1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YES!!!] Astroworld returns to HOUSTON

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Cool. Will watch when it comes out.

2. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

That's good to see they are still going to do it. Chuck the owner or whatever he is which was our general manager when Astro world was open, contacted a few of us that stayed until the end last year about the plans for it. I had to see it to believe it.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Where have you been, Eve!?!?!? :eek: Welcome back, madam.

School and personal stuff. I know. :cool: Saludos

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lol

The workers at Astroworld came from all over the Metro area....I knew at least a dozen folks from the Pasadena/DP/Laporte/ClearLake area that worked at Astroworld. When I went to the after work beer parties behind the park with the employees, I met people from as far out as Kingwood, Friendswood and Santa Fe that drove 45+ minutes to go work there.

I dont think finding workers is going to be an issue...even if it is out in New Caney.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Will love to go but I get really bad motion sickness. Even on a swing I get dizzy.

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

grand parkway loop is gonna be great for them

7. Grinds

Grinds Member

Right, because Kemah is centrally located

Just laugh

The difference is those people came inbound.. now it's outbound.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because there is literally nothing out there. And driving that far to anything g is a pain in the ass. And do t compare Disney to this garbage they are building. Not to mention, plenty of other cities have their amusement parks right I. The city like Denver and San Jose, so do t just pick and chose what's convenient for you

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

double post

#49 Nick, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of the 6 flags are pretty far away from city centers.... especially the GOOD ones (Great America halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago).

Part of why Astroworld struggled was that they were restricted by how "big" they could make the park... and there was a major parking situation if they had even tried to expand to the size of what the other 6 flags parks were at the time.

Astroworld, even in its hey-day, was pretty crappy compared to the other 6 flags parks.

11. Grinds

Grinds Member

Maybe the bolded is just ignorance because you haven't been out there in a while. If not, it's just another classic case of overstatement for argument purposes. The area has everything any other suburb has. Newer homes, businesses, it borders Kingwood, and there's a major beltway about to go through it.

Don't mention DEN's rinky dink POS park. The might literally have 4 or 5 big rides... maybe. So small you drive past it in 10 seconds. It looks like a kiddie park. San Jose isn't the principle city in the Bay Area (although it's the most populous city). People from SF and OAK have to drive 20+ miles to get there.

12. AXG

AXG Member

It's not that far. Practically anywhere in Houston is the same distance for me.

13. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Yea all that and working 2 jobs :eek: I lurk still just don't post like I used to.

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

my aunt who was a teacher used to work at astroworld in the summer, she lived in la porte..

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I said it before in the Earthquest thread, and I'll say it again:

nothing spells Family Fun like East Montgomery County.

even Lasso, the official Grand Texas Theme Park mascot, thinks so!

[​IMG]

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

It is to me. You must be close to New Caney or have some obsession with it since you seem to be vigorously defending that location.

Like I said, if that park is going to have "several" coasters, it won't be worth the time and the money for a lot of people to drive out there. It needs to have dozens of real roller coasters...not baby rides.

17. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

You do realize that not everyone lives in downtown Houston?
    Go back and read my post. I said that I would rather go to Kemah or Galveston if this new place has the same amount of roller coasters. You can go where ever you want, especially if the new place is closer to you.
    For me, the new place would be a 55 mile drive.
    If it has a lot of good rides I would gladly go.

#57 aeroman10, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If you think they won't be able to find workers, that's extremely short sighted. Uhh...places like Conroe, The Woodlands, New Caney, Kingwood, Spring, etc. will have plenty of workers to supply.

Also, I don't see the big deal in complaining about 31 miles, or whatever it is. That's just far enough away, in my opinion. Granted, I grew up on the northwest side of town, about 35 miles outside of town. It sounds like they needed nature for what they're doing, though. When this thing is built, if its worth it, nobody will be complaining about the distance.

If and when, though.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know if the scale of the project has appreciated considerably..but there was discussion about this park in the Earthquest Adventures thread, and what I learned of it there was anything but impressive. In fact, it seemed a stretch to call it a theme park from what I read then.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep. I distinctly remember the CEO saying that they wanted people to consider this park instead of going to the movies or a bowling alley. Not somethingI usually debate between.

To want to draw that many visitors and make those kind of comparisons is troubling.

I live about three hours from Cedar Point, and I in no way would debate between going there or to a movie theater.