1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

Using that logic, all of Lin's critics wanted the Rockets to fail last season because even though they were playing well with Lin as the starting PG, they kept insisting otherwise.

2. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

And what makes you think Kevin Mchale is a smart enough coach to do so?

Do you want me to post his career coaching record? Never mind I will 118-124

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

He better produce something. No more excuses for him at this point. One night he's injured, then he's fatigued, then its James Harden holding him back, then its McHale's fault. The time is now to prove himself

4. itstheyear3030

You're probably on to something.

I agree that Lin has played well in the preseason, but is it worth $15 million? I simply think that from Lin's perspective, getting traded before his contract expires is the safest route as far as staying in the NBA. I mean, even after Linsanity, he only managed to secure one offer. Additionally, given the depth around the league at the PG position, free agency is just too risky. Thus, I think Lin proving he's worthy of the $15 million and getting traded within the next 2 years is in his best interest.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Without Lin we are nothing but lottery bound. I mean the lack of vision here is crazy. Don't the lin fans want to see lin dominate the ball with more usage? well you now will get you'r wish. There is no pleasing some people.

6. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

We're going to see aren't we?

7. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

If you honestly believe Jeremy Lin is the second best player on this team, please deactivate your account.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

LOFs are mad!

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

LOFs acting like benching Lin is like benching Jordan or something. There are far better players around the league than Lin that are also coming of the bench. I get it, LOFs and most people in general like to root for the underdog and like a good Cinderella story, but my God its not the end of the world that Lin is coming off the bench. I have not been the biggest McHale fan over his tenure here but this was the right basketball move by him and this is actually the best way Lin can have the most success and help the Rox by coming off the bench with second unit. Most LOFs are more butt hurt than Lin himself by this move I'm willing to bet.

10. tefunk

tefunk Member

Pat is on 790. He hates Patrick. Likes to be called Pat.

11. uncarved

uncarved Member

The move makes sense. With a set 1 and 2 option offensively in Harden and Howard, the priority becomes filling the rest of the starting lineup with defense and floor spacing in order to maximize production (also the reason why I've been against trading team depth for a 3rd star as there are only so many offensive touches to go around).

While I think with Lin's improvements, you could start Lin and distribute the minutes the same way over the course of the game with the exact same effect, I'm not broken up about it from a basketball perspective. Even coming off the bench he's going to get plenty of minutes with all the starters in various combinations and I think he'll excel as OKC Harden-/Manu-lite.

What's going to bug me about this move as a fan of Lin, is that I feel like this is just going to increase the number of trolls (if that's even possible at this point). I think it's great that fans can gather on forums to share in their enjoyment of a team and to play armchair coach/GM, but filtering out the posters who are only looking to get a reaction gets to be tiring after a while.

I think Lin's a starting-caliber PG, and I think he'll run the second unit effectively. As the 6th man, I predict he'll produce more total points/slightly fewer assists in fewer minutes than last season, something like 14.5/5.5 in 28 minutes per game (18.6/7 per 36).

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Do you want me to post context? Never mind I will.

Coaching record with the Rockets: 79-69.

1 person likes this.
  13. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

its quite common for people to have nicknames derived from the city they're from and the team they root for.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This move has been a long time coming. It's clear that McHale prefers Bev's game. I'm sure he doesn't have anything against Lin, mind you. But why create the media firestorm too early by announcing long ago what seemed so clear?

Lin will thrive off the bench but let's not be too cute. If Morey thinks he'll lose a player for nothing, or if he'd rather be paying that money to someone else, he'll trade that player quicker than you can say "Landry". Or "Brooks." Or "P-pat". Or....hell, I'd get carpal tunnel if I listed them all here.

Jeremy Lin? I like how he seemed to work on his game, even if the wheels upstairs sometimes go clack-clack-clack too much (overthinking things). I still think he's a goner if the right offer comes along, but that team would need deep pockets (NY, Brooklyn, Lakers, Bulls) to accommodate the 2014 / 2015 balloon payment.

Ditto Asik, whose D makes us so formidable but, alas, I think he'd bolt for a team that wasn't trying for a square-peg round-hole thing.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

True. Phil Jackson would have led the teams McHale coached to at least a 200-42 record and at the very least 1 ring.

We all know in basketball good coaching trumps having the best players all day every day.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who is this pat you speak of?

17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Would still like to see the Dwight + Lin PNR 'Deadly Combo', would he still get playing time with dwight?

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lins so called critics are non-exsistent. Those guys don't hate Jeremy at all, it's his lunatic and narrow minded fans who bash the Rockets, Harden, Bev or anyone the deem a threat to Lin supposed superstar status. We like Jermey as a person(classy individual and a great teammate) so that's never been the issue.It's Rockets only fans v LOF's.

19. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

It is just logical. In 2 years or even earlier, Parson will demand easily $8M for his service. Where is the money going to come from if Houston wants to stay under the cap? Lin or Asik or both if they want to retain Bev too. Bev is a great pg and you need at least $4-6M to retain him. So where will the $$$ come from? From trading Lin and Asik and both of them are considered expandable by Houston's recent moves. Lakers in 2 years will be a wasteland of talents; Kobe too old, Nash gone, Gasol too old and slow. They will be in rebuild mode with many young or journeyman type of players and they need a young, proven pg to make them competitive. They know what Lin can do during Linsanity and now Lin is even more mature as a player. Lakers also will love to embrace more Asian fan base with Lin. Kobe is a huge star in China. When Kobe retires, Lin can fill that shoe if Linsanity comes back again there. It makes sense for Lakers to covet Lin's service basketball-wise and business-wise.

20. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Find and post where I said that?

I'm just pointing out the clear flaw in the thinking the coaching staff has been displaying since Harden was acquired.

You think Harden doing most of the facilitating and having the ball in his hands late in games is going to win you guys a championship?

Take notes on how to run a team when Indiana plays you guys and George shuts Harden down and they whoop you twice again.