1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. quizone

quizone Member

wasn't he a starter last year?

2. bws

bws Member

Bravo. Brooks comes in the game and says FU Harden and puts up a bunch of shots. Lin has to impose his will. Lin can do the job and has to make the hard choice to not be buddy buddy with Harden, at least on the court, and actually assert himself as the playmaker with a decent amount of shots attempted.

3. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Good post. I think Lin fans would be more appeased if Clyde and Bill didn't always run with the "Beverley outplayed Lin in the preseason" narrative. Of course they should know better than to get so worked up over what our commentators say.

I like Lin off the bench because it allows him to be the main guy, which is a role he's very good at in spurts. There's a reason why last season, whenever Harden was out, he'd be our first option even though he's usually our 3rd option behind Harden and Parsons. Lin just doesn't get enough touches Harden and Dwight around, and that's not even taking into account the great Chandler Parsons Point Forward experiment.

4. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

That is what irks me most. That people who claim to be rockets only fans don't see at all how clearly Lin is the much better player and contributor to the team. It's not that he deserves to start, because he does, but that his starting is a big positive for the team.

I agree with you about this ten shot stuff. My own feeling is that Lin has quit on the team and is playing for his own stats and FG%. He doesn't think he's going to get fair treatment here so he's checked out and doing what he needs to to make sure he gets a good offer when his contract is up if he isn't traded before that.

If we had a stronger coach they would utilise him more and better.

His quote from the players only meeting was very telling. Normally he's very supportive and enthusiastic, where as this time he sounded quite indifferent. Though it's hard to say for sure from a short sound bite.

People talk about getting Rondo to take the ball out of Hardens hands, why don't they consider TRYING putting the ball in Lin's hands a bit more? James was much more efficient last season when he shared the ball a bit more it's Lin. Now he's playing one on five and his efficiency is not what it was.

Though I think his three might be back now and we will see his numbers rise again.

5. bws

bws Member

Chemistry, Lin may be OK and more involved once the trade deadline has passed if he's still with the team. The trade rumors involving him may be in the back of his mind. One thing people may not be considering is Dwight may be Lin's advocate and telling McHale he wants to work with Lin. I'm not sure if that's the case but if it is, then Lin has a good chance of staying with the team. I really think Dwight likes Lin's game and playing with him.

Lin plays hard and strong and you want to be appreciated on a team. I don't know if that's coming from the coaches. Here, CF has a lot of members including, honestly, Clutch who would rather have someone else at PG.

6. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

And here is why Lin should remain backup PG when Bev returns:

Beverley plays brilliant PG defense on a team lacking in perimeter defense, in a league dominated by superlative PGs. Also our second unit is much less offensively capable than our first, and we need Lin to be the offensive leader of that unit.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What irks me the most is that LOF are so blinded by what they want to believe they will say anything. We now have 300 possessions of Lin and 500 possession of Beverley in the starting lineup. Beverley lineups have outperformed Lin's lineups both defensively, as expected, and offensively.

This is not some shoddy armchair GM analysis, this is a measurement of performance. Points per possession does not lie.

The total net difference is .164 points per possession

Here are the offensive stats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the defensive stats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about you leave the fantasy land where Lin is contributing more than Beverley. That simply has not been the case at all.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

Why are you posting stats you don't understand? Is it because ppg and other relevant stats don't fit your agenda ?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Please explain it to me, then

If I am wrong, I want to know why.

Unlike some people, my views are open to change, especially if made on bad information.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dude....you Lin groupies are unbelievable. The worst. THE WORST.

As I said, I want to trade Lin to the Lakers, not because I actually have it in for Jeremy Lin, and NOT because I'm anti-Asian (I've seen his Facebook page, I've been to the games, I'm just saying, I know who his fans are) but because Lin fans are just as horrific as Lakers fans.

Brandishing that I-phone right now, letting this post get you incensed, yes?

I understand. I get it. Jeremy Lin is a great role model. But while I wish him well and wish he would always play well, he is not a great basketball player.

Sometimes he's good. Sometimes not. He's Jordan Farmar with a bigger paycheck and a lot of you guys trying to vote him into the All Star game.

If Lin comes out and torches the Knicks tonight, I will be thrilled.

But I know the next game he'll look like he just picked up a basketball.

For you and the rest of you reading-impaired Lin groupies, I will waste my time saying it again:

If you traded Harden today for a lesser "star" and better depth that would fit the team, someone who would play defense and recognize he has four teammates on the floor with him and NOT chase after numbers in order to guarantee the other half of his contract's fifth year and YES, take all opponents seriously....then I would cheer. (And I'd have to give away my Harden jersey.)

I'm sick of Harden's laziness. He wants to play 40 mpg to stat-pad and make the All Star team. If he played 34 mpg and played some D, we'd be better off; and that doesn't seem like it'll happen.

I have trashed Harden's effort. Again. And again. And again. And I trash Bev's lack of playmaking ability. And Brooks' defense which is even worse than Harden's. And will continue to do so.

Dudes, these guys love stats. Don't trust what you see. It's all in the stats.

You've probably got somebody working on an Excel spreadsheet as we speak.

11. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

I dont want to be mediocre again...

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

Those stats are skewed because of the anti-Lin sets McHale runs when Lin is in n the lineup. Only haters fail to see this.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Is this a serious post?

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

Dead serious. Staff has it out for him.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Oh, okay....

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

I promised myself I'd waste time at work doing something more productive and enlightening for the new year, but once again, I am drawn to all this soap opera.

at least i'm not watching korean dramas.

17. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Hey larsv8, basically it boils down to the sample size being too small to properly evaluate lineup differences.

If you think about it in terms of possessions, there are roughly 100 possessions in a given NBA game (per team). So if you say you have "300 possessions worth of data", that translates into 3 games' worth of data. Put in that context, I think you'll agree that 3 games isn't much to put stock in, since anyone can have a great 3 games and still be considered a scrub - just ask Jeremy Lin! ;)

Lineup-based data are even more sensitive to issues related to sample size because they are dynamic and situationally-driven. Without getting too jargony, basically when you think about a given lineup, think about when and why it is used. "Going small", for example, can be done proactively to generate mismatches against an opponent whom you believe has inferior smaller/quicker players than yours. Similarly, it can be reactionary, in the sense that your opponent is trying to take advantage of an immobile big man that your team relies upon, so you swap him out in exchange for a faster, shorter player since you no longer need a 7-footer when the other team isn't putting anyone on the floor remotely that tall.

Stuff like this actually exacerbates biases in the sample, so you need an even larger sample over an even larger number of opponents/lineups/players to be comfortable making any analyses on them.

The best metaphor I can think of is if you have two cars: a convertible and a fuel-efficient hybrid. You only use the convertible when you're drag racing your biddes, and you only use the fuel-efficient hybrid when you're doing the 2-hour commute from work on the highway. If you tried to compare the fuel efficiency between the two, it wouldn't be a fair comparison, because you aren't using them in the same contexts. What you really want to do is use both cars for the same things, over a decent period of time, and then compare those aggregate numbers against each other.

At this point it's not really about being wrong or right - it's just too soon to really draw any solid analysis. The numbers might indicate something, but not enough that you'd want to start putting money down in Vegas based on them...

Anyway, hope this helps!

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Jordan Farmar? Come on, now lol

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

yes it was a joke :p

20. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member