1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Sheridan: LeBron to Cleveland a 90 percent done deal.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Geronimo, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I call BS on all this return to Cleveland nonsense, though it would be fair to Cleveland and the honourable thing to do. It would right a wrong and I think him taking Wiggins under his wing would be a great story for his legacy as well as coming home.

If he goes back to Miami, he looks even more like a dick because the best player in basketball asking for more help and demanding Riley does something before he signs is kind of pathetic. The other thing is, with all the silence and Cleveland being still in it causes a lot of false hope and he should know better after the decision fiasco..

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I'm wondering if the Cavs would trade for Kevin Love, if Lebron is coming 'home' ... I have a hard time to believe that Irving & Lebron will be enough 'to win now' (in the East).

Wiggins for Love? New 'big 3' in the East? Irving, Lebron & Love?

4. delta69er

delta69er Member

I for one would love to see this.

Funny how 4 years ago around this time I was on a Lebron-hating crusade along with everybody else.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can never understand the love for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

There is no rule that says a player from Ohio should exclusively play there or for most of his life.

I can understand when Lebron wants to do it and why but everyone in the country not living in Ohio rooting for him to return.
    It is just a mystery to me.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It is not just about being his hometown - it is about the team that drafted him. The draft is supposed to give every team a chance to get a superstar. When those guys leave in FA to go to a big market city it basically means, that only big market cities can win a championship. In the old days players usually stayed with their team or get traded along the way.

Now when you have a guy born in Ohio and drafted by the Cavs and who is very vocal about being proud of his heritage, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when he leaves, especially the way he did it. It was very distasteful for the team and the fans (and remember, it's a team and city that basically has nothing to be proud of - at least sportswise).

Now to go back and right a wrong, writing a new chapter in his legacy, taking a young superstar under his wing - that would be a nice story and would redeem him, especially if he wins a title there. As someone who doesn't really care about any team but the Rockets, I could see myself rooting for the Cavs against anyone but the Rox just because I like the story and feel for the fans.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

calling it bluff.

8. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Good. Shake up the Heat.

Morey feasts on uncertainty

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As if Cleveland did not get enough compensation - 3 Number 1 picks lol. They just drafted badly. How is that for a story?

It is not Lebron's mistake that they are not making the playoffs in the weak East.

You are too concerned about the whole feel good story that you miss out on the fact that

Cavs have a terrible owner, below average management, almost terrible GM,
    always sacking their coaches (Mike Brown their favorite also sacked)/

I almost would have thought they were the Kings of the East.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't get me wrong. I get that Cleveland will get a shot at the title.

But what is in there for James other than some fans loving him again?

He will sacrifice winning more titles. And he probably will get beaten by Western Conference teams again on a regular basis . More than likely.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

If Chris Sheridan says so, then I believe him.

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I totally agree that they`ve blown at least 1 number pick and have a terrible owner and GM. And I totally agree that it would be a lot tougher for LeBron to win with the Cavs. But like you said, I am caught up with the feel good story. I think in Miami he can't build up the kind of legacy he could, if he returned to the Cavs. He could be the "savior" who brings Cleveland their first championship glory. He could be the tutor of the future superstar. And he could be the one who redeems himself after the "decision". I like those kind of storys and I could imagine he would like that kind of legacy.

In Miami he could collect championships - though they have already failed 2 times. And it will always be "yeah he left to play with 2 other superstars because it was too tough for him to win in Cleveland".

The question is, what is he about? Winning? Miami should be his top choice (or even the Rockets...). Money? Well then Miami or LA. Legacy? Then Cleveland.

13. instantno0o0dle

Honestly, Cleavland looks pretty good. Yeah they were pretty horrible last year but think about what a player like Lebron can do for everyone. Tristan Thompson essentially becomes a roll guy to the basket who will never get easier looks than he will with Lebron. Kyrie no longer has to take crappy contested shots and can spot up from three more. If Waiters is still there, he will also get easier opportunities. THEN if they get Kevin Love for Andrew Wiggins? That's a damn good team.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Marketing money>>>>nba contract money

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most important point I don't believe that Lebron is easily the best player. Other players are ascending and Lebron will be getting worse in time.

Father time and mileage will do that to him.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You all are basing it on a theory that Lebron is remaining to be the best player by far in the next 5 years.

I really doubt that now.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You can't say that for certain. Will Miami be better next season with an older Wade? What if Indiana gets their crap together and finally gets over the hump against the Heat(like the Bulls did with the Pistons in '91)? And even if Miami gets back to the Finals for a 5th straight time, they could easily get rolled again by any number of Western Conference teams.

Does Miami have a better shot at the title next season with LeBron than Cleveland would were he to sign there? Probably, unless the Cavs managed to land another star via trade or free agency this offseason. But beyond that, I'd actually give them the edge over the Heat. They've got a much younger core and a lot more cap flexibility and draft picks going forward.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

"90% a done deal" is an idiotic phrase to use. Is LeBron 90% done signing the contract?

It's either 90% chance of happening or it's a done deal. You can't say done deal and hedge your bets at the same time.

I'll wait until something actually goes down. I still remember when LBJ was "certain" to leave the Cavs for the Knicks.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If it were someone other than Chris Sheridan this might mean something.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He's signing 60% of the time every time.