1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Raptors @ Rockets 11/11/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

even prettier compared to Rudy Gay LOL

29 pts on (17x2+3) shots

2. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

You should ignore Dangermouse. He is a confirmed troll.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Confirmed by your imaginary friend?

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

Our offense this season has been horrendous. Don't really need a Rocket scientist to know that you can't play iso-ball with an Asik-Howard lineup with a PG who can't make an interior pass to save his life. Can we please for the love of gawd bring Asik off the bench and synch the Asik-Howard lineup minutes with Lin on the floor and Harden on the bench? While you are at it, bring Parsons off the bench, too. It's getting really old seeing Parsons brick threes on iso-kickouts.

This is just too ironic. The only Rocket who has been able to adjust effectively to Lin's new role as an off-the-ball player has been...Lin.

5. rocksclo

rocksclo Member

IMHO Lin played a good game, far from being perfect.
    BUT, we won. That's all that matters.
    I think Lin's TO is really overrated in the eyes of Clutchfans. I am not sure what it is, but in Clutchfans, Lin's expected to get 20/5/5/5 with less than 2 TOs every night. If any Rockets' players somehow forget to switch late in game, or takes a 5/16 FGs, Lin will be THE scapegoat. "Lin loses us this game", or "Lin's TO really killed us the whole game".
    LoF are irrational basketball noobs, but the hates toward Lin is to a point of unbearable. You can't be much better than those noobs if you are responding to those irrational statements.
    I love Jeremy because he's a good player. I coach kids games from time to time and I've always let my boys play through TOs. This game is called Basketball. The more you try, the more you'll the ball turnover.
    BUT SO WHAT?
    You will never learn to play the ball if you stop trying. All great players miss more shots than made. The great Chris Paul played games and turned the ball over 8 times in multiple NBA games. That won't stop him from being successful in this league.
    Let him play.
    Its' a part of growing process.
    Clutchfans seem a bunch of short sighted fans who can't seem to appreciate what you already have. Always arguing the same old arguments. Give it a rest, please.

6. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

If makes you feel better, imagine JLin went 10-22 for 31 with zero TO (the box score doesn't care)

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden 36 turnovers in 321 minutes = .11214953 turnovers/minute
    Lin 28 turnovers in 250 minutes = .112 turnovers/minute

Almost identical turnover per minute numbers so far this season. They both have some work to do

8. Oracle

Oracle Member

It's not about me feeling better. I feel good because the team won. That's what counts. I don't mind TOs either because they are part of a normal BB game.

I'm talking about unnecessary TOs. When a player gets hyper and starts to make TOs when he had great passing lanes for higher probability shots, that's when the TOs start to hurt.

9. dxdx

dxdx Member

We were lucky that the raptors had several chuckers today, and that several of their key plays fouled out early. Honestly, we shouldn't even be struggling with Toronto with 2 OTs, and considering their inefficiency, we definitely should have outscored them by alot.

Harden put up good stats and i like his assists, but he needs to stop the hero ball crap. Especially on the game ending plays. (3 rockets open, but he chose to take contested shot while being triple teamed). He did get better towards the end though. Also, it looked like McHale played Harden as a creator, while used Lin as a spot-up/driving scorer, which explains the drastic changes in stats between both guys.

Jones was great defensively, but could not contribute much because of the team's ball hogging. IIRC he was open at least 3 times, but the ball player didn't want to pass.

Howard needs to work on his free throws. Lucky, that raptors didn't go full-blown hack-a-dwight.

Bev wasn't really good offensively and backed off a lot defensively probably because of foul trouble. Although his rebound in OT , and getting Lowry fouled out, was so so so crucial. This game changing plays are so essential and I'm glad Bev could chip in. Plus I love his positive attitude even though he rode the pine.

Lin carried the team today, plain and simple. Started slow, but got into full gear and maintained it throughout. Some dumb plays leading to TOs happened, but his offensive prowess was crazy good with the clutch scoring. Easily 6moy if he continues.

McHale wasn't very good today (what's new?). I give him the adjustment in the 2nd half, and thank god he finally stopped the TT crap. But the poor poor poor game ending plays were atrocious (hero ball? and where was the foul!? we were lucky rudy gay missed)

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

We all know these turnover fanatics are just looking for something to hate on. You cant consistently call Lin average, below average or overrated, then get upset that he's turning the ball over, what were you expecting then?

Eric Bledsoe does more turning over than I see from chefs, but no one cares as long as he puts up numbers. He's the next stud PG regardless. If Lin averaged 21 pts, 7 assists, 4+ turnovers you can be sure he'd be called reckless and careless.

11. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

Unfortunately, sometimes, "unnecessary TOs" are also part of a normal BB game, due to fatigue, lapse of focus, etc... ...it's easy for us to be armchair critics.

Nonethless, judging from his improvements in 3pt shooting, going left, defense, etc... over the off-season, I'm sure JLin is more aware about his weaknesses than any of us (what really counts - not whether you or I think his TOs are too high).

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

You know who understands these turnovers and aren't too concern with them? Daryl Morey. He said TOs shouldn't be a concern in the system we run.

http://www.ysr1560.com/mp3/files/110...yl Morey.mp3

That said, I think we absolutely need to take care of the ball way better. Lin/Harden/Howard/Parsons/Casspi all have their share of ugly TOs, but Lin/Harden are definitely the biggest culprits.

What I do like about this season is seeing McHale being a little more patience with Jeremy and his TOs in 2nd half situation and letting him work through them. Hopefully this will help him learn from his mistakes, hopefully. Harden gets these passes all the time, it's about time our 2nd playmaker get the coache's confidence nod too.

That said, there are definitely sports media out there who do use Lin's TOs to diminish his contributions. These same peeps never make any kind of noises about Hardens, so the double-standard could be jarring.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

in a faster paced offence, you need to expect turnovers, no team playing quick basketball has little turnover numbers because you are always pushing the ball. I loving Jeremy Lin coming off the bench, boy is he leading that unit well and shooting the ball so well

14. 1zcheng

1zcheng Member

Finally a victory

15. RunningNGunning

This is so stupid. Winning a game and all you can talk about is turnovers? Give me a break. Derrick Rose leads the league in turnovers at 5 per game now, does that make him a bad player? Turnovers mean jack shhhhh when you are able to win the game. Now move on to the stats that matter like PPG, RPG, APG, STL, BLK

16. arusinov

arusinov Member

As much as remember: in ESPN they initially credited assist to Terrence Jones in 2nd qtr fast break to Lin (actually Casspi's assist). Then they credited assist to Harden 3 to Casspi in the end of 3rd qtr (actually Lin's assist). Then they fix first case but not second, so Casspi got 1 "extra" assist in stats.

What's can be said - in both cases both Casspi and Lin were involved. In first case Lin intercepted path, ball got to Casspi who sent it to Jones. In second - Casspi got off.rebaund and moved ball to Lin which assisted to Harden.
    Maybe ESPN statisticians just didn't understand that it was additional "hop" in the way to basket.

17. FacePalmMaster

Right on, going on my ignore list.

18. Baruch

Baruch Member

26 pts and 10 assists, improved effort on defense, moving and sharing the ball, plus playing with illness and sore foot. Nothing to be complained about.

19. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

His handle is alarmingly effective/smart at times and I don't know why nobody has praised that yet.

20. New

The zone defense was part of the reason lin have no AST and also raptor chose to foul the roll man hard. Lin initiated the offense a lot last night and he earned it by playing consistently good game on both end of the floor.
    BTW: it is no secret that Rocket's off ball movement is really bad out side of a few plays. We are underachieving on the offensive end given the quality of our players. But that's ok so far: we have harden and we have the potential to play good defense. The reason we are seeing a lot of Harden hero ball is our system. You can see that even when Lin has the ball, he can not do much.