1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Rant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roflmcwaffles, May 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Circular breathing, like how wind instrument musicians do

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, because being predisposed to having the desire to be a personal piece of toilet paper of Kobe Bryant, the one and the only unquestionable "bestest" basketball player...shooting guard...and wing player and undermining or criticizing any valid or ridiculous responses that says otherwise is the same legitimate racial and ethnic discrimination and prejudices that may effect people's livelihood.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

I know right, how ridiculous is that? A group of people demanding institutions to be more diverse based on race instead of taking the most qualified applicants.

Good thing that would never here in thr U.S

4. adobo

adobo Member

Wow. So Cuban's and Stephen A. comments have an effect people's livelihood? What planet are you born son?

Let me clarify for you the context what Cuban is stating and why Stephen A. agrees with him....

Black man in a hoodie could imply a gang banger or a street thug so just to be safe he would walk in the other side of the street.....
    Then he states if he then sees a white dude with a shaved head and tatoos he would walk back in the other side of the street (in the side where the black man wearing a hoodie was).

He does not, i repeat NOT say black man with hoodie = white due with shaved heads with a tatoo in his face.

In short his stating he has prejudices which he uses when it comes to his personal safety (especially you know, his a high profile billionaire).

Every human being on planet earth has prejudices that gets triggered especially when it comes to their own well being and personal safety...but sounds like u dont...so let me ask you again, which planet do you come from?

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. I said initially insults had little to do with the video... and with the type of discrimination they are talking.

2. I never addressed or deemed it to be false...referencing Cuban's comments.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

pluto?

7. amaru

amaru Member

Stephen A Smith's rant started off on topic but then it quickly became a soapbox for a "you're not working hard enough"/ "hard work solves all problems" speech.

While I agree with his statements about proper presentation in professional environments and the merits of hard work, it wasn't relevant to Cuban's comment.....so I don't see how it had any real place in this discussion.

Michael Eric Dyson pretty much nailed this discussion. He exposed Cuban's comments for what they were. Dyson's comments are probably going to be as well received as Smith's because they destroy the notion that the playing field is 100% equal and people are only being held back because they are lazy.....they point to the inequalities that still exist in this country and speaking about such things tends to make people uncomfortable.

I am interested in hearing Smith's response to Dyson.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I was facetious at first with you, but now I feel like I am talking to a pleasantly "clueless" Kobe fan who cannot discern my comments about the perception and the implications of their comments, which are both short-sighted and missing the crux of the problem...sweetie.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't understand why these posters aren't getting that...

10. jose

jose Member

The funny thing is that states that do affirmative action actually don't have a level playing field, but not against blacks and hispanics, actually quite for them.

If you care I can show you med school acceptance rates based on race, you can have the same exact score but blacks and hispanics will get in more than whites and asians, asians(including indians) getting in the least, whites second least. Keep in mind all these people have the same exact MCAT score and GPA, the only difference are their races.

I am in full favor of a level playing field, as close as possible it can be, and I'm aware of racism that against all sorts of groups, but in terms of college institutions and a number of large companies it's actually the opposite.

I want to be hired because I am the most qualified applicant, not because it would "look good for diversity" that I'm Hispanic.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Who cares what you want? It has nothing with Cuban, SAS, or Dyson's comments.

You don't support Affirmative Action, and don't mind people referring to you by racial epithet... that's fine and dandy.

It is out of context, here...

12. jose

jose Member

I didn't say I would respect someone who calls me names, I simply said it wouldn't bother me as much to react violently and it wouldn't hurt my feelings, their ignorance works is their detriment not mine. but I get that you're in the business of creating strawman arguments, you never answered my question either.

Affirmative action is a racist policy, it favors some races over others.

13. amaru

amaru Member

I found the full episode on youtube and I listened to Dyson again as well as Smith. Dyson brought up some excellent points that Smith couldn't counter imho...i.e how these kind of discussions always turn into a "what black people need to do to stop it is.." kind of deals instead of addressing the problem.....our society and our warped views of people of a particular ancestry.

Dyson hit it on the head, but his response will be tossed to the side in favor of Smith's because Dyson raises some uncomfortable, but very valid, points about how our society views certain groups of people even though it claims it does not engage in such behavior.

14. amaru

amaru Member

Any reasonably intelligent person gets it. Acknowledging it is another matter all together. People don't like to talk about things that make them uncomfortable.

15. Mr. Space City

exactly.

black people understand and can talk about the problems in their community but when it comes to white people talking about the problems in their community when it comes to racism they act oblivious to it or deflect blame back to black people. :)

16. jose

jose Member

Dyson is also the same guy who said "more white kids need to die for Americans to understand racism".

the problem is the moment someone says to work and study hard and stop blaming all your problems on the ambiguous "white man", they get called an uncle tom. i.e Bill Cosby, Larry Elder, or even SAS in this video.

Hey you wanna know what, I'll show you something truly racist, it comes from LBJ, but I don't mean LeBron James, I mean former president Lyndon B. Johnson:

“I’ll have those n***ers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”—LBJ

so I know, it's a different time, but I'm sure there's still people who have this same exact mentality to "give them just enough", and these same people are probably the bosses of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Dyson et al.

17. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I am a white guy and I wear hoodies all the time. So why is it that a black guy in a hoody is viewed this way by you, but you don't mention peopel of other races wearing hoodies in a similiar light.

Oh, and yes I do go for walks at night, with a hoody.

That is the problem, if Cuban sees a white guy with baggy jeans and a hoody he isn't scared, but a black guy is another story.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

ambiguous "white man"?

Seriously son? Okay, let me put it this way. In New York, black people and white people smoke mar1juana at the same rate, yet black people are incarcerated for non-violent mar1juana crimes at 4 times the rate of white people. That is just one example of instituational racism. At the same time there is a teenager who stole a car, stole some booze, killed some people drunk driving and injured his passengers and he got off. Why? As the judge said, he was so rich he didn't understand right from wrong.

Florida, we all know about Trayvon. However around the same time period, a women was being assulted by her husband, she got a gun, fired a warning shot. Nobody got hit, the same justice system put her in prison for 20+ years. The same time Zimmerman gets off.

Stop talking out of your ass.

19. jose

jose Member

I am all for ending the incarceration of non-violent drug related criminals, I think prison reform should happen and that private prisons are one of the worst things to happen.

with that being said you're cherry picking, for example why did the media never show this everytime they said "if a black man shot a white teen..." Well it happened: http://www.infowars.com/say-hello-to-roderick-scott-the-anti-george-zimmerman/ unfortunately I don't have a better media source since so little media sites carry the story, but you can look up public court records and see that.

The media is misguiding you and riling up your emotions my friend.

20. amaru

amaru Member

How is anything in this post related to anything I have said?

Stay on topic please.

1 person likes this.