1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 11/9/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Oracle

Oracle Member

Miami lost tonight to the Celtics. Actually Miami and Houston have identical records just now (4-3). Two of the Rockets losses are against the Clippers and there is a reason for it. Their backcourt is just more effective than that of the Rockets. Paul-Reddick-Collison-Crawford is simply the strongest in the NBA. Unfortunately Jordan and Griffin were hungry as well.

I still believe that the Rockets will get far this year. The Rockets appear to have a problem with good 3 pt shooting teams. The defense is not really there. I believe that can be fixed.

2. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We contained Chris Paul relatively well this game. 14 pts, 13 ast on 5-13 shooting.

But Griffin outplayed Howard. Reddick outplayed Harden. D. Jordan outplayed Asik. Their 6th man, Crawford outplayed our entire bench.

3. New

Some CF: bench Lin! He will be our 6th man of the year!

Reason: When a bench player consistently have more impact on the outcome of a game compared to the superstars on the team, he must be the 6th man of the year!

4. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

maybe we can avoid the Clippers and the Lakers for time being

see how that works out

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

This shows how idiotic and paranoid LOF's really are.

1 person likes this.
  7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It was inexcusable for him to start the Twin Towers again after it had failed miserably both offensively and defensively in 5 out of 6 games thus far(and the one game it didn't was when Asik picked up 2 quick fouls). And not surprisingly the Rockets found themselves down 10 immediately. And while it may have been a wash in terms of point differential in the 2nd half, they didn't build on their lead from the 1st half which set the stage for the Clips to make their comeback.

Would the Rockets have won this game simply due to a different starting lineup? Maybe not, but I don't think anyone could credibly argue that they at least wouldn't have played better to start the first and second halves. And this is the easiest call in the world for McHale to make, yet he still won't do it. Which makes me wonder how in God's name he's gonna handle real adversity when it rears its ugly head(and it may already have the way this week has gone).

I've been thinking McHale might be a goner after this season if the team underachieves(i.e. first or second round loss). Now I'm starting to wonder if he'll survive through the All-Star Break.

8. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

That's a sign of bad coaching more than anything.

The players on this roster just doesnt know how to play anymore.

Harden wants to iso, dwight wants to post down low, lin wants to run.

Last year they all wanted to run and throw threes. That was their identity, now i dont know what their identity is.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

How can that be? Crawford had +12 and the Rockets bench had +12 combined as well.

10. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Advanced stats are out for the game:

http://stats.nba.com/teamPlayers.ht...=Advanced&PerMode=PerGame&DateFrom=11/09/2013

The only players with positive Net Ratings for the game (ORTG - DRTG) were the bench guys.

Casspi ----> +16.4
    Lin -------> +07.7
    Garcia ----> +05.7

Everyone else had negative ratings (DRTG > ORTG).

What this means is that the starters didn't get it done, and the team as a whole was the most productive when the bench guys were on the floor against the Clippers.

11. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

They did struggle, but spoelstra was making adjustments. You could see it game after game.

Meanwhile, mchail seems to be so stubborn has he made adjustments to his twin tower set yet? Or his failed attempt at an 8 man rotation?

Great coaches make great adjustments in game and after games.

Our in game adjustments have been horrible. Not even horrible, it's laughable.

12. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Thanks for the input paul.

Just wow, our 3 man bench nets a positive.

Makes me wonder what if Lin was given the green light to run a real bench team with donuts and smith maybe.

1 person likes this.
  13. joe101

joe101 Member

Over reacting a bit over a meme! The guy is just trying to be funny.

14. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Seriously dude!

15. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Lol.... i agree.

I was screaming at my television like crazy. Lol

The twin towers is a failed experiment because teams have already adjusted to it and made scouting reports. And since teams made adjustments, our coach should have made a change in the line up. It was so easy for him to bench lin in the name of fit and adjusting.

Why would he not change this failure of a lineup then?

Why not put dmo at the four? Or even smith? Just to take a look at how well or bad those line ups could work. Then why not bring an entire bench mob similar to sacramento's bench mob in 2002 i think of turkoglu, pollard, jackson, and two others? That team was fun to watch and should have been nba champs.

16. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

With all due respect, I don't need advanced stats to tell me that. I watched the game :).

But thanks for the confirmation :cool:.

1 person likes this.
  17. Oracle

Oracle Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2014.html

These stats appear to be a little more updated. I recommend that you go to the advanced category and by clicking each title, you can get the ranking of the players in each category.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

glacer921's weird and poorly done meme's remind me of that Brave Fox guy.. thank god he doesn't post anymore. Maybe glacier921 is him as another account.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I have no idea. I think at first McHale didn't feel any urgency to change the lineup because the team was 4-1 through 5 games. But with two losses in a row including an inexcusable one to the Lakers at home, I hope he's man enough to admit he made a strategic blunder and corrects it before they incur too many more unnecessary losses.

It's not like the Twin Towers is a work in progress and we just need to time to iron out the kinks. It's the same story every time out. The offensive spacing is horrible which causes the Rockets to struggle to reach double digits by the halfway point of the first quarter. Meanwhile, the opposing team has their way with us defensively because Howard is forced to guard 4s instead of remaining in the paint where he can block shots and rebound(and cover for defensive matadors like Harden).

It's really not that complicated. You start someone at the four who can hit outside shots. I say give Casspi a shot first, but certainly there are other options like D-Mo or Jones(or eventually trading Asik for someone else). I also think Lin needs to move into the starting lineup. I'd rather have him dominating the ball early than Harden. Let the game come to James. Then bring Asik and Bev off the bench to maintain solid D while Cisco and Brooks could be used for shooting and penetration respectively.

Regardless, it all starts with ending the Twin Towers experiment. It's starting to cost this team wins and pretty soon it'll cost McHale his job.

20. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

The stats I put up were for tonight's game, not for the season. The ones you linked to are for the season, I think. And, the stats you linked to don't include the Clippers game from tonight, I don't believe. But BBREF is great, for sure.