1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BeardlyBeardman

That's how negotiations work if you're a good negotiator though.

I still believe we have the piece that other teams want. Everyone is trying to deadpan and lowball because of the time of year and the very public nature of Omer's discontent. Everyone assumes we don't have leverage, but I'm positive that Morey is not thinking this way. We have the asset. It's the other teams that want it. The teams he's haggling with aren't in jeopardy of missing a playoff run if they don't have a center tomorrow. They have time and they will use it.

Morey "stopping negotiations" is just a way to say, "Hey we're not going to give him away just to do it. If you don't think we'll keep him and try to flip at the deadline then you're wrong. Either offer me fair value or I'll wait and flip him to a contender and you can try your luck finding a top defensive center in the draft."

My money is still on something happening soon. If they truly do shut it down, all that really means is they didn't get offered a player that they thought they could flip THIS YEAR, and will hold out for a player that truly fits or a draft pick (which will be in play from now til Feb).

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I get what Morey was doing but this move was just stupid. He loses credibility with many GM's. "Yeah Morey we get your trying to create a deadline for your man but it's not our deadline so we aren't buying it.

Still kudos for Morey for trying it. Testing the waters to see if someone was desperate for a center that they would give up something of value. Even using Clutch to help perpetuate his stupid charade. He won't be able to use that fake tactic or maybe he will. He only needs one stupid GM to fall for it but he definitely loses some credibility.

Certainly Ainge and Hinkie weren't falling for it. The trade with Boston would be just a dump for them.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

because it was the first and so far only time that the loophole in the CBA was exploited so they probably do not have an idea how it works exactly

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

man, but having millsap would be awesome though...

5. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

How ironic, the poison pill contract cuts both ways.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Asik got 10 points 12 rebounds per game at 30 minutes last year.

Lopez gets 9 points 8 rebounds per game in 30 minutes this year.

So you are completely wrong.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

But everyone reported it ad nauseam after NYC let Lin go...that was national news, not just sports news.

8. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Yea. Knowing that the GM will make a good faith effort to comply with your wishes, but will stop short of harming the team . . .

Yea. That will surely scare off any potential free agent.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

So McHale was serious last night saying Omer will be back in the lineup. :) Lol.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I don't think he loses credibility. Every GM already knows Morey deals from a stacked deck.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Houston always had this extra time. They didn't have to buy it. Morey just thought there was a way to force someone's hand and he crapped out. No harm done, okay maybe his rep took a little hit. But most GM's don't trust Morey anyway.

12. davestrate

davestrate Member

Keep collecting them checks is my advice. Why should he? If he's as good as some say he is; his value will not go down over a few missed games OR he has reached his peak, knows this and both he and other teams around the league are letting the world know that fact.

13. torocan

torocan Member

I disagree.

Morey made clear from the beginning what sort of package he wanted, and that was a solid first round pick. He even floated around his ideal price of being TWO first round picks. Setting a reserve price on an auction is very, very common.

So, Morey created a timed auction, told everyone what sort of package he wanted, and in his mind didn't get a package that was acceptable. He then exercised the right to exit the auction due to nobody meeting his reserve bid.

If someone met his reserve bid and he didn't move Asik, then you could argue he lost credibility. However, if they didn't meet his reserve bid, then he has in fact increased his credibility.

IE, the price needs to be at least X. None of the offers were at least X. So I'm taking my marbles and going home.

And the timed auction will be similarly functional no matter how many times he uses it, as long as he adheres to the rules that he creates for the auction.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<p>
    </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>when asik and lin were signed by us, it was a coup. Everyone heard about the reason why Chicago and ny made their decision (poison pill), but no one paid attention to the salalry cap implications for the rockets. Why? It simply didn't matter. People care more about the fact that two promising FA were stolen from big name franchises. </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Its the same reason folks still believe Dwight left 30mill on the table, when in actuality the number is closer to 18mill and doesn't even take into consideration that he'll be able to sign another max deal, one year sooner.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>headlines, man</p>

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm somewhat excited about having essentially just traded Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a restricted first round pick that we never knew about to the Boston Celtics today in exchange for OMER ASIK! He'll be an excellent backup C for this team!

Huzzah!!!

2 people like this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Imagine what Lee must have gone through last night. He looked really happy in that video when asked if he missed Houston.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So if we get Milsap how do we address the backup center position?

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am going to assume that the artificial deadline was a compromise to Omer - of course no GM is going to say he needs to trade a player by a certain time unless its the trade deadline. Morey knows Omer despite all his sulking still holds tremendous value to every (yes every) team out there.

He probably wanted to do whats best for Omer but also told Omer that if there is a deal that would benefit both the Rockets and Omer that was present to them by Dec 19/20 they would make the trade but if not then they would maybe try again by the deadline. The deals out there by any standard do not make any sense for the Rockets -- I am sure if that deadline wasn't put out there they may have gotten better offers but at the same time maybe they wouldn't get too many offers since other GMs may not have been as motivated to deal that early.

I am sure Daryl knew he would get crap offers by putting that 'deadline' out there so it gives him a way to keep Omer and still looking like a good guy and use it to hopefully fuel Omer to get out of his funk and play his ass off so that he can trade him at the deadline or over the summer and teams will want him.

I bet that there are plenty scenarios where Omer can get 18-22 minutes a game and make a huge impact on the defensive end and have teams wanting him big time again

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

i wouldn't worry too much about leverage - leverage was created when there were multiple parties interested in asik, and there were. just not as many as morey would like, and the market for asik isn't very big right now, and the demand not as high. people aren't as desperate for asik and whether the leverage is there or not, if the market/demand isn't there, it isn't there.

now, because the deadline is still a few months away, there is time. at least now we know what the market looks like. maybe when teams get closer to the trade deadline, they'll have a clearer idea as to what they'd like to accomplish this year. celtics might realize hey, we have a good shot at this thing, and just need someone like asik. or they might decide to trade away rondo and rebuild, in which case they'll need their picks in the upcoming mega draft, and can always look to pick up asik in free agency for less money and more years.

this is pretty much like taking your house off the market in winter and relisting in spring.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Omer just upset because he is missing McHale's birthday party with all these trade talks.