1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans and History #1: 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was a freshman at A&M, where school had started not even 2 weeks before that. I remember sitting in the computer lab printing out some homework when my friend (and secret crush) called and asked if I had seen the news. I didn't know what she was talking about, but she sounded like she was crying, so I told her I'd be over to see what was happening, and we spent the rest of the day in her dorm room glued to the TV.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I was in the 6th grade. I went to school next to NASA so a lot of my classmates got taken by their parents in fear of that being the next hit location. I was upset later on when I found out that they said Arabs did it. I am fortunate enough to live in a diverse city that didnt pick on me for being Arab or Muslim. That day would change my life in more ways than one.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I was six and didn't really understand what was going on. I remember sitting in class with only a handful of kids because nearly everybody pulled their kids out of school in case it got attacked (because apparently a random NJ elementary school is a high value target). There's a thread on it from that day.

Do any of you guys remember Waco, OKC bombing, or Columbine? I was way too young to remember either of those.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was single and between jobs at the time and I had an interview that afternoon at 1. I woke up to this company leaving me a message saying "for obvious reasons" the interview would have to be postponed. Had no idea what she was talking about until I turned on the radio and heard a lady saying "the building is gone...the whole building is just.....gone."

I would argue that it's the most significant historical event since Pearl Harbor. Or perhaps the Kennedy assassination.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: There are already a bunch of "WHAT WERE YOU DOING on SEPTEMBER 11, 2001?" threads.

September 11th Rememberance http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=153896
    What were you doing on September 11, 2001? http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=41107
    Remember 9/11/01: Where were you that day?http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=208521
    Remembering 9/11 http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=117598
    Sept 11th...The Personal Account Remembered. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=64317

^^^ See if you've already posted there, and point us to the post. No need to use up more in the database. :p

The Original Thread

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wait, you're telling us that thread topics get repeated over the course of 13 years on an internet forum?

And furthermore, that arguably the single most important event in our nation over the last 13 years should be the one topic for which there are *not* repeat threads?

Swolys gonna Swoly.

I clicked "view this post" just in case he was sharing something personal from that awful day. Live and learn.

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Yeah I just saw my post on there and was like who da hell wrote that... chalk it up to being 22. It used to happen all the time... luckily we have the debate/discussion forum now, which I avoid.

8. SwoLy-D

That's the most important event in your nation... but it doesn't mean you can't remember if you've already posted about it.

I never said NOT to repeat. Alls I am saying is check to see if you've already posted "what I was doing on that dreadful day" and point us to it or simply you don't have to say it again. :eek:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why do you feel the need to ruin every ****ing thread you post in?

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

Bringing up the links to the old threads of the same topic is ruining? My, aren't we sensitive. :p

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, you're throwing a perfectly fine thread off-topic, just like you always do.

12. SwoLy-D

Off-topic? My recount is in there. No need for me to post in this one of what "I was doing" on Sept. 11, 2001. :eek: If you'd like to read it, be my guest. I linked it for your pleasure, because I know you're interested.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't have to read it. We know what you were doing.

14. SwoLy-D

LOL! That's entertaining. I'm no ToyCen. :grin:

EDIT: AND I meant other people's recounts of their whereabouts, not mine...

#34 SwoLy-D, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i was in my 6th grade in the world history class when the first one hit. my next period was pre-algebra and the teacher had the news on

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was in NYC, boarded the #1 train downtown roughly 8:35am. the train stopped at 23rd street and we sat there for a while with the doors open, but not moving, and the dispatcher announced we were being held due to "a incident [sic]" at chambers street.

i was pissed because my stop was the next one, 18th street. after a bit, someone came running on to the train and announced a plane had crashed into the WTC.

if you'd every been to the top of the WTC, you often saw small planes flying lower than the towers up the hudson, so the idea of a cessna or similar crashing into one of the buildings was not inconceivable.

i realized we weren't going anywhere soon so got out to walk to 20 & B'way where my office was. crossing 6th ave i looked downtown and there was a very clear view of smoke pouring from the north tower. tons of people were in the middle of the street, looking and pointing, and i had a very difficult time processing what I was seeing, so i continued on to work.

somewhere between then and when i got off the elevator on my floor, the 2nd plane hit the south tower.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I was a high school freshmen at the time and missed the bus. My dad gave me ride but the car broke down less than 5 min from the school. The tow truck guy was nice enough to give drop me off to school. He had the radio and they were talking about the attacks, but the words went over my head as I was more worried about being late to school. Nevertheless, I spent the rest of the day like most school children, moving from class to class watching the news.

My old elementary school buddy's story is more interesting. He was a freshman at Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan (mere blocks from the WTC). My memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember that he wasn't told to evacuate immediately as there was a lot of confusion. Only after the 2nd plane hit did they bolt. I remember him trying like hell to get home but couldn't as the subway was a clusterf***. Thank goodness he made it out OK.

#37 shastarocket, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

My Uncle Jack's funeral was that day. I remember getting up, and watching it all unfold. I had tickets for WWF Smackdown that night at The Summit. It was cancelled, and postponed until Thursday. It was the first live broadcast of a live media event or something like that, post-9/11. I still have the original ticket stub that says Tuesday, September 11th 2001 on it.

19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Man, Space Ghost, how old were you on 9/11?

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's never worth it.