1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 2, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Very different Guardians team. This team is actually set in the "present" if you can even call comic continuity present. Yondu is the only original Guardian in the movie, and his character is very different from the comics. As for what he's referring to I'm going to assume the collector already handed the aether off to Thanos. They did say he's the most powerful being in the universe.

Also the original guardians team is rather blah imo. That's just me though.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    The Elders of the Universe were opposing Thanos for the same prizes
    So . . .The Collector Versus Thanos would be interesting.
    He is not joke himself.
    I was trying to figure out *which* gem it was . . . . .

Rocket River

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Stones

People seem to think that Aether was Reality (like in the link), but then what will be in Dr. Strange's necklace? (the Eye of Agamotto) Mind? I feel like that is going to be an interesting movie, I believe it'll have the most horror aspects. Feige described it as "an acid trip".

#243 seclusion, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Solid movie but I'm hardly as impressed as the majority seem to be. 90%+ on RT? Seems crazy to me. Basically telling me this was supposed to be on par with Star Trek. Captain America 2 was a lot better IMO. I suppose it still makes tier 1 for Marvel movies but it's not up to par with Avengers or Iron Man.

The end scene had me laughing out loud. Funniest movie moment of the year for me so far. What's up with the plans for Nova Corp? I'm not familiar with this branch of Marvel. Someone kills all of the Nova Corp, somehow they make John C. Reiley powerful before they die, then JCR gives those powers to some random kid on earth? Where are the Nova powers coming from exactly? I expected Glenn Close to have powers, but they're just glorified cops? Drax's family really dies like that or did they merge some of John C Reiley's character's background (death of wife/daughter) in Drax's backstory?

They didn't really try to make this fit too closely with any of the other Marvel movies. This had its own feel. And that's cool in my book. Makes me think they would do something really cool with X-Men if given the chance. Shame I'll never see it.

#244 Ziggy, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I liked it a lot, Id put it in the top tier of marvel movies

1) xmen days of future past
    2) iron man
    3) avengers/guardians

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Watched it. Very good. It could easily stand alone, but I have a feeling they'll be involved with the 3rd Avengers. Don't know how you can combine the two worlds, but I was also skeptical of team Cap/Widow/Hawk with Hulk and Thor while maintaining the relevance of the first 3 and Whedon pulled it off.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

I saw it yesterday. 3D got my eyes tired..

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I loved it.

Easily one of the best Marvel fims, very original and hilarious.

9. i3artow i3aller

Thinking about seeing this tonight w/ baby bro.

For those who have seen it, is it better seeing it in IMAX 3D, regular 3D or plain old 2D?

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Stones:
    It's my understanding that:
    Tesseract: Space (opening portals in Avengers)
    Loki's borrowed staff in Avengers: Mind (will be in Avengers 2)
    Aether: Reality
    Guardian's Orb: Power

Leaving
    Soul - commonly connected to Adam Warlock, yet to officially debut (Guardians 2?)

Time - could be included in any of the forthcoming films

Could be wrong, but my impression was that the Collector was interested in gaining them all for himself. Why would he want to hand them over to Thanos when he clearly knows that he could become a god with all 6?

Star Lord's father:
    Lots of geek sites already talking about his father from the comics....but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. Marvel's not chaining themselves to comic lore: Ultron unhitched from Hank Pym (smartly), Cosmic Cube becoming an Infinity Gem, etc. Any of these franchises have but so much room and have a pressing need to interweave into the grand arc. I may be completely wrong, but rather than a king of a random obscure alien race....maybe his "angel made of light" father....is Adam Warlock.

Crushing the box office with that $94M opening. And with extremely high ratings and word of mouth (key to roping in mainstreamers that didn't know what it was about), I would expect a decent next two weeks before school gets back in.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This was fun and certainly better than anything Marvel's put out since Avengers.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Don't get me wrong, Guardians was an awesome movie and I really enjoyed it in 3D, but I'd put The Winter Soldier right up there with it. Marvel is on one hell of a roll now with Avengers 2 up next.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

At the end of Winter Soldier, I thought "Wow, this was a great movie. But I probably wouldn't see it again."

At the end of GotG, I thought "Wow, this was a great movie. I want to see it again and again and again and..."

Not saying Winter Soldier is a bad movie, but it was forgettable to me, in the fact that there's no real reason to go back and watch the entire movie again. Maybe some parts for the action, but that's it.

I could see myself watching the entirety of Guardians, at least 2 more times, before having the same feeling.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think you'll lose anything, seeing this movie in 2D. But anytime a huge movie is released that has IMAX 3D capabilities, I'd go for that.

Are you talking about the "plan" scene where they're all standing in the circle like jackasses? That was my favorite scene in the movie - really showed the transition of they went from a buncha individuals into a team.

The "living assassin" type of character never really gets their personality developed. I wish someone else had been cast in that role, even though Saldana is apparently the go-to for roles of "women in sci-fi who kick butt."

I stated it in a spoiler before, but I just don't get all the love Drax is getting. He was good, but he was really low on the Guardians totem pole for me. Rocket was great because I didn't expect Bradley Cooper bring so much to the role. Quill was great and Groot was great.

1 person likes this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I have a feeling it will be tied in too (Thanos is the villian in the next Avengers movie, the stones in the film are reminiscent of that cube that came up in the 1st Captain America,the film says there will be a sequel, its disney...).

I really wish they wouldnt tie them in though. I think this could easily be its on, independent, trilogy.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Does anybody like this better than Avengers?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do. I also liked the X-Men better than the Avengers.

I think the Avengers movie suffers by having having too many well defined characters. For example, the Avengers movie trips up when Tony Stark has to be given time as himself versus part of the ensemble.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Very enjoyable movie. I'll give it an 8.0/10. It wasn't my favorite movie of the year (I personally enjoyed X-Men, Cpt. America, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, Lego Movie, and I'm assuming I will love Interstellar).

I need to watch this again with subtitles because I could not even hear all the jokes since they went by so fast and the audience was in constant laughter.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you! and I still need to see X-men Future past, **** now I have to wait for bluray.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I guess I'm the only one here that didn't like the Winter Soldier all that much. :grin: