1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case of Spencer Hawes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redrush, Dec 9, 2013.

1. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

According to http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q14 the Non-Taxpayer MLE for next year will be 5.3 mil... I think Hawes, if he keeps this offense up all season, will likely warrant a bigger contract.

2. redrush

redrush Member

Well first Omer Asik provide instant presence in the paint for the 76ers. 76ers has a young, perhaps ROY in Carter-Williams; with a Asik they can show case Carter-williams by running pick and roll with Asik who is a top 5 finsiher around the basket. Now you have a line-up of Carter-Williams, Thompson, Asik, Young, Turner.

Then we have Nerlens Noel. Nerlens Noel is a tweener center who is recovering from a major knee surgery. I doubt they are going rely on him this early to be the anchor. Omer Asik provide a strong inside presence for years to come for the 76ers. I believe just because of the bad luck they've had with their past experience it is difficult not to trade for a top 5 center in defense, and uber efficient in terms of scoring around the basket and rebounding.

The 76ers had been talking about rebuilding Noel's offensive game. If he can develop a strong outside game, he would be amazing playing with Asik in a big line-up. The Howard-Asik combo never worked because neither one of them has an outside game. If Neol can develop his game it would be scary to see him and Asik on the court together.

3. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Asik is a top 5 pick and roll finisher? o_O

My question is, what do the Sixers really want to do this year? You're saying they'll be better with Asik. Do they really want to be better or do they want to be worse so they get a better 2014 pick?

Also, they won't really have Asik "for years to come" because his contract is up after next season. If he didn't want to play with Dwight, would he really want to play with Noel?

Look, I'm not saying the Sixers definitely won't trade for Asik, I'm just not just 100% convinced they need or want him bad enough to give us what we want. It all depends on their motives.

4. redrush

redrush Member

I think because of the same reason they are more open to trading Hawes. A team out there would paid him the money to leave 76ers. It would be hard to justified paying a center big money if they can't play top tier defense in the paint. But Asik is a center you can build around.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Your concerns are warranted but there question marks behind Nerlens N.

His injury is reminding of Oden. Maybe not as serious.
    His body frame does not necessarily fit as a starting Center right away.
    He might have to play PF anyway. (Like Anthony Davis)

6. redrush

redrush Member

What we want is a center that they won't commit to with a 2 yrs contract. Hawes chose to go back because he couldn't get any more money from any other teams naming-Heats, wolves, blazers. I don't think think they would hesitate to trade him away for a top tier interior defending center. And you think they would rely on Noel who is just coming off of a major knee surgery. You've seen the effect a knee injury have on a player and I doubt 76ers needs to be remind of that. Do you think Noel is going to come back and dominate the game? If that's the case they can just let Asik walk after the season is over which is the last year of his contract.

And "for years to come" is I don't see Nerlens' game translate very well to the nba because he is lacked the physicality. He is at least 20lbs and 3 years away from being a solid starter. I would assume Omer Asik is going to be happy to play with 76ers current line-up and therefore he would have no problem re-signing with the 76ers.

7. redrush

redrush Member

And for tanking wise I don't believe Omer Asik has that effect on a team that would boost them into the playoff. But he does solidified the center position which is a 76ers weakness at this point.

8. redrush

redrush Member

I think you had me confused. if you read it again I said a top 5 finisher about the basket not pick n roll finisher

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Philly is like a Sister team of the Rockets. They play Vipers style.
    Asik does not have to adapt. All he needs to do is come in and play away.
    MCW is going to find him for a couple of dunks.
    He is going to rebound like in his best days and alter shots.

10. redrush

redrush Member

I agree, I think last year had shown that Omer can be productive in that system. Also at times Omer showed is willing to run the floor and finish. I think that would be a big plus for the 76ers

11. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Look man, I know Asik is good. He's one of the best defensive centers in the league, doesn't have injury issues, and averaged 10 and 10 in his first season as a starter.

I'd also really like to get Spencer Hawes. I wouldn't mind getting T Young too, if they're looking to shed more salary in a Hawes/Young for Asik/D-Mo/G Smith(or other young, cheap guy) type deal.

All I'm doing is questioning the certainty in which people think the Sixers are lusting to give us whatever we want. They're in probably a 3 year rebuild mode and we're trying to trade a guy within a certain time frame, that doesn't exactly give us the bargaining advantage. They also have Noel in their back pocket, he might end up being Oden or he might live up to his potential.

12. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

You said "with a Asik they can show case Carter-williams by running pick and roll with Asik who is a top 5 finsiher around the basket"

This implies that he will be top 5 at finishing around the basket after running the pick and rull, thus a pick and roll finisher.

Asik is a great defensively and he averaged 10ppg as a starter so he's not terrible offensively. He's not top 5, around the basket, pick and roll, or whatever.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I cannot agree with the last sentence. I think Asik is borderline terrible on Offense. The Rockets made him look better than he really is.

He could have had 14 points on dunks alone in this system.
    It's not like he is trapped in double teams like Howard at times.

14. redrush

redrush Member

I meant to say efficiency. I see what I wrote now haha.

15. redrush

redrush Member

In terms of catch and finish, offensive rebound put back his efficiency is top 5 among center. He might not look like he is an offensive monster but you might be under-minding he efficiency around the basket.

16. vvade

vvade Member

Trading a starter for a backup. I don't know. The better center is Asik. Omer is one the second best defensive/rebounding centers in the league.

Hawes would be nice as a backup for Howard, and Jones is doing well at the 4. Maybe the TT can work with Howard and Hawes, but when you trade you assume the worst unless proven otherwise. Last year Collins said he would start Hawes at PF next to Bynum, but Drew was injured all season. I think it could work on some teams to be honest.

17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

But it's good for their tanking plan.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I never paid much attention to Hawes but from his numbers, he looks like he is better than asik and they are the same age. I don't know about defensively but offensively he seems to put up decent numbers. I can't see why the 76ers would do this. I would take it though, have hawes back up dwight and be able to provide offense. I'd prefer this than taking young who is redudant of T jones at this point like others have stated.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Asik is much better than Hawes and its not even close. Basic stats only tell part of the story.

Hawes' specialty is being able to space out to the 3 point line, and besides that he's just "ok" at everything else. He's not an elite defensive big man at all.

That being said I'm not sure about Hinkie really being that sold on acquiring Asik at this point. Although I'm sure he loves him, I dont exactly know that he wants his team to take a huge step forward this year in wins which Asik should do for them just by offering them a defensive anchor, and a center who can really create alot of space for guards & wings on the pick and roll.

For the Rockets Spencer Hawes would be a weapon off the bench as a backup 5 who can space, but I dont see him being able to play alongside Dwight defensively. He's too foot slow to play fast paced transition defense & can't rotate as effectively as an athletic PF could like Jones or a PF they acquire.

However if they can deal Asik for Hawes and a draft pick (protected Philly pick or wishful thinking the Pelle's pick) that would be on of the more preferable deals available to them. If they deal for Thad Young instead, and no picks, I'd have to think that Hinkie probably won the trade because he at least got rid of a long term contract for a decent but not great veteran.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No thanks. That would be one expensive backup center rental.