1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

Thread title should change to..

"Is Lin making a case to be 3rd pg once bev returns ?"

2. cw3k

cw3k Member

The title should change to "Is Lin making a case to be bench warmer once Beverley returns?"

3. timyeung

timyeung Member

4. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Trade ASIK and LIN!!!

5. infinite-loop

infinite-loop Member

Unlikely Lin will start once PB back

Lin as a starter or Lin as a 6th man are plausible strategies. I think the fans that advocate the idea that "6th man is not a demotion; it is leading the second unit" are sincere in pursuing a strategy they believe is beneficial to both Lin and the Rockets.

However, after tonight's benching against the Knicks, I believe that in McHale's eyes Lin will never be good enough to trust. Therefore, once PB returns PB will start and Lin will be in fact "demoted to the bench" -- not "entrusted with the 6th man role".

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

How?

Unless Lin is top 2 guards in votes, the replacements will come from coach selection.

The NBA doesn't replace starters with the "next highest voted player".

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you really believe that, you need serious help.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey keeps repeating both directly and indirectly that this roster is set for the year. but it's quite clear that this roster and the coaching staff are a huge mismatch for each other. something will have to give sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

9. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

I've listened to fans from other teams note how the Rockets have progressively made it a point to bench Lin, when he gets on a roll, or is doing well.

Last night's game drove my brother mad, he was following the stats and shouted out loud, "THEY ARE SITTING HIM AT HIS AVG".

Not letting him play meant he couldnt score additional points to meet his 23pt average pts scored vs the Knicks in the last 2 prior meetings.

Sounds like the Trade Rumors with the Lakers or Bulls is really starting to heat up. I don't see Lin staying with the Rockets much longer. They will unload him if given the chance.

10. Curtanne6

Curtanne6 Rookie

I hope he end up playing with the Bulls...i dont care if he will be a second option to Rose if Rose managed to get healthy by end of this season....Rockets is just not the right place for Lin...And hate to say this, Clyde should be ashamed of himself, totally a biased mofo!!!

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Man, I really dislike these only fans. Maybe its because I've been a rocket fan for so long and my all time favorite whom I share birthday with was traded. Since then,I've reallly come to grips with just cheering for the front of the jersey. I don't pull for a particular player nor do I think a guy who sacrificed so much of his career for unity and rings have a personal vendetta towards lin. Maybe he's not as good or consistent as the lin chatterbox seem to think.

I know lin is similar to other trailblazers in other sports,but I highly doubt mchale is personally trying to embarrass or degrade lin. Fact is,he's a JAG,just a guy. Nothing special,is a good role player,that's all. Part of coaching is gut feeling and maybe in his gut,mchale felt brooks was giving him something. We've seen rudy do it as well as van gundy and adelman. Hell, mchale left howard on the bench in the 4th qt one game.

12. jayland

jayland Member

Lin is making the case he should be traded before his bloated contract kicks in next season.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My head is going to explode every time I see this false information being passed around. The cap hit is an even 8mil for all three years.

14. leebigez

That's true, but he still gonna make 15m next season. How many pgs will cash 15m checks next season? Not many

15. Breaker

Breaker Member

I agree

16. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

Yes, but how many players that outplayed the #1 draft pick over and over got paid much less over their first years in the NBA. I hate the whole $15 million dollar argument. If he got paid $0 the first two years and $25 million the 3rd year, everyone will be crying about how Lin will get paid $25 in a single season. How outrageous! That's more than most superstars make! I refuse to support a player like that. :rolleyes:

17. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

And by the way, he got paid basically $0 by NBA standards during his first 2 years while guys like Wall got paid over $10 million during their first two years. But let's cry about how he'll get paid $15 million one year. Wall will make $16 PER year for the next 5 years. Lin gets so much hate it's sickening.

18. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

19. leebigez

So you think he's outplayed wall,kyrie or guys like that since he's been in the nba?

20. pacmania

pacmania Member

MOFs (mother fkrs) please educate yourselves about Kevin Mchale before you start defending him. Those who don't learn from the lessons of history are destined to repeat it.

Departure of Chauncey Billups

Chauncey Billups came to the Timberwolves to backup the aforementioned Brandon in 2000. Over the next few seasons, his level of play elevated to a pinnacle with the Wolves in 2002 featuring career highs in games played, games started, minutes played, field goal and three-point field goal percentages, among other categories. Minnesota won 50 games that year, making the playoffs.

However, instead of opting to re-sign Billups (who received an endorsement from Kevin Garnett), McHale decided to let Billups leave as a free agent.

Within two years of leaving Minnesota, Billups won an NBA championship with the Detroit Pistons. Since then, Billups has been a four-time NBA All-Star, and after being traded to the Denver Nuggets, helped bring them closer to the NBA Finals than they'd ever come before.

Terrell Brandon retired in 2002.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/201096-mchales-making-a-mistake-comment-oozes-with-irony