1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to be the sixth man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iam, Oct 9, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I will bet you anything you want(sig, tipjar, self-impose ban) that this will not happen. That if McHale makes Beverley the starter, and Lin's not injured or otherwise prevented from playing, he will play more than 20mpg coming off the bench.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Right, even if Lin plays off the bench he will still play upwards of 30 minutes; and inside those 30 minutes he will be allowed to showcase his skills as a pure point guard much more than if he were to start. All we need in the starting unit at the point is a role player; in the second unit we will need an all-around player who can be "the man". If Lin comes off the bench his shot attempts will go up, and for 18 minutes or so a game we may have the joy of watching Linsanity part II.

3. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

seems everyone think a max contract 6th man is ridiculous, yet no one see the ridiculous of a 8 million contract as a substitute coming off bench for a 800k contract,fine. I hope Michale is truthful that he will do what he said to get the best of the team especially the 4th quarter clutch time leave the best players on court thing, and the take the ball out of harden's hand to have fluid team offense thing. if those ISO ego ball ugly static offense happens again and again then we have a problem, either the player, or the coaching staff need a change, as the window for champion is as wide as Dwright's contract, the team have no luxury of time.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Of course the downside of this is that the starting unit would require Harden to run the show...and in which case there would be a lot less ball movement, not as much PnR, and a whole lot of one-on-one offense...much like at the end of the regular season last year with all the ISOs. Harden would be expected to everything; he would have his fingerprints on every single play. The coaching staff would have also to ditch their offensive gameplan of keeping Harden "off ball" to preserve him for the long haul, and for defensive purposes, and just put the ball in Harden hands and say "it's your game to win or lose" much the way the Rox did with TMac a few years ago.

5. nchan

nchan Member

Us Lin fans should love the idea of Lin being the sixth man. He can run the offense and take shots. With Harden and Howard, he is limited.

6. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Who was the coach when Lin was cut from the team the first go around? Sorry I'm not a Rox fan.

7. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

You KNOW what!?
    I'm sorry guys, I take my disapproval of Lin coming off the bench idea back.
    I actually liked what I saw, if the starting pg is gonna stand in a corner then it's better be PB, Grigori actually opened my mind up , lol

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Contract money makes no difference.

Manu Ginobili has come off the bench while the Spurs started Keith Bogans. Jason Terry came off the bench while the Mavs started DeShawn Stevenson and Antoine Wright. Plenty of good players have played Sixth Man while the starter is much lower paid and less accomplished than they are.

And Beverley is certainly much more talented than Antoine Wright and Keith Bogans. He can help the team just like other minimum wage Rockets have help the team: Chandler Parsons, Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Chase Budinger. Salary and experience just don't matter.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Grigori is an idiot. unless he is being sarcastic. Our offense looked terrible? that first quarter our offense looked elite. We had a 25-8 over the team that pushed the heat all the way.We won by 20. How much fabrications can one guy make?. Grigori is clearly blind or just beyond help.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think one point LOF's and regular fans (just because we're not LOF's doesn't mean we hate him) is that Lin needs a higher usage rate to be optimally effective. If he can achieve that usage rate by staggering his minutes with Harden as the 6th man, then why not give it a shot? It just makes too much sense not to try.

You can make an argument that the 6th man on a team is the third most important offensive force on the roster, and this usually has worked out to be the case if you look at Herrerra's examples. Another one I always point to is the 2nd Jordan Bulls regime. Ron Harper was basically a borderline all-star on the Clippers, and he took on that 6th man role with Bulls simply because he wanted to win. With him in the fold, the Bulls basically had 48 minutes of dominating wing play both on offense and defense. It just never let up, and the results speak for themselves.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Tell me with a straight face,who is more important to the success of the team? lin or harden?. In OKC they had two ball dominante stasrters in Durant and Westbrook and naturaly a ball dominante Harden came off the bench. Here in Houston he is our best player and go-to-guy.

12. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Ron Harper was actually a starter on the Bulls. It's part of the reason why people say Phil Jackson likes to experiment with bigger guards, since he doesn't need a true PG. Their 6th man was Toni Kukoc, after they acquired Rodman.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The first quarter??? Ugly as hell to watch if you're a basketball purist yet highly effective. Great one-on-one individual style offense, not much passing, ball, or body movement; any number of highlight-reel plays. Isn't it great to have 2 superstars on your team and five guys in the starting lineup who can take turns taking their man one-on-one?

14. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Guards that have been 6th men in the past, besides Manu, that helped carry the scoring load because there were other ball dominant players in the starting lineup include: JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, Leandro Barbosa,Bobby Jackson, Eric Bledsoe, and Devin Harris (who eventually become a starter on the Mavs and then an All-star in 2009 with the Nets). Aaron Mckie is another one that comes to mind that was on the 76ers team that played the Lakers in the finals.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

To clarify, I don't mean they all literally won the 6th men award, but they were guards that were huge impacts off the bench for their teams.

16. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Seems a bit defensive. And that's my opinion.

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The level you people stoop to propup lin is mind blowing. It's frankly pathetic.

18. dianelo

dianelo Member

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

WTF MAN!!!

Get that garbage outta here!

The ONLY lineup that matters is the one that gives us the BEST chance to win

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

WTF yourself. lol over reacting at a decent fair article.