1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Optimal Roster Utilisation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by three, Oct 10, 2013.

1. three

three Member

This is my opinion on the best rotation and allotment of minutes based on observations from last year and this preseason. I'm only looking at our 6 best players (Dwight, Harden, Asik, Lin, Parsons, Beverley) and leaving out the pf position as that is still a question mark. traditional = dmo & tjones, small = parsons & casspi, big = asik & smith & camby.

- Lin performs best when he has the ball and is running the offense (see all the games when Harden did not play last year)
    - I think Harden looks to score more whereas Lin looks to create for others. Lin should play most of his minutes with the 2nd unit as they cannot create for themselves. The problem is that Lin should also play most of his minutes with Dwight as I think Dwight is at his best working with a creative point guard that looks for him.
    - either Harden or Lin should be in the game at all times for offense
    - either Dwight or Asik should be in the game at all times for defense

1st & 3rd quarter
    pg: Lin (5min), Bev (7min)
    sg: Harden (9min), Lin (3min)
    sf: Parsons (9min), Garcia? (3min)
    pf: Asik? (4min)
    c: Dwight (9min), Asik (3min)

2nd & 4th quarter
    pg: Bev (7min), Lin (5min)
    sg: Lin (3min), Harden (9min)
    sf: Garcia? (3min), Parsons (9min)
    pf: Asik? (4min)
    c: Asik (3min), Dwight (9min)

Total
    Lin (32min)
    Beverley (28min)
    Harden (36min)
    Parsons (36min)
    Dwight (36min)
    Asik (12-28min)(will depend on if he can play with Dwight for 4min a quarter)

Rather than arguing over who should start at point guard, the real question is who should be finishing games?

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Some interesting points. Yes, both Dwight AND the second unit need JLin for his playmaking ability; meanwhile Harden doesn't need JLin at all. Harden seeks a point guard who will stay out of his way and hit open threes.

I like JLin in the second unit to accommodate guys like DMo and Casspi and Asik...until I see how Dwight is handled in Lin's absence...all Bev does is just lob the ball into the post. TJones doesn't facilitate Dwight either. It's a catch 22. I think as the season goes along McHale will use any number of different lineups depending on matchups. If Bev starts then Harden will lead the league and scoring and outside of the occasional Harden PnR the only touches Howard will get will be passes into the post; unfortunately Dwight is not Hakeem (today he was 4 of 11 from the floor, hardly supermanish)...

3. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

seriously though, how many post do we need about this? theres already 6 threads about this right now.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think it is hard to find out who will finish games.

Find out who is clutch and who has a knack of hitting big shots, who developed into a closer in the new season. Pair them up with Dwight, Asik and Garcia.

Rotate between Bev and Lin (Splitting minutes) because I believe Lin can be closer if trusted. See NY

Some games it will be Bev some games it will be Lin (good for back to backs)

But give Bev enough opportunities because he is a defensive ball hawk.

5. allaroundplayer

My best guess right now, though it might change, is that for the first game the starters will be:

1 bev
    2 harden
    3 parsons
    4 howard
    5 asik

It seems some people are putting Asik at the 4 if he starts, but I think if he starts Howard will be the 4.

Benching Lin will be detrimental to Howard's productivity, but the opposing bigs will spend a lot of energy checking Asik off the boards. That will make them tired and create easier shots for Howard theoretically.

If that lineup doesn't work, something else they may try, to take advantage of Howard, still under the premise that starting Beverley is best for the team even if it is not the best thing for Howard, is start Donatas but instead of playing him as a stretch 4, play him on one block & Howard on the other block. I think that could be an effective offense & aid Howard at the same time.

6. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

seriously though, what else u wanna talk about? Dwright's hair cut?

7. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

8. three

three Member

Yes, if Dwight wasn't on the team, I think it would be best for Lin to come off the bench.
    The no. 1 option should be to get Dwight as many shots at the rim as possible. I have my doubts that will happen without Lin or another pass first/playmaking point guard.