1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] We Miss Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Watching those Yao videos and reading that interview made me sad. Those were some nice teams that we had. Altough we never won big, they still brought me entertainment and memories that will last forever.

Yao is also so philosophical. Like the Bruce Lee of basketball. Reading that didnt read like a typical sports interview.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a Yao thread. Could you imagine if he had someone like Kobe or Dwayne wade or Tony Parker or LeBron or even Dirk ?

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol yet again tiny starts this charade and then denies it.
    Do you not notice how sour you are that you need to bring him up every chance we speak of the past. If you do have respect for yao how you say you do, you wouldn't cludder up this thread with this nonsense.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I respect that when Yao was hurt he still showed up and sat with his teammates at games.

It's not like he ran off to Chicago to pretend to be training or something. He was just there for the rockets.

Yao is a pure rocket.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Man I miss Yao. Can't believe he went down during that Laker series. :-(

6. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

yao is awesome. also lol the entry passes to yao didnt take 10 seconds.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I guess I know now why you were rookified... did you even read my post properly? Let me try to spell it out to you better...

- Yao could post
    - Yao could shoot
    - Yao could pass
    - Yao could dribble. He had sick handles for a big!
    - Yao could hit free throws
    - Yao could rebound
    - Yao could play great help defense
    - Yao was a solid defender due to sheer size

Yao's weakness was initially speed, weight, and personality. He was too slow, slight, and meek to go up against the big and bad in the NBA. Eventually he put on pounds and his balls dropped, but soon after he got injured. As for speed, well people 7'6 just don't move very fast. Granted, Yao was very agile and fast for his size. Anyone remember that sick behind the back dunk he had? What about court vision? That amazing drop off behind his head to a slashing Moochie? Just watch his NBA Top 10 plays. Yao was legit. He was a player teams regularly doubled. Basically a career 20/10 and those players are pretty damn rare. Him being fronted is really more of a team failure to swing the ball around to the open man or back to Yao. If Yao had Harden or even Lin, it would have been amazing.

Dwight is by far the superior athleticism, but realistically how long will that last? 3-4 more years? Why do you think he is suddenly so eager to learn post moves as opposed to simply running PnR? He knows his game needs to develop as he ages. Some players get that early, like Hakeem, Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, ect and some never quite get it like our own Stevie Franchise.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

Don't be ignorant. There's a world of difference between growing up in communist China (like Yao) and growing up in Palo Alto (like Lin).

Many Lin fans love Jeremy because he had almost the exact same upbringing as they did. Just because Yao is of the same race doesn't make them interchangeable.

Just think of it this way: if someone called Yao a "chink," he would need a translator to tell him what that means. But if someone called Lin that, he would know exactly what it meant and how to react to it instantly.

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I would love to have him come backā€¦even as a back up.

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

11. Rocketfan_Dave

Rocketfan_Dave Contributing Member

You know, I actually teared up a little while I was watching that game. And I have to admit I teared up a little watching it again now.

Damn I miss Yao so much.

You have to wonder if he knew his career was over when he came back out onto the court.

So much heart....

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nothing but love and respect for Yao.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yao was right. In the Dallas series, both Yao and Tmac were healthy. Missed it and move on.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Sorry buddy.

Lin fans can't come to clutchfans call us racist and then call Yao a different Asian.

We were first to embrace Asian basketball players not Lin fans.

Don't segregate Yao cause he wasn't born here. He is as Asian as Lin.

#94 tinman, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Great post. Yao keeps it real and doesn't make up stupid bull**** scenarios.

16. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Yao's thread. What got to do with Lin? Keep Lin out of this thread. With McGrady, I understand.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin fans are pissed we embraced Asian players before they did.

Listen to the crap they say Yao needs a translator. They are just proving Yao had it worst .

Yao grew up in a communist country, Rudy t had to get him from some tiny apartment in china.

Lin grew up in Palo Alto where the houses are $500k to start and Lin needs no translator.

Shaq made a racist joke on Yao Ming.

Yao had to give up tons of money to china and had to play in the Olympics .

We knew Yao's struggles and we love him.

They are jealous he's the first true Asia star and he's a freaking Houston rocket til the end if time!

18. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Unlike Lin, Yao struggled initially to come to NBA with language barrier. He has to learn to communicate with the team and coach, and done really well (don't forget Yao is almost deaf on one ear which will affect his play and possibly cause many turnovers).

Yao got pressure from the Chinese government and a lot of people doubted him. He proved them wrong and Barkley has to kiss a donkey ass. :grin: I have never hear him complained at all during his time as a Rockets player. Lin, please ....... sleeping on a couch. By the way, I like Lin but I don't think Lin should be talk about in Yao thread. Yao is an All-star many times, possibly a HOF. Yao is still involved with Houston eventhough he has retired. A real true Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  19. mig0s

mig0s Member

I'm not a LOF I love Yao but Lin has to give up tons of money to the US too. And back in high school and college lots of people said racist stuff to Lin, unlike Yao who grew up with other asians

20. tinman

Supporting Member

you are an awesome poster!