1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

LIN SHOULD START - Calvin Murphy csn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Nov 9, 2013.

1. yummyhawtsauce

Dont forget, Asik is willing to set screens and run PNR. I like it when Lin and Asik run PNR. Lin actually gets a screen for once. Only problem is Asik needs to catch the ball and finish better.

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Agreed. Does anyones have the +/- on this lineup?

Bev
    Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard

Bev and Lin provide decent guard defense so Harden can hide.
    Parsons is a great stretch 4 that can run the floor and finish.
    Lin needs to share playmaking duties with Harden like last year.
    Howard is just a more athletic Asik that can catch and finish although Asik is a way better PnR defender. Dwight kinda just stays in the key.

3. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I still want to see a Jeremy, Bev, Harden, Parsons, Dwight line-up on the floor at some point. Fully believe that we would run the court this this out there.

4. RocketPowerNick

The more Bev/Lin play together the better

5. SunsRocketsfan

Do you mean start???

That lineup actually was used a few times this season

6. rj3000

rj3000 Member

Wasn't Patrick Patterson a starter? Didn't stop them from trading him. Kevin Martin was a starter too.

7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Don't care who starts. Whatever is good for the team will be good for the players.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy is a well-known LOF. Last year, he had the temerity to mention that Lin should handle the ball more.

For the real fans who don't know - Calvin Murphy is an HOF point guard who was a Rocket before they were even in Houston.

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Yeah, I remember Earving Johnson on sportcenter saying Lin was a very special PG that makes the whole team better. See how stupid he looks now! Who is this Johnson anyway and what does he know about basketball or PGs!?

10. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Please check to see Calvin Murphy's join date. If it is 2012 or later, anything he says is to be considered a joke.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

I checked. He's a 2013er. 2013ers cannot be trusted!!!

12. langal

Earving Johnson is also known as Doctor Jay. I think he was on those great Yankee teams from the 80s.

13. joe101

joe101 Member

Seriously, Morey and McKale created this. They talk them up and treat them like god. “The reality is James (Harden) and Dwight (Howard) want to play with Jeremy and Omer. I’ve been kicked down to assistant GM. They’re going to be here.” When your GM said something like that, it does nothing but boost their ego. It's just a beginning.

14. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

From another post I just made. Here are the On Court/Off Court Net Ratings so far this year. What this means is how the team performs when the player is on the court as compared with when he is off the court. A positive net rating means the team does better with the player on the court. A negative net rating means the team does better with the player off the court.

So far through Game 7:

Lin = +12.6
    Bev = -07.1

So, maybe Murphy is an advanced stats guy and knows these numbers (or whatever they were at the time he made the statement).

For example, Beverley had vastly superior individual stats for tonight's game against the Clippers. But the team performed better with Lin on the floor as compared to when Beverley was on the floor. Here are the net ratings for each player from the game:

Lin = +07.7
    Bev = -16.8

This kind of shocked me when I saw it, but it kind of jibes with the +/- data from the game.

15. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I would say start but I think that would complicate things, in terms of fatigue among other things. I think you would have to plug in Brooks in there somewhere and it just gets messy with rotations. I would really like that though, in a vacuum, where all have enough energy in the 4th to close. I was more so speaking of extended minutes. I know we went to that line-up a good amount in preseason but I haven't really seen it for a good amount of time during the regular season.

16. langal

Blah..blah..blah.

Lin was exposed earlier this decade by the Miami Heat. Remember? That was through a FULL 48 minutes of hot NBA action too. More than enough data.

Joking aside - those numbers are not too surprising. Bev's sample size is still too small though.

The one thing we do know is that the current starting lineup is not working.

17. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I agree with all of this. And the rest of what you wrote was LOL :cool:

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I agree with Murphy. Lin and dmo should start. The ball movement and overall offense would be much better. And if Dwight or Asik are in the game the defense and rebounding around the paint will be good.

Start Lin bring Bev in early for him as a spark. Just add dmo to the rotation and give him 8-12 minutes a game that Asik normally gets as a starter. Yeah asiks minutes will go down, but I'm more concerned with wins and building a winning formula than I am with trade value or keeping a guy happy. And I don't buy the trade value argument. Doesn't make any sense.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

And against teams like Memphis and San Antonio you just bring in Asik early for dmo if he's struggling. Everyone else's minutes and role stay the same.

20. FearTheBeardJH

Magic is the worst, I remember him saying after the Harden trade "OKC lost their best perimeter defender".