1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe says T-Mac is the toughest guy he has ever played against

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cuddie

cuddie Member

Yep, couldn't even suit up to get swept by McGrady's majestic run to the finals. ;)

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

If this was Star Wars then McGrady's midi-chlorian count would be like Aniken. He had it all but was missing the drive guys like Kobe and Jordan used. Just as talented as anyone however.

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I think he means toughest as in most difficult to guard. YMCA before his injuries was as unstoppable as they came. I would even place him on the same level of Kobe/Lebronif he had stayed healthy. The only thing that would have stood between him and Jordan would have been heart. Because he definitely had the ability. He had Kobe's skill with Lebron's body. None of the others mentioned came close as scorers.

4. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Lol auto correct. TMac*

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I am sure it has dipped significantly after adding the SA playoff avg of probably like .8 points, but prior to this year his average was ranked 5th in terms of playoff scoring averages. It takes a team, Tin. If your point is to say Tmac wasn't as great as Jordan, I think we all agree. However, in his prime, it was arguable that he was the greatest next to Kobe. But in the playoffs he didn't disappear, his team did.

I'd have to go look back and double check, but didn't Yao and Tmac score like almost 60 of our like 77 points in that game 7 against the Mavs? We had a crappy old team, not much you can do against a more evenly talented team. I think that was the same year we were number 1 or 2 in terms of scoring duos (prior to the "Big 3" era). I think Melo/AI were number one and we were just below them.

I'm sure Kobe wasn't saying Tmac was the greatest, he was just the toughest he played against during his basketball years. Long, fast, quick, athletic, handles, shooting, clutch, high basketball IQ, and the unfair advantage of a lazy eye :p

6. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Real recognize real.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

TM's playoff numbers were among the best. Sure he is not a magician that can win a series by himself.

JVG was frustrated enough to quit. Adelman left too. Had we more success, Adelman would have coached longer because the owner would have been pleased. Well, blame Tracy again.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Considering his playoff stats are pretty damn good whoever guarding him had to worry. He didnt have twam success but some folks act like Mcgrady was trash in the playoffs

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't think he's going to acknowledge players that are the greatest threat to his legacy.

11. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

People always diss tmac on his playoff performance. but his team was the one that could pick up thier game, tmac usually played better in the playoffs

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well no, he didn't have Lebron's body. He was never even in the same stratosphere when it came to strength and mass. T-Mac was an optical illusion compared to Lebron, which is part of the reason he had so many injury problems.

Skill-wise though... I think you could even say purely from a skills perspective, he was better than Kobe. But didn't have the heart, and not as good on D.

13. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

When Tmac wanted to play D, he was a stopper

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it is a heart thing only, Kobe had more stamina, killer instinct, greater ego even more than diva Tmac

Tmac was more like a losing man's Magic Johnson while Kobe strived to be like a clone of Mike

15. the shark

the shark Member

I don't think anyone would claim that TMac wasn't talented. Big deal there's a lot of really talented players in the NBA.

Where TMac takes heat (and rightfully so) is that he flat out quit on the Rockets and he's NEVER made it out of the first rd of the playoffs. This wasn't just over a career that spanned a couple of yrs. Never with Toronto, Orlando or HTown.

Great players lead their team and (more importantly) make the players around them better. Nor do they QUIT on their team.

So to all of you TMac supporters, he was talented, but the one thing he can never claim is to be a WINNER!!!!! Winning a championship is one thing but hell he NEVER even lead a team out of the first rd of the playoffs.

He's said time and time again, "it's on me".
    DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He isn't even a top ten Rocket....

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I was just about to post something to this effect.

Watch LeBron read this tweet. "3rd ring? Nah, goal is to destroy Kobe."

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Rep for whoever posts the full Kobe interview

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/ShariqGagai">@ShariqGagai</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Real_T_Mac">@Real_T_Mac</a> Did you hear the comments kobe had to say about you?” Yep made sure I got my sleep night before I faced jellybean</p>&mdash; Tracy McGrady (@Real_T_Mac) <a href="https://twitter.com/Real_T_Mac/statuses/368466246926626816">August 16, 2013</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

McGrady's defense is what he was first known for in Toronto. It's the reason he got playing time