1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a recipe for dinner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So I am a pretty decent for a home cook but I really only branch out to a new recipe or dish every once and awhile. Just looking for something that is not too involved to make for the myself and the wife tonight? Not too picky on what we eat... Anyone have any good recipe they are willing to share?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Something easy and good is a chicken dish with steamed vegetables and bearnaise sauce.

Knorr makes a mix that just uses milk and butter.

Grill/or bake the chicken. An easy marinade is olive oil and Montreal chicken seasoning. Or do lemon pepper.

For the vegs do asparagus or squash zucchini.

Serve over rice. Simple and good.

3. droxford

droxford Member

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Try and make a red wine reduction sauce if you haven't before. I love to cook but didn't branch out much until I started watching Chopped and this was one of my favorite new things I made. They are super easy and you can throw in whatever you want. I made an amazing one once with cheap red wine, RC cola, chicken stock and some fresh herbs I had laying around. They will go good with steak (if you like sauce on steak, I personally do not), chicken, pork, and vegetables. The flavor is really strong so you don't need much. They can really make a meal.

I am sure you can make a better one and I am sure we will have some cooking snobs chiming in here. Here is a link to a sample recipe but its more fun to just make it up as you go. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/...=213139&origin=detail&servings=4&metric=false

Some more I like:
    Grilled chicken kabobs with an easy cucumber yogurt sauce (kind of like tzatziki) over jasmine or yellow saffron rice with fried pita bread and hummus as a side for a nice Greekish meal

Bourbon burgers: drink bourbon, get buzzed, make patties, pour splash of bourbon on each patty and grill.

Hawaiian stir fry: fresh pineapple, grilled teriyaki chicken, rice, classic stir fry veggies all in a nice big stir fry.

5. body slam

body slam Member

corn pudding - its not a main course but a different side

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

see Pinterest

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Truss and season a 3-4 lb chicken and roast it in a 475º oven for 25 minutes. Lower the temp to 400º and continue roasting for 40-45 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 160º. Let rest for 10 min before carving.

As the chicken is roasting you can prepare whatever starch and veg you want to go with it. Super easy, non labor-intensive, and if it's just you and your wife there's a good chance you'll have leftovers for chicken salad the next day.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Easiest recipe ever.
    On a wire rack in baking dish to elevate away from fat:
    Boneless chicken breast (pounded flat)
    Seasoned to taste
    Cover with sliced bacon
    cook at 400 until bacon is cooked (approx 30-40 mins)

Guaranteed to be moist and delicious.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Thanks CCorn... I use the beef stroganoff packet by the other companys (McCormicks?) sometimes. Never had the Bearnaise but will be trying it. Going to take some baby yellow potatoes, red pepper, sweet yellow onion and green beans and coat them in salt, pepper, fresh garlic and then bake the whole thing in tinfoil for awhile to go along with the chicken.

11. The Boz

The Boz Member

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Béarnaise is tasty and simple. It's my go to when I'm feeling lazy.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is another reason why I'm glad I got married. :)

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-tacos

Dont let the kale throw you, it's pretty good. I use sour cream instead of the mex crem, since it's cheaper. For the first time, feel free to grill a chicken breast and just use the kale/sweet potato as a topping, in case you're afraid you wont like it. It really doesnt have a strong kale taste.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Oh, I also like to throw in some shrooms. good for the texture.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Salmon + Miracle Whip + Panko into in an oven. Bake till panko is golden brown or whenever you like the salmon.

#17 Invisible Fan, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Anyone have any meat recipes for non meat eaters? I'm hosting a large gathering next week.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

We tried cooking Gordon Ramsay's miso salmon from his Ultimate Cookery course. Flavor was really good, even if I ****ed up cooking the salmon. Here's the relevant section from his recipe book:

We also made the chopped salad from the book, too, which was really good:

If you can find episodes of the show, I recommend it. The salmon is from episode 2, and the salad is from episode 20.

I'm sure you can halve the proportions if it's just y'all. I was able to get every ingredient above except the kaffir lime leaves at Central Market. The salmon was really fresh, too.

#20 Depressio, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014