1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 12/2/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Oracle

Oracle Member

This!!! This such a young and talented team with great depth. By the end of the season, it will be a monster team for any contender. Let these guys earn some experience and give them time to gel and everything will be just great.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Parsons is the glue guy, McHale tried starting Garcia on Hayward, which was atrocious, then he tried Harden which was just bad, then he tried Brewer which escalated to awful.

Offensively, this was one of those games where Harden should have just done full Kobe and gone for 50. When he tried to mvoe the ball around in the 4th, it turned into static and Brooks iso whereas his isos and Dwight pnrs were just money.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

disgusting loss......Trey Burke can't even get it done in summer league and he comes out here like he's Damian Lillard.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't TOO big a deal guys. Even championship teams always have those games in the regular season where they lose to crappy opponents.

Now, it's a little concerning that this is the 3rd time this has happened this year, but we need to learn how to not play down to our opponent. That takes time and experience. I wouldn't expect us to be true contenders for another year or two. We will be more of a finished product by then.

Enjoy the ride.

6. adobo

adobo Member

Bad loss, but lets not go overboard. We've had good wins on the trott and this game had a classic trap game written all over it. My guess is the team were still riding high on the Spurs win and thought this was going to be a cakewalk.

The energy of the team was barely there at the start of the game, especially in the defensive end which allowed some Jazz players especially Hayward to get into rhythm and get into some confidence. Once we picked up some energy it was always going to be a struggle to claw our way back unless we get some luck and get a lot of our shots down especially from 3pt land, but that never really happened.

I think from this game we can see we need players like Lin and Parsons who can help out not only offensively, but also defensively and there playmaking ability. Although Caspi, Garcia and Brooks can be a spark, they lack the defensive effort and playmaking that we get from Lin and Parsons.

One big note from this game if i compare to the previous games, our defensive effort has really taken a step back in this game. Previous games when Harden was out, the team was slowly getting into there rhythm with there team defense, and I did notice that it carried even when Harden came back (I was worried just before Harden came back). Don't get me wrong, this is not having a go at Harden, I'm just pointing out the weakness that he really needs to work on (Mchale and the rest coachng staff will tell you the same thing), since team defense requires all players to put in the effort since if one player does not put in effort or is not switched on there defensive assignments then the whole team defense just collapses.

Harden is so essential to this team offensively, and we all know this, but defensively his also having an impact in a negative way, and he would be the first person to tell you that he knows he needs to work on this.
    At the same time we also have to remember his playing 40+min per game and having foot problems, so we can't be too harsh on the guy. We just hope we can see gradual improvement this season and I have no doubt he will improve in this department.

7. N/A

N/A Member

I'd agree with you except that there's no visible progress. They're just getting by with talent alone. Mchale won't miraculously change his "coaching" or lackthereof and James will be James. Dwight will be Dwight. It's so frustrating since James so damn good. If he just gave a damn and made some effort to play D and move the ball he'd be twice the player he is right now and they'd be winning games with ease. As it is they'll just win and lose close games. No more blowout wins but they'll get plenty of blowout losses ala Clippers style. Just watch.

8. N/A

N/A Member

In such a stifling environment, how does anyone develop? You're only allowed to make mistakes and do whatever the hell you want to do if you're James or Dwight (Chandler gets a lot of leeway too) - even if the way you play the game is the complete opposite of your strength. Talk about mind-numbingly stupid. Great coaching (facepalm).

9. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

Yeah, that was weird, McHale should have kept TJones in, even his offensive was not there, but he always has good rebound both ends of the court. I think we push way too much energy on offensive and lapsing on defense. It should have been the other way around, similar to last couple of games. When we stop on defensive end, we need not expand that much of energy on offensive end.

Hope its a lesson learned for the team.

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think this was a team loss, it's hard to ever blame a loss on any one person. One thing that you have to look at is that the Jazz scored 42 points from the point guard position. I hope when Lin comes back that the coaching staff considers putting him back as the starter. The opposing pg's don't have to d up on Bev, he really isn't much of an offensive threat. I still think you need your best 5 players starting the game, to much is made of this 6th man crap. As long as you have scorers coming off of the bench like Casspi and Garcia, there doesn't have to be this special 6th man.

11. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

There has been visible process. Watch some of the first couple games of the season and compare them to the last couple of games. Our post play has improved dramatically (I am talking about spacing, knowing when to cut among other things), we added a good amount of wrinkles to our offensive sets (We started doing different loop screens and various double screen renditions instead of the usual flare screens). Our prototypical read and react offense is starting to pick up some steam as well. Defensively, our rotations are much crisper than they use to be albeit that there could always be room for improvement in that regard, and also we seem to be communicating on that end of the floor better.

12. GoldenAdress

GoldenAdress New Member

In my opinion , It was a unlucky defeat against to very very lucky team.Hayward and Burke barely missed shots almost entire game.No reason to blame harden ( his lack of D) nor howard ( for not showing up ) .
    Team just couldnt addapt jazz offence at the beggining and Jazz made 37 point in 1st q.That may happen , all we need is concentrate when we are on road. Thats all .

I disagree with most of the ClutchFans who say '' get rid of Harden , Howard and Mchale ''

13. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

We have one but he was hurt.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still can't believe this kid scored 29

15. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Any NBA team, even crappy ones, can beat better teams. Yesterday, the Heat won by a measly one point over the Bobcats in Miami's home turf and took a huge 4rd quarter by the Heat just to do it.

The Rockets are good, but they are still a work in progress who are finding out that injuries to key players can take a toll on a team.

It is going to be long season, don't fret over a single game.

17. oli88

oli88 Member

Yeah but they're taking a long time to gel. They don't look as if they are playing as a team like the Pacers, Spurs or Blazers do. Dwight seems lazy on small games but picks up on big press coverage games (and the same can be said to an extent for Harden) - human nature I suppose. Assuming we make the playoffs I think that could work to our advantage. ATM I see a Spurs or OKC match up, which for our team this year will be a good thing for next year when we're a higher seed.

18. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

i was saying that exact thing...check the thread...

No it wouldnt be a blowout L cause the other players would have higher usage rate and would get into rhytm...we won against much better teams without Harden...the problem with one man dominated O is that others dont get too much involved and dont get into rhytm....

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

at least with the heat i can understand, they've won back-to-back titles and it's hard to get up for a regular season game vs the bobcats. They're just bored, but they've already proven they're ready for prime time.

A team that still has much to prove, losses like this are disconcerting.

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

exactly....Knick fans used to say "melo has no help! He's doing everything they can"

Nowadays looking back they realize the team has a better chance of winning if he scores in the 20's than the 30's cause it means other people can get involved.