1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Well there idiots.Machado is a scrub and Toney is a chucker.

2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I thought I allready did. Harden and Howard combo can bring a title. Any idiot can see that.

3. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Nothing to be ashamed of. Think Manu and Harden.

This arrangement is not a reflection of his capability, but rather his playing style. He is still a solid PG. On another team he could be starting, but Rockets need him to lead the 2nd unit. As a Lin fan, I see this is a good thing for both the team and JLin himself. Sixth man's role can still land you big contract, which means huge recognition. Again, think Manu and Harden.

4. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Can and will are two completely different things. So you're saying maybe? lol. Take a stand don't be a coward.

Let me show you how it's done. NO the combination of Harden and Mchale aren't good enough to win a championship.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

Many Lin fans have wanted him to be the 6th man for a long time, so long as his minutes don't drastically decrease. Personally, the only reason that I didn't want to see this move was because I didn't want to see the deluge of ABLers gleefully snorting orgasmically as their dream of getting petty revenge on Lin's fans FINALLY came to fruition after their failed attempts to life the likes of Machado, Douglas, and Brooks above Lin.

My main concern is that is there any team in the league that can afford to have an $8 million sixth man? As well as Lin plays, if Beverley turns out to be at least an acceptable option, then Lin becomes expendable, especially with Parsons' payday on the horizon.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AND DWIGHT HOWARD

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

I never said that they were the smartest bunch. They're the ones who derided Linsanity as lacking in substantive sample size while claiming that Beverley's limited exposure to 2nd stringers as well as his Russia experience made him NBA ready.

But they do exist. I agree that they're idiots.

8. dduong5

dduong5 Member

As both a Rockets and Lin fan, I'm not against this move. I am actually looking forward to seeing Lin play his game as the "point guard" and orchestrate the 2nd unit even if it means playing less minutes. We'll get to see more of what he did in New York as an attacking point guard while making his team mates better.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Don't tell me Lin you put Lin in the same league as Harden interms of being difference maker?. loool It seems you are assuming(absurdly nonetheless) that a Harden/Combo cant successed with Lin?.

For you'r question, like Morey I believe it can deliver a title despite you wishing otherwise.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Our main concerns is whether he'll actually get to run the 2nd unit. If he does and his minutes aren't affected too much, this will be a net positive for everyone involved. Sure, Lin won't get to be introduced at the beginning of games, but big deal.

My main worry is if this is just a way to phase him out of the team. But in the short term, I expect him to do wonders if the likes of Casspi and Garcia. Those are some easy assists to rack up.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when the guy doesn't realize we have Dwight Howard on the team, you realize he's not a fan of the team.

12. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

1. All I said was Lin was not the second best player on this team. That is an inarguable fact.

2. You can look at my past posts, I have been in favor of Lin as a 6th man because I think he can thrive in that roll.

3. A Hall of Fame player and our current coach believes Beverley matches with the starting lineup that is currently constructed.

Things can change but foolish posts that proclaim Lin as an all-star and a future hall of famer need to be called out. He is a decent complimentary player who just got beat out by Patrick Beverley to start. Just leave fandom out of discussing "whats best" for the team.

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You got any hard evidence to prove that?. you wanting us to fail and evidence are two different things.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You see, some of these 'Lin fans' (I call them that because I feel like a lot of them are trolls...) don't want that. They think Lin should be the franchise player.

That's why they continue to bash Harden when they can because they likely are just upset that this was going to be Lin's team and then Harden comes here and all that changes.

So now they are hoping Lin goes to another team. That is what they want. I think they rather Lin be the best player on a crappy team then playing a major role on a potential championship team...even though the latter is much better for his brand.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is clearly wishing we fail.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Bev is the new whipping boy. Melo, McHale, Harden and now Bev is the antichrist.

17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Gota give props to Lin, after having a solid 82 season game, a guys showed up in PO and got a lot of credit and took over his starting jobs regardless of how well he improved in the preseason, him being able to remain optimistic shows that he is a real class act. Role model wise the Rockets should be proud of having such player.

18. zdrav

zdrav Member

You're right. Statistically, he was the 3rd best player on the team according to Morey. So yes, he had a lot to do with the Rockets unexpectedly overachieving last year. Nobody can deny this.

19. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Doubt it is meant to phase him out of the team. Beverley is just too damn incompetent as a playmaker to lead the second unit. Bench unit actually gave up the lead against the Pelicans bench when he was the primary playmaker :rolleyes:

They have to keep Lin around as backup in case Harden gets the odd injury here and there. Or else the team is stuck with Brooks and Beverley leading the point... while Brooks is decent, I don't want either of them being playmaking for the Rockets. Lin is the de facto second best playmaker in the team.

20. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I do think Lin is being a little disrespected here. He's not an elite point guard, but I think we all agree that he's about an average starting PG. He started all 82 games last year, and the team exceeded all expectations. Obviously this was not all because of Lin, and quite frankly much of it was because of Harden. But I still think he deserves to at least have a chance as the starter and see how it goes. And it's not like he sucked in the preseason. He played very well,and it's clear that he improved over the summer. And considering he played very solid over the latter half of last season, I don't think it's really fair to him to have him come off the bench in the first game of the season. After all, wasn't it his job to lose? Just my opinion though

Anyways, it seems like he's in these situations every year, and this situation is much better than he has had before. He'll be fine. And I am hopeful that him being 6th man will bring a spark off the bench and will make the team more effective.