1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry Regrets Leaving Rockets (story from March)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howardsucks, Jul 1, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When will he make his decision? the only thing that interests me now

2. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Behind the scene, we dont know what really happened. Do u know exactly what was bothering lowry? Kyle might just stay classy in this interview n not drop mchale under the bus.

All we know, we had/ve 3 potential good PGs with mchale at the helm, 2 left rockets n become an all star, with the last one is still on the fence.

Raptors was possibly a lay up away from advancing to the 2nd round of 7 games, whereas mchale with better players had to fumble xo board for 2 games, started to garner himself from game 3, saved by troy daniels in elimination, but made horrible coaching decision in game 6.

Based on your stats that u showed, neverthelles lowry showed improvement. I havent seen other stats, such as RPM, true shooting, n PER but he did increased in every categories AS a raptor not AS a rocket.

3. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Lowry only started to flourish leading into the all-star break, so using his stats for his entire tenure in Toronto is just stupid.

Pretending he played at that standard for the entire time he was in Toronto is just as stupid.

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL stop it, how do you regret leaving one place but love where you are?? By all accounts he love Toronto. It's like you saying you love your wife/gf even though you regret leaving an old flame.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Was watching Sports Center last night for what it's worth and they said he'd decide between Toronto, Houston and the Lakers in the next 24-48 hours. He turned down a meeting with Miami

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we get Lowry and somehow sign Melo it's over we will be nba champs.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why do people still believe that Lowry's problems stems from McHale's coaching

I thought it was pretty much a fact that Lowry's temper tantrum was due to McHale sticking with dragic in the starting lineup after Lowry returned from injury that season.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

His own quotes in the article confirm that the issues were from Lowry's end, anybody still claiming otherwise has an agenda.

and also 34to11 is correct, Lowry (and Dragic) was playing great here, its no surprise that they both went on to doing great with their new teams. Some people like to twist that to mean the Rockets held them back, but they are forgetting that they both started playing great while here.

The forgotten aspect of this argument is that the Rockets are normally very good at picking out underrated PGs that just need a chance to show they can start. Now before you mention Lin, he wasnt underrated and unknown, that was their mistake going for the overrated hype machine rather than sticking to their normal PG metrics.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ask people named Kyle Lowry...

10. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I think we can expect to get the same player we had in Houston. He seems a bit overrated at this point. His production was up only a little in Toronto and that's playing in the Eastern Conference in a contract year. That said, the old Lowry, assuming there are no offcourt issues, would be a boon to this team when combined with Beverly coming off the bench.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Pass on Lowry. Lowry and Harden, co-existing?!?!?!?!?

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Read this post, it debunks the thought that they could not exist together.

yeah, just how could poor Kyle put up with someone who dominates the ball like Demar Derozan, errrr, I mean James Harden?:rolleyes:

13. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Incomplete. Did Tor also have a Dwight Howard who wants his 15-20 touches a game? Did Tor have a Chandler Parsons who puts up his fair amount of shots as well? That doesn't even take into account us getting Melo also!! At some point there is just not enough shots to go around and the value of having a "offensive" player at every position is diminished. Sometimes a lesser "role player" is more.

I'm not saying necessarily that Lowry only bring scoring to the table - far from it. But let's no pretend we are getting a 17ppg player here. More like a 12-13ppg player who plays good D and can shoot the 3 at a decent clip. Does that have value.....absolutely!! Is that value 10+ million per year?

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

That was not the argument I keep seeing around here.

That post speaks to the idea that Lowry would not want to share the floor with a ballhog teammate like Harden.

That is all.

It does not speak to how much he is worth or what other teammates he has, it was exclusively aimed to dispute the misconception that Harden is the issue.

15. bongman

bongman Member

If all were looking at is ppg, then absolutely a 10+ M/year is a lot. But as we know, the nba is more than just that. Last season, most teams were more than willing to accept having Beverly take the shots so defensively, they will lay off of him to help out on our better scorers. They will not have that luxury with Lowry as he can easily burn them with 20+ ppg if they do the same. That will open up things for the rest of the team.

Another thing that he brings to the table, just like Bev is the fire when he is on the floor for both O and D. Those attributes have for the most part, has had a tendency to inspire the whole team to play harder night in and out.

Lastly, salaries should be looked at in context. We had 2 backup players last year who were getting paid $8M. Individually, both did not have the same positive net value to their team compared to Kyle. Adding an additional $2M does not seem a lot in that context.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And the thing is, they probably recognized Lin had value early on when they signed him before he wound up in NY. It wasn't our fault we were loaded at PG at the time. If we had the roster space Morey would have probably signed him to a 50yr, $425,000/yr deal with team options every 3 months.

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Wojo said on Fox Live last night that he expects a decision by tomorrow.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

Let's drop your feeble straw man argument and stick to what I actually said.
    Fair enough?

I made no claim that a former player's stellar career on court equates to success as a coach or exec. My statement was that a player as decorated and experienced as McHale can obviously teach something about the game. The list of players who say they've learned from McHale is impressive (Garnett, Love, Jefferson, etc) and Lowry addresses the same in this very article:
    "The things he was teaching me, well, I didn't understand right away...I could've learned some more things from the guy.'"

Now if your agenda forces you to remain in denial in the face of such obvious and empirical evidence, again I don't know what to tell you.

The rest of your comment is little more than an opinionated tangent intended to justify your disdain for McHale.
    That was not my argument.

I simply wanted to point out the flaw in your implying that McHale was incapable of teaching and highlight the falseness of your assertion about Lowry's performance in Toronto versus that in Houston.
    Since you tried to obfuscate the first issue and totally ignored the second, I'll take it that you got my point and just had nothing to challenge its validity.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

"He didn't teach me the name of it, but he probably taught me it," Love said before putting up 39 points and 12 rebounds in the Wolves' 107-92 loss to Houston. "I think your rookie year is when you learn the most and pick up the most nuances in your game.

"He taught me a lot of stuff on the court and a lot of stuff off the court, so it's not one or two things in particular. It's a handful of things that I've used, and probably you don't even recognize what he taught me."

Is this part the "obvious and empirical" evidence you speak of...? Oh, well, in that case.... I was clearly wrong to interpret Lowry's quote as a mere show of respect to the former player more than an indicator of McHale's actual teaching ability...

Love can't even pinpoint exactly what he was tangibly taught by the "great master"...

How about Garnett's low-post game throughout his career... I recall there being a lot more fade-away jumper's than up-and-unders or unorthodox - oh excuse me, I meant to say "fancy" - footwork...... Whatever he "learned" from McHale simply must've not stuck, I guess...

Al Jefferson had his post-game in Boston without McHale... but I guess it's not as an "impressive list" without his inclusion...

As of now, Dwight's been increasingly emulating Hakeem a hell of a lot more than McHale on the low block... and he stated McHale as one of his big reasons for signing here... How do you figure that's possible considering McHale's spent more time with him from the offseason throughout the regular season as his head coach...?

Your entire argument is based on opinion based that can only be referenced by vague respectful player quotes, and not on anything that's actually played out on the court... Two of those players were draftees that have a close relationship with McHale... Now, yours is more valid than mine just because...?

Tsk, tsk...

Need I provide that old quote by Anthony Carter which is exact in it's summation of McHale's coaching contributions...?

It's an old quote... just like Love's, and Lowry's... but at least it's not vague...

His performance is measured by more than just numbers... Do you deny Lowry's market value, and the perception of his contributes to a team due to his on-court performance in stats and attitude/leadership has increased since his move to Toronto...?

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think the point of re-posting this article was to show his connection to Houston at a time when Houston is recruiting him heavily.