1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Doc Rivers overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Jan 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Mchale,Harden,Parsons first round pick for Doc and Chris paul

2. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Yes…he is definitely overrated

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When they went from Obrien to Vogel, they went from 37 to 42 wins.

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

never a good coach.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Wow. A championship coach that won COY on another team was "never a good coach" to you? Um, sounds personal:rolleyes:

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, in some ways, coaches are like role players. They definitely don't have the same impact as the star players on a team.

But they are also unlike players, in that, if you are a good role player, you will have some use in any system. This is because player skills are more tangible.

Coaching skills have a lot of intangibles, thing like personality, people skills, ego management, etc. A lot of these things are situation-dependent. Some coaches are good at managing egos. They are best with a stacked team contending for championships. Some coaches are good teachers who are best for young teams. The latter may never win championships but they are not any less of a coach than the former kind.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rome wasn't built in a day.

8. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

No Clippers had a 17 win streak early season last season so of course they had the better record. Then they collapsed towards the end of the season due to VDN's utter incompetence. They played .500 basketball post ASG. Not to mention the Clips have been dealing with injuries all season and making a lot of adjustments due to new coaches and new players.

9. clippy

clippy Member

He's probably overrated but he's so much better than Vinny that it doesn't really matter than he's not Popovich.

I do think Rivers deserves a lot of credit for what he did in his 1st year, almost taking that ragtag Orlando squad to the playoffs. See their roster: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2000.html

Keep in mind that this was before Ben Wallace was established as one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

10. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I always thought Rick Carlisle deserves more respect than Doc. Nobody talks about Rick Carlisle despite winning a championship with a single super star + good role players team. Doc had 3 stars.

11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Sorry but this is a very trollish post. Being a member of CF for over 10 years, I thought you should know better. Jordan plays out of his mind on defense, which is the biggest plus from Vinnie days. They were already good, but they needed Jordan to step up and he did that big time. The reason? Doc Rivers.

having won a championship, do you think Doc cares so much about regular season record? Vinnie always made Clippers look great during regular season; Doc will make them look great during playoffs.

comparing coaches based on their regular season record...SMH

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think the clippers get way too much hate. new coach/players, and injuries to key guys and they have still managed to keep in striking distance of SA/OKC/Por.

also after a bad start are up to top 7 in defensive efficiency. deandre jordans improvement can directly be attributed to DOC as well

i pray the rockets do not match up with them in the first round. give me portland all day.

13. clippy

clippy Member

I think the Clippers can hang with any team in the West in a series, and they'd be favorites against all but OKC & Spurs. However, I pray they don't get Memphis again because that team scares the **** out of me. Looks like they'll be a lower seed and Clippers will probably be 3-5 so it should be safe, but ya never know.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I personally believe Carlisle is the best X and O's coach in the NBA. He has had great success at all his coaching stops regardless of personnel.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Umm, actually he didn't get Tracy until Year 2. The 1999-00 for some reason had me stuck on the reason why Doc has always been a very good coach or above average at worst. He fielded a bonafide lottery team that year, which missed the playoffs by one game. Here were there top 5 players: Darrell Armstrong, Ron Mercer, Chris Gatling, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, and John Amaechi. If they, in fact, made the playoffs, they would've been one of the worst rosters in NBA history to ever reach the playoffs. No all-stars, no 20 ppg scorers, and no one who was top 10-15 at their position.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Carlisle is someone the Rockets were very interested in. He has some serious personality issues that hold him back, but he is the best coach in the NBA at floor spacing. He is exceptional at it. He also is very bright and can make adjustments. I am not sure that he has a real solid set of values and belief system that coaches like Wooden, Knight, Jackson, Popovich and Daley have/had. He just knows the game really well, kind of like Larry Brown.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Is Doc Rivers over-rated, or are the Clippers over-rated? Maybe Del Negro had something going, or maybe CP3 being injured is hitting them harder than anyone thought. Who knows?

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yeah you might wanna wait til June to start this thread son

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Carlisle is a great coach without a doubt. Cuban will never let him leave.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Carlisle > Doc