1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Logistics of eventual Rockets quantity-for-quality trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Aug 22, 2014.

1. rogower

rogower Member

It should be clear to all Rockets fans by now that Daryl Morey is waiting for an opportunity to trade some if not all of his stash of valuable but expendable assets for a big upgrade at PG or PF.

It should also be clear that, in order for the salaries to add up, Houston will need to use its traded player exception to acquire a player who will make around $6.5-$8.0 mil in 2014-15. This player will probably be a) not very good and b) in the final year of his contract (making his contract an "expiring contract"). Three players who make about $6.5-$8.0 mil in 2014-15 who fit this description are Wilson Chandler, Tayshaun Prince, and Landry Fields.

Thus, we can expect Houston to eventually use its TPE ("traded player exception") for one of these three contracts/players, and for this player to be packaged with some combination of the following assets in exchange for an Eric Bledsoe or a Rajan Rondo:

New Orleans first round pick
    Clint Capela
    Isaiah Canaan
    Nick Johnson
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Nonguaranteed contracts (Alonzo Gee, Scotty Hopson, Josh Powell)

MY QUESTIONS:

1) Can the TPE be part of a three-team deal, wherein, for example, the TPE goes to Toronto, Landry Fields, the New Orleans first round pick, Clint Capela, Isaiah Canaan, Alonzo Gee, and Donatas Motiejunas go to Phoenix, and a signed-and-traded Eric Bledsoe goes to Houston? This would be fine, right?

2) On what date may all of Houston's current players be traded?

3) By what date must Eric Bledsoe accept the qualifying offer?

I appreciate answers to these questions.

Obviously I am trying to figure out if/when a quantity-for-quality trade will occur.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't think you can trade the exception. It's just a way for teams to accept a player in a trade for up to or equal to the exception.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

A TPE can't be traded. It is used to absorb incoming salary in a trade when a team is over the cap.

In your senario, Toronto could just send Fields to Phoenix and get a TPE without involving the Rockets.

#4 WinkFan, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. try

try Member

1) No. You CAN'T trade a TPE. It can only be used by the team owning the TPE to "absorb" a contract with a salary up to the worth of the TPE + 100k.
    In your scenario, the Rockets would send out $6.5 million and would only be able to take back a salary slightly under $10 million which obviously wouldn't be enough for Bledsoe. However, if you added the unguaranteed contracts of Hopson and Powell, the Rockets could take back about $14 million.

2)
    Johnson, Capela: August 23
    Papanikolaou: September 8
    Gee, Hopson (and Ariza): September 15
    Smith, Dorsey, Adrien: October 19

3) The qualifying offer expires on October 1, so I guess it's September 30.

6. stussysupreme

stussysupreme Member

What happens when Bledsoe still isnt signed after Oct 1?

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Why not just trade Gee, Hopson and Powell (all non-guaranteed contracts) for one of those guys and preserve the $8.4M trade exception for something else (like taking back bad contracts in a salary dump)?

That is what I proposed in my last salary cap update.

Also, Wilson Chandler has two years left on his deal (the second is partially guaranteed).

8. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

1 Qualifying offer is exercised what Greg Monroe is doing.

9. rogower

rogower Member

Houston could go that route, too, I suppose, seems to me that Morey presently has a ton of flexibility, although he'll have quite a bit less flexibility once rosters have to be trimmed to 15. Which is why he is presumably pretty active right now. Presumably a trade for Bledsoe would occur between 9/15 (when Gee and Hopson are trade eligible) and 9/30 (day before Bledsoe must accept qualifying offer).

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Papa 4.5
    Gee 3
    Motie 1.6
    Hopson 1.5

Total: 10.6

So basically Morey can package those 4 together (2 non-guaranteed, 1 expiring), and trade for a $15.6m player (within $5m).

I don't see why we would need to acquire someone with the TPE just to send them out for matching purposes? I kind of thought that was one point in signing Papanikolaou? So that there is the ability to use him as an expiring salary matcher within 30 days. Or did I get that wrong?

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think that the rockets will have to add Johnson or Capela and obviously the NOP pick. Do that and then use the TPE and some picks for Ilyasova. That will pretty much lock in the starting five (unless there are any future trades of course) for the next few years and make them a favorite in the west.

Bledsoe/Bev/Canaan/Smith
    Harden/Daniels/Garcia
    Ariza/Covington/Adrien
    Ilyasova/Jones
    Howard/Dorsey

They need another back up big but I'm sure that they could figure something out.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

DM is probably hoping some of these guys outperform their value to attract a team. Might even see someone considerably outperform the perceived value. Still lots of time for deals to happen.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I was just illustrating that we can trade for 15m without goo much trouble.

Needs to be done before rosters get trimmed to 15.

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

In your scenario, team would still have BAE (Okafor, Udph, O'Neal, etc.)

15. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to suck seeing Nick traded. Same with Clint, but to a lesser degree.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I see Canaan being the odd man out. Suns multiple PG system seems to value scoring (Canaan) over potential (Johnson).

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Plus Suns already have a Nick Johnson (raw combo guard) type who they drafted in 2013 and are very high on, Archie Goodwin.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the TPE can be used to absorb a player up to nearly $8.5M, I assume that the Rockets could just send a 2nd rounder for a player like Tayshaun Prince. But could such a move be part of another trade where they immediately trade Prince to another team along with Gee, Hopson, etc. in order to bring in a player with a higher salary?

19. rogower

rogower Member

This is my question, as well. Can the trade be a three team deal, in other words? A trade like this:

2015 second round draft pick from Houston to Memphis

Tayshaun Prince (acquired by Houston via TPE), Alonzo Gee, Clint Capela, Isaiah Canaan, & New Orleans first round pick to Phoenix

Eric Bledsoe signed and traded (four years, $60 mil?) to Houston

?

Is this sort of trade allowed? My purpose in creating this thread is to try to flesh out what a quantity-for-quality trade might look like, and the logistics/timing of it all.

Everybody should understand that Phoenix DOES NOT want Bledsoe to accept the qualifying offer and enter the 2015 free agent season as an unrestricted free agent. Phoenix will FOR SURE either a) re-sign Bledsoe or b) sign-and-trade him to the highest bidder prior to 10/1. It should go without saying that this sense of urgency may result in the Suns not getting exactly what they want for Bledsoe, but beggars can't be choosers. Note the ongoing tendency of Daryl Morey smelling blood and exploiting other teams. THIS is why he is disliked, ultimately.

Keep in mind that Phoenix will likely look to flip some if not all of the assets received for Bledsoe to some other team for a center, e.g., Roy Hibbert or, more likely (IMO), Larry Sanders.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No it's not allowed, because it's effectively 2 trades (the TPE absorption can't be used like that)