1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Bo Davis' tenure at USC has ended...he's heading back to Bama. Wonder what made him quit after less than a week on the job?

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Better job opened up and he is a Saban groupie. Weird how Alabama and Texas just swapped DL coaches.

3. Brando2101

Reactions to Akina's firing are coming out. He did an amazing job. In the Mack era, UT has some decent O-lineman and WR, some good LBs and DLs, 2 good RBs but they made a lot of great year to year NFL DBs out of the program.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a hell of a statement for the standout DB from the weekend and possible defensive POY

#4123 Brando2101, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I had no idea that this happened this weekend but welcome back Bo!

But yeah, that's pretty weird.

5. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Sorry for the double post but I just read through this.

Where did you hear this?

6. BigBird

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per source, Alabama A&amp;M head strength coach James Hester is heading to the University of Texas as an assistant. <a href="http://t.co/J2I7FeuPe7">http://t.co/J2I7FeuPe7</a></p>&mdash; Pete Roussel (@coachingsearch) <a href="https://twitter.com/coachingsearch/statuses/423199612078686208">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It appears that he was the Assistant S&C Coach at South Carolina under Lou Holtz in 1999 and 2000. Charlie Strong was there at the time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2Hm5Cs3H7a0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Culture Change at Texas. Looks like Mack was running a laid back program.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

9. Major

Major Member

I love all of this. Kinda funny that "no headphones in class" has to be specified.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or everything after the first point in #4.

11. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

Anybody have ESPN insider access? I saw an article about how Texas was ranked the best college football coaching job to have..but of course it was just a preview.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

This?

1. Texas Longhorns

Of the 24 people I polled in Pasadena, every single one mentioned Texas among their top five and more than half ranked it No. 1. “As a head football coach, you want to be put in position where football is priority one,” former Oregon Ducks coach and current ESPN analyst Mike Belotti said Monday. “At Texas, the numbers are just so overwhelming, whether you’re talking about the fan base, the size of the school itself, the tradition of winning, the massive number of recruiting talent in the state and, of course, the money.”

Ah yes, the money. No one spends more or makes more than Texas. According to the annual study done by USA Today Sports, only 23 of the 228 NCAA Division I athletic departments finished the 2011-12 year in the black. Texas ranked No. 1 with $163.2 million in total revenue. But what catches the eye of coaches isn’t the amazing $25 million that the Longhorns cleared, but rather the $138.2 million they spent. In his annual study of college football’s most valuable teams, released on the eve of the BCS National Championship, Indiana University-Purdue assistant finance professor Ryan Brewer ranked Texas at the top, estimating its total worth at a whopping $875 million, $64 million more than the next-closest team, Notre Dame, and nearly $200 million ahead of No. 3 Michigan.

“That place is dreamland,” a former Texas assistant said to me over the weekend. “Whatever you need, whether it is facilities, recruiting travel, or whatever tool you see another team has, you can get it. But the price that comes with that is that you’d better turn that cash into wins. You have no excuses not to win at Texas. They say, and rightfully so, ‘Well, you have all you need! So the problem must be you aren’t a good coach!’ And the really big boosters think it’s their team, not yours, even more than other places. It can be a tough environment to live in.”

This is no small thing. Example: Billionaire donor Red McCombs and his “I think he would make a great position coach” assessment of Strong. The magnifying glass of Austin is perhaps unequaled -- so much so that four of the people I talked to, from the Midwest and Southwest, pointed to it as the reason they would take the Oklahoma job over the Texas job.

Followed by 2. USC, 3. Alabama, 4. Ohio State, 5. Florida State, 6. Oklahoma, 7. Notre Dame, 8. Michigan, 9. Georgia, 10. LSU

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

credit to Strong -- I like that discipline.

14. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  15. Brando2101

"The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm."

**** that noise. These aren't children. They should have the right to live where they want. Make them responsible for their actions. Don't keep them from the chance to make them.

I get everyone likes the idea that the team will be spending more time together but there has to be a line between what we think will help the team and what's best for the players. Keeping them on campus and then letting them loose on the world after they graduate with no in-between is really irresponsible. I learned a lot from living off campus after my 1st year while still being chained to the university.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, but you are a regular student. these are athletes.

oh don't act like the athletic dorms aren't bad, they serve much better food, and it's not like they can't party.

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Its San Jac or Callaway House tho. Callaway house is in west campus. Both are nice

18. Brando2101

I remember seeing the doors to their cafeteria and hearing they had steak. Dorm is a dorm. It's still summer camp. It's so different than being out by yourself. For every Sergio Kindle, there are a 1000 guys that are fully responsible that are learning what they need to learn and being great student athletes.

Pretty sure San Jack is not big enough to support the entire football team and anyone else. When I was there, they stayed at the Bottom of Jester East. Regardless, I think you are really missing the point.

19. BigBird

FWIW the majority of football athletes live in Jester East which has been recently renovated and expanded. Most of the other athletes, like basketball, live in San Jac

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The discipline is good. If it seems dramatic, it's probably because it's needed. Mack was running a lackadaisical program - the DUIs, arrests, crashing cars into West Campus apartments and walking away. While at UT, I lived in a West Campus complex where some football players lived and they got away with some crazy stuff. Strong won't have that.

There have been accusations that NFL teams don't like taking Longhorns because of the entitlement and bad attitudes. Strong won't have that, either.

The university has an interest in making sure the team 1. Wins 2. At least tries academically (let's be honest, a lot of these guys are majoring in football. I had classes with with players, including small lab settings, and they could barely be bothered to show up for midterms) and 3. Doesn't tarnish the image of the school. If doing all three of those things requires the shortest leash in years, so be it. In exchange, these guys are getting access to a world class education, the best facilities, free tuition and the inside track to the NFL. I'd say that's a fair trade.