1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

both Asik and Lin will be gone either next season or after their contract expires. Asik already stated his displeasure of playing second fiddle to Howard. As for Lin, he's obviously going to look for a starting job.

1 person likes this.
  2. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

No? :confused:

3. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Do you think Mchale and Harden win you a championship in the next 3 years?

4. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I am concern about this line up's transitional D, with the Twin Tower who wont be able to get back on D as fast and Beverley who likes to crash the board for rebounds, this leave transitional D weak, might set up more fouls for Harden and Parson. I think Beverley might need to tone down his rebound mentality for this to work

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

Since NBA teams are owned by millionaires and billionaires, I'm going to assume it's the $8 million cap hit that's the primary concern, as opposed to the $15 million salary.

Nobody can doubt any more that Lin is a legitimate NBA player, somewhere in the average to above-average in PG quality. Given the extreme talent at that position, that's not a bad position to be in at all, especially since he wasn't even considered D-League material 2 years ago.

Lin's problem is that no matter how well he plays, he's kind of a luxury on this team because of Harden. I suppose if Lin elevated his play to CP3 level, then he'd be more integral, but nobody else in the NBA other than CP3 himself is on that level so that's impossible to ask of him.

There's only 1 ball and there are only 48 minutes in a game. With Howard, Harden, and Parsons, you've got enough of an offense that you don't necessarily need a scoring PG. That's why it always makes me laugh when people want Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge on this team because they'd just be reduced to role players unless the Rockets somehow found a way to increase the length of games to 60 minutes.

The Rockets' big problem is that their payroll looks phenomenal now, but soon, players like Parsons will want to get paid. Something has to give. And Beverley is a great deal now, but if he starts wanting serious money, he'll probably have to be shipped out too. Maybe even Parsons will be sacrificed if they can get an established superstar to complete the Big 3.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Whoop you guys again? lool you are showing you'r true character.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Will you follow him as well?

8. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

In saying everything I've just said I haven't even broached the Howard/Asik combination. What a joke. Guarantee you that doesn't last 15 games when teams are running all over you guys.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I assume so. The minutes between lin and bev have been pretty even in the preseason it's just bev started instead. There's so many good lineups this team can do it's ridiculous

10. itstheyear3030

As certain posters here are so fond of reiterating, many people follow Lin because of his story or his image; not because they are basketball fans. While Lin coming off the bench may not have much practical effect and may even be a positive development for the Rockets, his loss of a starting job has a symbolic meaning that some people may prioritize over "basketball reasons." Not saying this is good or bad, but that's the way it is and the ignore function is there for just that purpose.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I rather chance my arm with Harden then with Lin.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I love this. :grin:

Whatever other people call him, I will only refer to him as "The Hibachi" from here on out. Can't wait for tipoff!!

:cool:

13. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

You can't answer simple basketball questions on a basketball forum?

I'm a fan of another team, so what?

14. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Answer the question or button your lip.

15. iku

iku Member

How could you possibly say he wasn't one of the key reasons we made it into the playoffs last season? You think if had Patrick Beverley in the starting line up, we could make it into the playoffs?

I just hope this whole thing doesn't backfire, and still ends up being Jeremy's (6th man) fault. This guy takes too much crap from Rocket fans, I kinda feel bad for him.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

We've had people here honestly claim that players like Scott Machado and Toney Douglas should be starting over Jeremy Lin. One poster even claimed that he could probably take Lin one-on-one. For real.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Damn, I remember saying this would happen after the end of last season and some guy wanted to bet me some healthy amount. Shoulda took it...

18. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

What I think is that you guys should petition Clutch to make this forum private or to charge a membership fee so that the general public can't come in here and ruffle panties.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I see lin averaging 16 to 17 points off the bench this season. He will look great. Lin fans will be eating humble pie when he proves us right and plays excellent as a 6th man.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lin will be a important piece of the puzzle for THE TEAM. That's what matters most. Lin is still growing as well. Asik is a number one or two option on a team is not a team contending for a championship whether he likes that or not it's the truth.