1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Chris Jent MVP

good post.

Lin isn't "too expensive" for Les, and he isn't preventing any major FA acquisition. Also, in the real world outside of ClutchFans, Lin is actually quite popular. There is no reason for Les to get rid of him.

Lin is staying with Rockets. Deal with it!!

2. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

kahn wasnt good either.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I still think he's at best an average defender but as long as he can play around this level offensively we need to start him. Our bench depth is terrible but I like the chemistry I'm seeing amongst the starters these past few games. The Memphis game was normally one we lose

4. pacmania

pacmania Member

Kahn wasn't good but its pretty hard to top losing four (4) first round picks in an under the table deal for joe smith. Risk and Reward ratio is very lopsided.

And the rookie draft prospects during that period were pretty good.

5. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

bring up kahn and point guards to a minny fan. they will go OFF.

6. dantian

dantian Member

Lin needs gelling with the starters particularly Howard, and needs good instruction from good coaches (not available right now) to improve on his weakness.
    He has the best court vision to direct the offense and had many hockey assists in the win against Grizz. But his handle and decision making in the paint (like controlling the pace and running paths after PnR) is still suspect, which leads to many TOs. I wonder whether they really teach him anything in the practices, as for a smart kid he does the same mistakes over and over again. And he might be intimidated by McHale's short leash. He seemed liberated in the 4th q. after AB checked out with injury, meaning no threat any more to be yanked at a mistake. Anyways, i don't see Lin improves his play much under this circumstances.

7. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

His work ethic and improvement is something he should be regarded for not doubted against. He seems to get in a habit of proving doubters wrong time and time again.

8. bws

bws Member

Yes. He can only improve his play through playing through those mistakes. He can work on handles and pressure in paint through the off-season in drills but it'll just take time through in-game situations before he's more solid in pace control and playing under heavy pressure. Note, he didn't turn the ball over in the 4th, probably because he stopped thinking and just let the game come to him.

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

If I were the type to say "Boom!!!" and make the hand motions, I would...

10. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

It was only used 20 games ago ...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nothing has changed.

DD

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Very clear and accurate assessment. It's not Lin vs Bev. It's Bev is not a starting pg and McHale doesn't get that.

13. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

The sad thing is that McHale bent over backwards to try to work out a situation for Twin Towers that was obviously not going to work, including starting Asik, proper minute staggering etc etc, but wouldn't/couldn't do the same for the Lin/Harden backcourt which has shown a lot of promise.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It stands out to me that Harden and Lin blended together well right after the Harden trade and before McHale has time to coach them into his system. I really think this coach doesn't understand how to develop talent. Yes, Lin is not a pure passing point. He is an aggressive, high risk scorer with a tendency toward isolation play who McHale is trying to turn into a low risk, low turnover floor general/set up man.

But in the process, the coach has Lin confused and looking over his shoulder. A short leash can harm a player's confidence and for Lin it appears to thwart his aggressiveness, without which he is useless. It is no surprised Lin played is ass off when injuries made it clear he wasn't getting pulled from the last game. Lin played loose and free. Maybe the coach should extend the leash and let the guy regain his confidence (to the extent his body allows).

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Totally agree. Trust is two-way.

Lin + Harden can still be one of the best, if not the best, backcourt in the NBA.

In the last two games, it was Harden then Lin who stepped up to take over in the fourth quarter. What a great luxury for a team to have two guys down the stretch that can shoot the 3, iso, PnR, get to the FT line, get to the rim and make plays for their teammates. This is a luxury very few team have. Not to mention we have Parsons + Dwight on top of the backcourt. I still can't understand why McHale would want to minimize this duo.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well said. One of McHale's issues with developing talent is that he doesn't know how to integrate two high scoring guards. His entire system is predicated with the offense running through the two spot. He can't or refuses to develop a system where the offense runs through both the one and two spot allowing Harden to play more D and Lin to play his style.

17. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Remember the first two or three games with Harden and Lin playing together? Harden dropped like 40+ pts and Lin almost had a triple double? There was no system and both were playing unselfishly. Then it's like Lin played a couple bad games and all of a sudden he had a short leash, he clearly was afraid to screw up in front of the coaching staff. It didn't help that he clearly was still recovering from the leg injury and didn't start performing until post All-star break. I just thought it was interesting how good Lin and Harden looked playing together and people were writing articles how they could be "The deadliest back-court duo."

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I will add to my comment above that Lin did play poorly, and that wasn't the coaching staff's fault. But it sure didn't help how the staff clearly showed they didn't want him playing thorugh mistakes, benched him over Beverly instead of letting him play through it. Remember his confessional at that church? I really hate the preachy god stuff, but he made note that the staff clearly didn't have a lot of confidence in him. The leash on him was rediculous considering he was a rookie starter.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look it also involves turnovers, both Lin and Harden are highly susceptible to turning it over, so you minimize one of them, and it is not going to be Harden.

It is the one thing that is holding Lin back, his casualness with the passes - if he could tigthen that up a bit more he would be very reliable - but I am not sure McHale will ever trust him.

I really think McHale will hold this team back in the end, he is clueless out there.

DD

1 person likes this.
  20. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Both McHale and Sampson benched Lin in favour of ...

Toney Douglas, who couldn't even get off the floor in New York (Tinman rant coming) with 3 PGs injured, hence the reason Lin got off the bench against New Jersey Nets at the start of Linsanity.

If I was Lin, I would be looking back over my shoulder thinking, what does my coach think of my game when Damian Lillard did most of the damage against Toney Douglas yet the coach wants to go with him in the 4th quarter instead of me. Remember this was at a time when Douglas was shooting something like 38% FG and 20% from 3s.

It's much like the Clutchfans board. The coaches made a call, and they need to continue to back their stance as opposed to acknowledge they probably were wrong.

And don't exclude the possibility that this all started because McHale wasn't happy Morey let go of Dragic (didn't want the 4th year player option) and got Lin instead. Probably didn't have anything to do with Lin initially.