1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. joe101

joe101 Member

There's a remote chance for that to happen, if Bev without a doubt proves to be the better fit. In Blake you have a vet backup who's proven capable of making the 3's. Both Blake and Hill are two expiring contracts so financially it's not a bad deal. D'antoni will do the deal in a heartbeat.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not certain McHale knows. LOL. I'm on board with whatever works best overall, whether it's Jeremy starting, Bev starting, or rotating depending on the match-up. If Dwight would 99.9% buy into the P&R so that we could eliminate (or at least vastly mitigate) the entry passing issue, I'd feel much better about where we are. I wonder how long McHale plans to give them to work out those kinks before scaling back on Dwight living in the post.

3. trock

trock Member

Yeah, I hope Dwight doesn't get too insistent on getting it in the post ALL the time, but I do have to say that's the element we've been missing that can make life a lot easier for the offense. He can be effective in there, but the bigger issue is that he can't take advantage of all the FTs he's going to get playing in the post. It's going to drive me nuts all season.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Aaron brooks is a vet backup who can make 3s. I really think the only way we are moving Lin before NEXT seasons deadline is in a package for a star. We need his salary for matching purposes and regardless if Bev fits better as a starter Lin still has great value for us as a super sub 6th man of the year type guy.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

howbout achieve both?

have bev lock down opposing pg and get him to a rough start
    and have harden or parsons get into the lane, collapse the D, and get the ball to the bigs through tiny opening for easy dunks

6. trock

trock Member

This whole Lin v. Bev thing is stupid in the sense that it's really more of a Lin v. Harden (not personal, but positional) thing. I agree with McHale that he has two starting PGs--Lin and Harden. The only reason Lin or Bev as starter is a question is because of Harden's role in the starting lineup. If, God forbid, Harden and Lin were out at the same time for any period of time, the offense would noticeably suffer.

7. KlutchQT

Totally agree. This is why I don't understand how/why so many people take the debate as a slight to Jeremy, who is unquestionably the superior offensive player. I don't think that has ever been disputed. But he is a ball-dominant guard, and I think a lot of his potential is squandered when forced to share with Harden, who is equally ball-dominant. That's also why I question the sincerity of the small Melo-to-Houston contingent... like, do you actually want to see guys physically fighting over the ball or what? LOL.

Even Jeremy and Beverley have acknowledged that each of them is weak(er) where the other is strong, and that Bev needs to improve his offensive game while Jeremy improves his defense. The good thing about their differing skill sets is that you can play them together for nearly infinite stretches, and they don't get in each others' way. I think TTNN's analysis showed a distinct uptick in Jeremy's offensive performance when Bev is on the floor.

I like them playing together and McHale seems to favor it too... hopefully it continues to work so that they can both get heavy minutes and put a lot of the bickering here to rest. Arguing over who starts begins to sound really silly when it seems likely that they'll be in the game together a third of the way through the first quarter anyway.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

there should be no doubt for all true rockets fans that

Harden is the number 1 option
    and D12 is the number 2 option

other starters should complement them and not other way around

if Jeremy can be a good spot up shooter, be lock-down defender, and limit his TO's then he would have cemented the starting position already

9. trock

trock Member

I'll tell you why (while acknowledging there is an irrational Lin fanatic segment here)--I will defend Lin as a starter because, quite frankly, I think he's the better overall player at this point and I think he's earned his spot starting 82 games last season, working hard on his game, and doing what's been asked of him without complaint. I would think it was his to lose and I haven't seen anything to say Bev won the starting job. IMO, it's up to the coaches to work out how to use their best players together.

I can see why some fans might take the push to put Lin on the bench as a slight. I mean, these are some of the same posters that wanted to start Toney Douglas. Seriously. There definitely is a segment of this board, for whatever reason, is as disingenuous about their take on Lin as a basketball player as the so called LOFs.

10. trock

trock Member

That being said, I will also say that both Lin and Bev are young and there is plenty for them to each work on and plenty of time to reach their peak. It's not the end of the world for either player to come off the bench.

11. KlutchQT

That's fair, and I totally respect your candor. I don't want to get into a debate about what is or could be best for the team -- but I will admit that it's easier to entertain various scenarios when they don't directly impact your favorite player. Lucky for me, I always end up drawn to guys on the bench for whatever reason... nowhere for my 2 favorites (Beverley and Garcia) to go but "up," really. LOL.

However it shakes out, I think we're really lucky to have two guys who are at least capable of starting without compromising the overall quality of team performance. I personally hate the idea of either one of them going elsewhere in the league and boosting some other roster.

12. Orange1

Orange1 Member

1. By your definition, you should be a true Lakers fan or a true Thunders fan instead. Dwight and Harden disagreed with your opinion and decided to move to Rockets instead.

2. By your definition, you personal opinion represents all true Rockets fans.

3. By your definition. Could Morey, Les or Mchale make any slight change of the priority you wrote at all?

Go Rockets.

13. KlutchQT

I'm pretty sure he means they should be your #1 and #2 options if they are both on your team. Also pretty sure Dwight and Harden agree, as they have both repeatedly stated that they understand that they're expected to be the leaders of the team and that our championship aspirations largely rise and fall on what they are (and are not) able to accomplish.

I think most Rockets fans would agree that Harden and Dwight are our #1 and #2 guys -- I can't imagine how you could argue that they aren't, honestly.

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Nice one. In a way, it's a choice between Lin distributing to the various scorers or Harden ISO. TTNN's post is also quite relevant in this regard.

15. trock

trock Member

Beverley and Garcia are up there for me as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the argument to start Bev is a legit argument. I may even agree with it later in the season if things are proven to be clearer.

16. Orange1

Orange1 Member

Harden came here because he thought he should not be the sixth man. He could lead a team. By V' definition, a true Thunders fan would want him to be the sixth man because then he was neither No 1 nor No 2 options. Th same logic applied to Dwight. That is the points I tried to make here.

These players all came here to win a final trophy. They knew they had to sacrifice somewhat to achieve the goal. A true Rockets fan will not dictate which player to shoot the final shot as long as the it is for the good of the Rockets. Players, coaches, manegement, fans should have the same understanding.

Go Rockets.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What a horrible trade for the Rockets.

Are you a Rockets fan?

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Why don't you go further and say it's a choice between Lin distributing to various scorers or McHale is Racist?

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That isn't even remotely close to what our "choice" is. I swear some of you Lin fans live in your own little world where the truth means nothing.

20. KlutchQT

I'm not sure where some of you keep getting the idea that Harden left OKC because he didn't want to be 6th man. To my knowledge, there has never even been a suggestion that he was dissatisfied with his role on the team. He left because he wanted a max contract -- something they couldn't give him while retaining all of their key pieces at the time. I don't think for a second that he would have left if they hadn't asked him to take less money.

What vlaurelio posted is true on every team. For OKC, Durant and Westbrook were and still are their #1 and #2 guys, and everything else is built around them -- including Harden, when he was there. It just it what it is.

I don't think it's a matter of saying nobody but Harden or Dwight can take the final shot... but the reality is that they are the best players on the team, and thus, the guys the front office is building around. If the question becomes making adjustments to role players, versus making significant adjustments to one of those two, the former will happen, more likely than not.