1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik #20 on NBA's worst contracts list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BullRider, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Well obviously fans don't care about the luxury taxes the owners have to pay... Thankfully you don't have a say in it, otherwise you and people like you would run that business model to the ground.

2. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

So I guess after seeing tonight, Lin and asik not getting traded

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

The irony about your post is that only cap hit counts towards luxury tax calculations, not the actual payout of the salary. So while owners would have to pay more for them, they actually would not pay more luxury taxes.

4. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

bottom line dragic and lowry commanded bad teams and lin has helped make them better. I could care less of the past. we didn't have anyone b4 lin was signed.

5. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

Asik was the #1 rebounder in the league last year, Dwight was #2

6. jamphus

jamphus Member

If Dragić had played along with Harden this season so far, he would probably get the same stats as Lin instead of the stats he has now.:cool:

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Moray never wanted Lin, it was the owner's pick

8. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

It's not really ironic that I didn't put luxury taxes/salaries when clearly I am just responding to the post I quoted. Don't think the owners are somehow letting a few million here and there go unnoticed on their payroll just because it doesn't come in the form of luxury taxes.

9. errpac

errpac Member

When looking at salary shouldn't we be mainly looking at how it effects salary cap. That's what really matters when building a team. Who cares about the portion that doesn't effect the cap and only effects the owners. I would think Lin makes some money back for les making the extra not effect him as much. Plus don't we throw money around sometimes such as sending Royce white to 76ers along with cash. I know les is not a spurger either but he has says he would go over luxury tax for the right team, and currently the team with Lin and asik is not going over luxury tax. Their salary shouldn't matter to us as much, toward the cap I think their salary is fine. Now if we can get another player that helps us, then yes we should trade them.
    Such as jr smith for Lin especially since Knicks are interested in him.

Jk on the last sentence.

10. errpac

errpac Member

I don't know man. I'm a Lin supporter but dragic is more experienced and playing out of his mind now. He should be though he's been in the league longer. I do think Lin has potential to get as good as dragic is now, but he also needs to be on a team that fits him.

11. Doktor Mndbndr

The owners imposed the luxury taxes on themselves, so no, they aren't going broke. They are an oligopoly in collusion to drive down salaries of the laborers as far as possible, and lock in massive guaranteed profits for themselves.

In the current system, if even the badly run Bobcats are making money in the smallest market that exists, guess what big market teams like the Knicks are raking in?

Well, maybe not driving down enough. I think if the owners really wanted to, they could make most of these guys work for $100,000 a year. Because everyone except supermodel Parsons or Harvard graduate Lin still wouldn't have a better job offer (except maybe in some Overseas League.

12. dchoye

dchoye Member

Morey is an idiot. He should have given orders to McHale to showcase Lin and Asik more this season for other teams
    Asik's "injury" was so lame excuse. Off that long for a "bruise" then coming back when he can't be traded by the deadline?

13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Your history may be worse than your economics...

Quoted from: http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-...d-North-Americas-Major-Pro-Sports-Leagues.htm

"According to the NBA's financial data, ten teams combined to make a profit of approximately $150 million in 2010-11. And the other 20 teams lost their collective shirts to the tune of a $400 million. Clearly, the league has to do a better job of revenue sharing to be successful going forward."

The funny thing about that statement is how ignorant and stupid the person writing the article really is... 10 teams make 150 mil, 20 teams lose 400 mil - a net loss of 250 million, but sharing is the problem! Where are those "massive profits" they are locking in for themselves that you speak of?

The Bobcats don't make money (5 year average of 16 million lost annually according to Forbes in 2013). That was the whole premise behind the new revenue sharing plan. Most franchises (some would surprise you) don't make money - another reason David Stern is a joke. The reason they don't make money is, in my opinion, because the league doesn't promote the game or its teams. Stern has made a policy of promoting players, and it's why OKC can be profitable in a small market while the Bucks don't have much chance.

You also seem to think that basketball skill is not a globally traded commodity and that somehow the NBA owners are the only ones that establish pricing for that particular skill set. Wrong again. If you think the NBA would still be the best league in the world offering 100k per year for salaries, you have more crap going on upstairs than I could effectively deal with on a BBS forum. Euro leagues would swoop them up at that price and it wouldn't even be a competition. That'd be like saying if the state of Texas decided to pay their civil engineers a 50k salary, then that would be the new salary for civil engineers in Germany and India as well. I already know how you feel about minimum wage...

Go back to reading Marx when he was just an economist and you can tell by his hypothesis how stupid his political philosophy is, was, and always will be.

14. adobo

adobo Member

15. Doktor Mndbndr

Those are the owner's numbers as presented to the players to lowball them on the CBA. It's accounting trickery, I assure you.

Don't forget the players get many perks in addition to the $100,000 salary.

No, I do not believe another country could gather together these NBA players into a premier league to compete with the U.S. All you really need is a system that keeps the superstars in the U.S.

But bottom line, I think these dudes could've been squeezed harder in the negotiations than they were. Much harder. Not that I favor the owners, just making an observation.

16. Doktor Mndbndr

Personally, I suspect only anti-trust laws prevent owners from inflicting a bloodbath on the player association (but I am saying this only casually, have not investigated). But if the owners could only buy off the relevant government regulators (and you can tell some of these guys are indeed associates of the biggest insiders), you'd see how truly weak the player's bargaining positions are.

Moreover, I do not believe it would be difficult for NBA owners to collude with owners in the Euroleague, either. It would not be difficult to at all.