1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs turning attention to Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Jul 7, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets already used their 5 year rookie contract extension on Harden so I'll have to look that up, and see if that applies here or not.

I think that if Cuban wanted to offer Parsons 5 years, he would have had to trade for him before his rookie contract was up which he wont be doing. I could be wrong about that, but I think that is the case.

Either way, Parsons is young enough to where the 4th vs. 5th year contract situation shouldn't really be a huge deal. Plus the Players Association is urging the players to take 3 year deals regardless due to the upcoming lockout situation that is inevitable.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe Ariza will get this much from any team. I am thinking 8M/yr for 4 years is what he will end up receiving.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Interesting. Is that the "designated player" contract? Is 5 years the maximum length of any NBA contract? I thought there used to be a 6 year deal, but I could have dreamed that.

I'm hoping Lebron/Melo make their decisions by Wednesday. I'd hate to be forced to match Parson's offer if they drag their decision well past the 10th, but reports say they don't anticipate dragging this into late this week. Hoping that means a Mon-Wed decision. Hoping that Lebron is meeting with Riley today, as he said he would tell Riley his decision at said meeting.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

In all fairness, Morey fell for the same trick when he signed Ariza as well.

5. dobro1229

The designated player rule is the same thing as the Derrick Rose rule, or "Super-Max".

The CBA rule states that you can only have one per team, but I do know there are ways around that (I know the Thunder signed both Durant & Westbrook to this deal so not sure).

Either way though, I dont think a team that is NOT the Rockets holding his bird rights can sign him to longer than 5 years regardless, and even if they were able to, Parsons would probably want a player option at the end of it to get out before the new CBA. Not sure if its as big of a deal as it was a couple years ago either way.

I dont see it dragging on past tomorrow quite honestly. I dont think Melo waits until Wednesday, and that creates a pretty massive domino in the market right away despite what Lebron does.

However, if this does hold on to Wednesday, as previously discussed, it could get very, very interesting (not in a good way) for the Rockets when Cuban shows up at Parsons door with a take-it-or-leave-it offer sheet that screws up the Rockets plans.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So this guy is convinced that the Rockets will not be able to match Parsons if we extend a max offer to Bosh.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mavs?src=hash">#Mavs</a> eyeball <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> math 2) Projected cap = $63.2M. Hou left w $19,593,73 in room. Even stripped down, not enuf for Bosh $20.02M max.</p>&mdash; mike fisher (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/statuses/486219238294556673">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I believe the way it works is that you can go over the cap to resign your own players. That's why we need to get a top free agent 1st, and then resign Parsons. Its a matter of timing. If Parsons signs an offer sheet on July 10th, the Rockets have 3 days to match or decline. If the Rockets don't sign anyone with their own cap space before the 13th, then matching Parsons would take them out of contention for any other free agents. That is my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. dobro1229

Your misunderstanding the point here.

Even if Parsons isn't offered anything, the Rockets dont quite have the full 20 million they would need to give Bosh his max salary. They have a cap hold now on Parsons & Daniels as they wait to make other moves first.

Where the math gets fuzzy is factoring in those cap holds, the potential cap hold of Capela, and empty roster charges. There are about 3 people I know that can give you an exact number right now and that is probably Larry Coon, BimaThug, and whoever is working the math in the Rockets front office.

The important thing to note is what Bima says they can truly offer his which I believe he said was 19 million I believe. You'd have to think that with a D-Mo or Jones trade (or S&T back to Miami) they can get there.

My understanding is that they probably haven't even given Bosh a formal offer yet. Woj said 80 million+ with a 4 year deal so even he doesn't know exactly what they offered or are prepared to offer him.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would rather keep Parsons than pay that obscene amount of $$ to Bosh.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think minor disagreements on salary amount with Bosh will get in the way of us making an offer to Parsons. If Bosh is serious about coming, he's going to want Parsons to be here. Is he really going to say no to $19m to start because it's not $20m, and lose an important championship piece? Besides which, there's other moves to make and other players that can be sacrificed. So, I don't think that's an issue.

But, the timing could be a problem. If Lebron drags out his decision-making, causing Bosh to delay his decisions, that could open a window to offer Parsons a big contract immediately to force the Rockets to choose between an overpriced Parsons and a still-not-yet-committed Bosh.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The rockets can sign bosh and Parson together this year or lose the money without signing another good player with just resigning Parsons only.

12. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I'd rather pay Parsons if it comes down to it, than chase Bosh around all day. Nobody got time for that.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mavericks pushing on an offer sheet agreement with Houston restricted free agent Chandler Parsons, league sources tell Yahoo.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/486233623566516224">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Beat by the best.

This isn't the best 30 minutes of Rockets history lol.

I don't like this at all.

Hopefully this is pressure by Fegan to Morey to make his move quick.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I hate Dallas

16. dobro1229

SH$*

FU Cuban

17. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Like... they're going to reach an agreement that Parsons would sign on July 10th? Because that would really suck.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Who didn't know this was going to happen?

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Don't know the numbers yet, Dallas might be doing us a favor (without realizing it) depending on the number.

20. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

The surprise would be that Parsons (Fegan) would agree to sign an offer sheet. A lot of Rockets fans are under the assumption that Parsons wouldn't sign anything from another team.