1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Link?

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Speculation, but it would be nice if it played out this way.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From this morning: Why <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> must sign Aiken. <a href="http://t.co/RNV9yP2h6F">http://t.co/RNV9yP2h6F</a></p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/490167530883788800">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> I wonder how much trust has been lost between the two sides? If healthy, Aiken could bide his time until he can bolt from Houston while still fairly young.

#assets

4. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

"he Astros' entire rebuilding strategy was based on "tanking" --€“ losing enough games to secure multiple "1-1s" "

Entire strategy? Really Ken? How condescending.

5. vince

vince Member

It is no secret that Ken has sided jounalistically with Aiken's side.... It still is stomp on the Astros. Mainly because they are trying to do things different.

Appel was a consensus top 3 pick. Aiken was touted by almost every publication and scout as the superior talent.

Appel should be fine and rebound soon. No way he dominates in college and gets plastered like in the minors without a good reason.

One thing is sure, baseballs old guard are loving every minute of Lunhow's misfortune.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Time cures everything... Springer has every reason to still be peeved about his "stashing" that delayed the start of his career, and perhaps his refusal to sign an extension was in part because of that... but I doubt he goes to bed every night saying "I hate Luhnow, I hate the front office, I will never sign any extensions...etc."

Plus, guys end up either liking their jobs/where they play or they don't... based on their actual experience as a player (not based on pre-draft negotiations where there are tons of variables).

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not the entire strategy at all... but still a key part of it. It does allow them to replenish the farm system as fast as possible... which hopefully translates to wins at the big league level as fast as possible.

It wouldn't have gone over well in a lot of other markets... but Houston was able to "take it" (and take it we did).

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and the fact that he mentions, TWICE, the SI article that labeled the Astros the 2017 World Series champs makes it sound like he has an ax to grind.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Gonna come down to 3:55PM

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Marshall and Nix will sign. No Aiken if I had to guess.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol can't happen brah

12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

whaaaa????

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I guess we are sacrificing our next two first rounders :(

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Aiken's the only one with an actual contract offer (not sure what it is, but its at least $3 million). If he doesn't sign, his slot money goes away... and there's nothing left to sign the other players unless the Astros want to pay the penalty of forfeiting their next 2 #1 picks by signing players with pool money that they do not have.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's being reported (on Twitter) that Astros have offered Aiken $5.75m. If that's true, good news for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LSU?src=hash">#LSU</a> regarding Marshall.</p>&mdash; Trey Mongrue (@TreyMongrue) <a href="https://twitter.com/TreyMongrue/statuses/490231380891033601">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Interesting to see the baton rouge guys following this closely as well... I guess LSU is the closest thing to their pro baseball team they have, and they obviously want Aiken to sign for a lot to keep Marshall from bolting college.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

tick...tick...tick...tick...

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

I don't buy it. What would be the hold-up if that's the case?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only thing I would really be pissed off about is if MLB agrees to let Aiken become a free agent, because at that point it would be an admission of sorts that the Astros negotiated in "bad faith", or were trying to manipulate the system.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't know... not sure where this guy got that # from, but obviously he's only interested because of Marshall.

Say it is the offer... Aiken's camp obviously wants the agreed upon $6.5 since they may not feel he is really "injured" or that his abnormality is going to be a problem going forward.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Didn't Luhnow say that they've been working with MLB and made sure that every step that was being taken was above board?