disbanding. That's all I could ask for. Man, I can't believe how nostalgic I felt about returning to an anime that ended only 6 months ago, haha. I don't know what it is, but I just really love Kill La Kill. Was awesome to return to these characters and kinetic animation style one last time.

Bummed about the ending of the Kuroko No Basket manga at chapter 275. I really thought there would be a World Tournament arc which would ultimately end with the Generation of Miracles vs the USA or something similar, but I guess so much for that. Definitely going out on top though since the manga was 2nd or 3rd in overall manga sales in Japan behind just Attack on Titan and One Piece. At least there should be enough content left for 2 25 episode seasons of the anime, depending on how they go about it.

And man, the Naruto anime is pulling off a freaking miracle right now, adapting some of the worst material from the Shippuden manga and somehow making it awesome. The fight between Obito and Kakashi, which was absolutely lackluster in the source material, was INCREDIBLE in the anime. One of the best fights in the show's entire run. And the way they're adapting Obito its like he's not even the same person. Much more menacing and complex a character than what Kishimoto originally wrote him as. The anime just might save the manga from itself.

Good stuff all around right now, and we've got Luffy and Law finally taking on Doflamingo in the One Piece manga, which promises to be all kinds of EPIC. This summer the sheer quantity of good anime/manga has been downright legendary.

14. mikus

mikus Member

I'm going to jump in here with a Netflix recommendation. I just marathoned Psycho-Pass on Netflix this past week and I really liked it. It's set in a world similar to Minority Report, where people are scanned and potential criminals are stopped before they commit crimes. In one of the episodes, they even mentioned Philip K. Dick. One of the characters basically says, this world isn't oppressive enough to be 1984, it's not wild enough to be William Gibson, it's more like a Philip K. Dick story...lol. I liked it though, it's gritty, has an interesting setting, and ask some pretty good philosophical questions about free will and what people are willing to give up or security.

I've been impressed with what Netflix has picked up recently, even though their anime selection is still quite small. I also really liked Knights of Sidonia as well, and now they also have SAO, Attack on Titan, and Hunter x Hunter.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Loved everything about Psycho Pass except for the Big Reveal, which I found to be a bit underwhelming. Still, very enjoyable series.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I guess we finally got a little romance in Akame ga Kill instead of the constant death...amirite?!

17. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Teared up watching HxH today. I'll cry even more in 2 episode during the finale.. :(:(:(

18. chow_yun_fat

Them feels, I'm going to miss HxH :(
    I love how they expressed somethings face.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

That Tokyo Ghoul finale... WOW. That was incredible. What an emotional ride.

20. chow_yun_fat

I read that the manga is a lot more gruesome than the anime (Tokyo Ghoul). Why did the anime remove a lot of it? :( I also read that there's going to be a season two of the anime (yay!).

If you guys haven't watched ao haru ride, I think it's a great anime. I'm not usually into the high school love drama bs, but this one rocks. Sagebu has it's ups and downs. Some eps kinda suck, but some are really funny. I also liked Nobunaga's Concerto. I don't know if it's all fiction, but it's interesting watching the history of Nobunaga.

I was browsing the fall anime list and stoked to see yowashi pedal back and gundam! Don't know about the other anime's, will have to skim through the first eps to see if I'll like it or not.