1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Seen Enough - Canaan Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 29, 2014.

1. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Agreed.

Lin is okay off the bench, but we can't play him against starting caliber NBA point guards. He's getting dominated on both sides of the ball. Canaan is raw, but at least he's fast, strong and a pretty god shooter. We've got to start converting that raw talent to NBA experience as fast as possible with the playoffs looming.

If Beverley doesn't come back this season, and we don't start Canaan, we might not even make it out of the first round, and definitely not the second round.

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Let the meltdown continue...

Hilarious :)

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Unfortunately for Lin, the guy he is being compared to brings a lot of energy, hustle, passion and defense.

And this was one of his biggest opportunities to show the world what he could do and he blew it.

In that first quarter, there were stretches of possessions where he doesn't even look to give the ball to Harden, and nothing is more important than keeping your best player involved in the game.

It's not really Lin's fault, because I think he is playing out of position. Lin is more suited as a SG, because he has a scorer's mentality. When he tries to play PG, he constantly forces tough passes in the traffic. He has good playmaking abilities, but he should be a shoot first type player.

4. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

lin was terrible. but this is terribly knee jerk. isn't lin doing like 14/6 in his 20 something odd starts with us still having a solid record in those games? that's more proven than cannan, who had some nice moments admittedly. if this becomes a trend, lin going 1-9 and cannan showing a nice stroke...then maybe, but this is just a huge kneejerk right now.

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

quality players don't repeat the same mistakes in quantity.

1 person likes this.
  6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

always.

7. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

To be fair, Lin put up a stat line that our starting point guard usually puts up anyway.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Knee jerk Old Man Rock? That does not even come close to describing your reaction.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Lin had a bad game no question. But the last time Beverly was out he also looked bad. He'll play better but my main point is we lose a 6th man. When healthy he provides a good spark off the bench but I now see him as a 6th man in this league and not a starter. If he is starting on your team you do not have a better scoring option and that means you suck.

So that is my reasoning. Lin had a bad game and he will play better and right now he is better than Canaan. Lin haters will probably disagree with that but Lin's game doesn't fit on this team as a starter. When he plays good he is a great addition off the bench. Losing Bev hurts but at least Canaan plays in the flow better. I don't think we will go far without Bev but maybe Canaan gets better and his offensive game and 3 point shooting compensates for some of what we lose with Bev's intensity. And keep Lin off the bench as a decent 6th man.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

UHHHHH LOL WUT?

hows it all on Les? If anything, Morey takes the fall for signing Lin.

Not saying Morey's not a great GM...quite the contrary, but unless Lin gets better...and fast, then this signing falls on Morey, not Les.

Morey's the person in charge of evaluating talent. Not Les.

Morey's the one that likely suggested we sign Lin to the terms he got. It was a big risk, given the small sample-size, but Les gave Morey the go-ahead out of trust, not out of demand.

Comparing Les to Jerry Jones should be a ban-able offense, IMO, they couldnt be farther apart in comparisons.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Lin, No more DOTA 2. Playing Basketball.

12. MichaelG281713

You don't think that's a sad statement?

He's so bad, you have compare him to a rook straight out of the d league. Huge gap in experience and contract wise also. Inexcusable.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yes. Canaan should start. Lin really shouldn't be in the rotation.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

He's the Ryan Fitzpatrick of point guards.

15. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

Yes, i completely agree with this. He lacks some basic PG skills - like protecting the ball under pressure and make some basic entry passes. He hesitated a lot when he runs the point. But he looks way better if his sole responsibility is to attack and score off the bench. He is a mini-Harden in some sense. He tried pretty hard to adapt to the PG role but it didn't work well

16. quatin

quatin Member

If we believe his stint with the RGVP was no fluke. Cannan is a better 3pt shooter. That alone should be enough reason to have him start.

Lin cannot be on the court at the same time as Harden. You can clearly see him play differently when Harden is on the court. I don't know if someone is telling him to play passively or if it's some mental barrier, but he becomes a misfit on the court.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

If Beverley is indeed out for the year, I think we're calling up Troy Daniels again. You can imagine he already has chemistry with Canaan from the D-league.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If Lin does that damn thing where he jumps in the air before he knows what he wants to do with the ball in going to cry. Seriously, it hurts my soul...

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

they're in the same pool, second rounder in Canaan, vs an undrafted LIN.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this thread is a knee jerk because this isn't an isolated incident by Lin as far as shrinking in BIG games. Playoffs will be nothing but big games and Lin has a history of becoming a mental midget when too much is put on him. Rox needed him to at least have a decent game tonight and he absolutely SUCKED. Lin faded last year going down the stretch into the playoffs as well. I just don't trust him at all.