1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 26, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Playoff's don't count. Games that are oriented on half court offensive sets are not his strong suit. Don't bring that up.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wait so let me get this straight. So Kobe, DH12 and CP3 have asian fans because they are the best players in the NBA. So Asians focus on skill and can think logically when it comes to Kobe DH12 and Cp3 but when it comes to Lin all they see is skin color and they aren't able to use the same reason that they apply to Kobe Cp3 and Dh12 to Lin. Ok then.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Posters like me?! LOL you mean a poster that simply thinks Lin has played at an all star level. And I am not a real fan and I make Cfans unbearable? I didn't realize that I blamed Harden, DH12 and Parsons when Lin plays poorly damn I must have way to much spare time. You presume to know a lot about me.

LOL so TS% is flawed stat because Lin is a good offensive player. LMAO. So anything that says Lin is capable is automatically a flawed stat. LMAO the other poster is making you disqualify Lin when you don't want to. The nerve. You are right its is the other guys fault that made you realize TS% is a flawed stat. Shame on him. I just can't anymore.

1 person likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

You are absolutely blind. Does Jeremy Lin get in to the allstar game with those averages if he is black or white? Why wont Michael Carter Williams get in this year? He is playing better than Jeremy is and doesn't have the votes to show.

The fact is, you are one of those people who are to stubborn to argue with, because you throw out other people's good points in order to feel like your argument has merit. You are blind.

5. Chris Jent MVP

ROFL :grin:

LOFs killed Hollinger. When will their reign of terror end?? :eek:

6. tmacfor35

Emotional LOF fan. The stat is flawed, as it favors certain players games. Guys that are good on the break and that get consistently(wide open)great shots. Pull up some stats on half court offenses, and I will show you why Lin is not the elite offensive player that a TS% might hint. I never once said that every good stat about LIN is flawed. It is in this case.

Lets pull up playoff stats(half court oriented, which was absolutely the case against OKC). Can we? Or would that discredit yourself. All-star players excel in the playoffs, just like they do in the regular season. You have gone full-r****d in this thread.

7. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Nationality: American
    Ethnicity: Chinese

Hence he is Chinese-American or in their community known as American Born Chinese. He himself repeatedly talks about this.

Yes, he is not born and raised in China like Yao and Yi are, which I think it's important to recognize the differences.

But it's also important to understand whether we like it or not, that he does have Chinese heritage, which is why Nike/NBA have been marketing him even while he was on the Warriors.

I'm using Chinese as an ethnic category because in terms of business that market expands beyond the mainland. The fact that Linsanity happens adds to his appeal.

It's disingenuous to not admit his Chinese heritage, just like it's quite ignorant and overgeneralizing to lump all Asians as the same.

8. treeman

treeman Member

Wow, Lin? I really like the guy, and he is a fantastic piece on the team. But... really?

And over Harden?!?

9. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

Lin is a popular dude. Why is it so hard for people to understand? Being a better player does not necessary net you more votes. I don't know why people are still arguing over who should get more votes than who. That is like saying so and so should have more fans. It is not something people can control. Lol

10. tmacfor35

He was referring to a Lin fan saying Lin was better than Harden.

I believe.

11. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Does anyone know the context behind the introduction of fan balloting for the ASG? I haven't been able to find anything beyond the superficial.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL I am not throwing out your good points. I do not deny that race plays a role in the number of all star votes he has. But I am just urging you to recognize that a variety of other factors also play a role such as his religion as well as his ivy league background.

LMFAO. And I am the one who is throwing away other peoples good points? i agree with you race has played a role but god forbid you consider that something else aside from race plays a big role in his popularity. And god forbid you have the sense to know that maybe other superstar players popularity plays a role in them being an all star as opposed to solely skill, as well. But keep on keeping though.

LMFAO. I present to you Carmelo Anthony. Multiple time all star. In the post season he shoots 42% from the field and 32% from 3 in 66 playoff games. Compare that to regular season where he averages 45% FG and 34% from the 3 for a sample of 740 games. Clearly Melo is not an all star.

Lin had a awful post season record last year but the sample was how many games and he was injured for the majority of it and it was his first taste of playoff basketball. I am sure you subscribed to the belief that Harden's final performance against Miami was indicative of the fact that you can't win a title with Harden.

Ok here are some more stats for you since you don't like TS%. True shooting by the way is a measure of efficiency and is a sign of a smart scorer and a high IQ basketball player. But since you disagree that efficiency and high IQ isn't a sign of an all star player lets look at Lin's efg% which is 55% and measures how effectively he scores from the field. Compare that to Hardens efg% of 58% the season he was 6MOY. I see now reason why you would denounce efg% as a statistic because efg% is one of the four factors that the Houston rockets mentions in terms of keys to winning the game.

Or lets pull up Lin's synergy statistics. He ranks 114th of all NBA players (not just PG's) in pp for all offensive categories including (pnr ball handing, isolation, transition, off screen, post ups, spot ups, cuts etc) To be more specific Lin has a pp of 0.96 a FG% of 48 and a 3fg% of 39 and most of the categories he is strong at (PNR ball handling, isolation and spot ups are half court oriented offensive sets). Lets contrast that with Tony Parker who is an all star calibre guard. Parker has marginally better stats than lin overall (50%fg 41% 3fg) but Lin is the far better spot up shooter with a 1.21pp 31st in the NBA vs a 0.95pp 125th in the NBA and a slightly better PNR ball handler. But I am sure those stats are flawed.

13. chandlerbang21

I don't think harden will make it this year. Coaches will look at stats and pick someone else. Harden playing below monte Ellis level this season

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

His numbers are far from "fantastic." If 14/3/4 is playing at an "all star level" then you have a really low threshold. I guess we have different definitions of what an all star level player looks like. Jeremy is currently 75th in the league in ppg, 50th in apg, 102nd in spg, and 23rd in turnovers.

There are so many players playing better than him in the league right now, are all of those players playing at an all star level as well?

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

BTW Boogie Cousins is averaging 23/11/3 this year. THAT's all star level production.

If Jeremy was averaging around 18-20 points and 7-10 assists he'd be playing at an all star level.

16. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I agreed with you. It might be harder for Harden to get in this year. However, you still have a lot of games left so we'll see.

17. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Never going to happen on this team, based on his usage.....and playing 3rd/4th fiddle behind Howard, Harden, and Parsons. If he went to a crappy team where he can make all the shots those numbers should be attainable, but the team's record would still suck.....see Cleveland.:grin:

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that, but the point I was making was that there are sooo many players playing at Jeremy's level or better right now and it's strange to me how "roxxy" considers Jeremy to be playing at an all star level right now.

I guess about 75 other players in the NBA are playing at an all star level as well.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

He is actually average 15 points on 10 shots shooting 48% from the field and 39% from 3 in 30 minutes of play. His per36 stats are 17 points on 11 shots 5 assists and 3TO's. Those are fantastic numbers. Lowry in his last season in Houston was putting up similar numbers (same points 2 more assists and 1 less turnover) to Lin but Lin is shooting from the field and the perimeter way better than lowry was. In that season rocket fans agreed that Lowry was playing at an all star level.

My definition of all star level play matches that of Daryl Morey. He said that Lin was playing at an all star level during linsanity. That is a fact and on record. If Lin is playing better now than he did during linsanity does that not presuppose that he is currently playing at an all star level? I am not just pulling this out of my butt. I am simply using Morey's benchmark for analysis.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

all star **** right there, people voting in jeremy because he's good not because of his race