1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Clutch wrote a great piece of article. Since it came out, Lin's performance immediately turned around. Beverly played much better as well.

Nice job. Looking forward to "The number is clear" part 2, sometimes, the reverse jinx stuff just works!

#2221 ivanyy2000, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. conquistador#11

i love watching lin play against lowry or dragic. he gets by those 2 with such ease.

3. highlander3128

No way in hell does Lowry's finishing around the basket has something to write home about, and he certainly isn't as good as Bev on defense. Lowry is overrated if he is described as Lin and Bev rolled into one.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Woo there just brcause bev did a off the back board PPP doesn't mean he's Chris Paul. I'm not trying to take any credit awsy from bev but that's not to hard of a pass if no defenders are around but it was still fancy n sweet. Lin is obviously the guy who should be starting he provides assist and points and eveidrntly rebounds against a horrid team. I'm feeling a lot better about my lin should be a starter thread that got locked because bev was amazing for one game blazers. Bev is good but lin is great.

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Yeah but you're forgetting the most important part. Mixing any player with Lin will instantly be the best player ever because they are part Lin. Could be Brian Scalibrine. Dude would be balling.

Also Asians look awesome with red hair.

6. Clarinetmonster

Thank you sir. Wonder if people will overrate Lin too when he leaves and blows up on another team.

7. Clarinetmonster

I know your trying to be funny somehow, but in actuality, a player Scalabrine's size with an elite first step and ability to finish at the rim at will and high level court vision, would actually be pretty formidable - potentially ugly as sin though.:grin:

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

You're right. I shouldn't have "somehow" tried to be funny. I'll leave you to your thread as you have a staggering 148 posts in it.

All yours.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lowry can draw fouls also.

10. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

A lin with confidence can be a really good player. A Lin without confidence doesn't belong in the D league.

11. Clarinetmonster

Thanks - bye bye.

12. pademon

pademon Member

For the good of the team, I hope this thread will die to be replaced with "we have the best backcourt trio of the league".

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

What's much more important than who's starting is who's CLOSING. It should be noted that McHale decided to close the game with Lin and it turned out to be a good decision. Lin hit a tough jumper and drew a crucial charge on Dragic late in the game that pretty much sealed it.

14. raisedfist

raisedfist Member

So the numbers are clear: Jeremy Lin deserves to close over Patrick Beverley.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

D league? Cmon now. Even when playing without confidence he belongs in the NBA, just on the bench. But don't exaggerate

16. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Why did this thread need to be bumped again?

They are both playing crucial minutes for us and they are playing pretty well with Harden in a 3 guard rotation.

17. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

What strength does Bev have? His vastly overrated D? The difference between Lin and Bev's D is so small, it's ridiculous how many posters go on and on about Bev's shutdown D.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Maybe the hustle Bev has? Getting that key steal and offensive rebound down the stretch?

19. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

He has strong knees.

20. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

*Don't want another thread. Clutch has create a spot for all the similar thread ideas to be. I'll use it.*

What is fit?
    What does confidence have to do with anything?

This is the NBA. Not a mental institution. It is all about being comfortable and team chemistry. If Harden is more comfortable playing with Beverley, Beverley will start. If Harden plays better with Lin, Lin should start.

You want consistency? Consistency is a two way game. Everyone needs to be consistently healthy. Roles need to be consistently laid out. Usage needs to be consistently given. Most importantly the player both Lin and Beverley must be consistently playing. Consistency should not be the determining factor to who should start unless you are a vet.

2015 cap-room? Trading? Getting rid of Lin is not hard. The hard part is finding an upgrade for the production that Lin gives and having the other team relinquishing that better player. Rondo is an opportunity that is worth looking into. We can trade both Lin and Beverley along with picks for Rondo if we really believe Rondo will improve this team. But I for one will have a hard time making this deal. Rondo is definitely an upgrade to Lin, but will Harden and Rondo together really work? Rondo is nothing like Beverley, who the numbers show clearly he should start. Also keep in mind, Rondo will eat our cap-room and we will be giving up our 2014 free agency. If we do keep Lin, the worst case scenario would be rockets needing to amnesty Lin for 2014 free agency. But hey, I am sure there will be plenty of teams willing to fight for the bets on Lin. That 15 million can easily drop down to 10 million making the theoretical cost for Lin's two year production be 10 million per year.

I say keep developing our players. Keep Beverley starting and Lin coming in for both Beverley and Harden. In addition, lower Harden's minutes because for the sake of the team, no more injuries especially Harden. Everything just become a mess when our star player sits out, roles majorly switches and the 2 guard spot gets heavily taxed.