1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Return of LinSanity...Watch Out!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Good video . Im glad the young man is dedicated to improving his game. These youngstas are pushing for a championship. Ladies and gents its going to be an awesome year. So can we stop the bickering about Harden having the ball most of the time. Can we enjoy some good basketball without all the negative talk?

2. Penetrate&Creat

lmao hahaha. You realize he's clowning you right?

1 person likes this.
  3. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Harden, Wade, Jordan are/ were all elite SGs who used their strength to go through defenders. If every perimeter player were as strong and successful as they've been at slashing to the rim through contact, than they wouldn't be elite because it would be the norm.

As for getting injured on a "simple collision". If you've ever played competitive sport for any amount of time you'd realise that collisions inherently have a factor of unpredictability to them because we're dealing with a complex organism in motion. It's not as simple to quantify as a brick being thrown at a wall. Would you consider Westbrook weak because he tore his ACL after what seemed to be a pretty simple collision with Beverley? And Derrick Rose who tore his ACL with NO CONTACT whatsoever. Or Kevin Love who broke his hand doing push-ups.

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I think he was being sarcastic as well, lol. It's all good though. I also wouldn't categorize Lin as having elite athleticism in NBA standards. He's wicked quick though. That's for sure. And stronger than he looks to boot

5. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I was actually thinking the same thing when I read the tweet. I would totally love Lin to have D.Roses' jumping ability.

6. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I don't know why you guys keep comparing Lin with all these physically weak players. D-Rose got injured by jumping and then was so mentally fragile that he sat out the entire season and abandoned his teammates. Steph Curry breaks his ankles while doing the pre-game Hokey Pokey dance. Kobe Bryant tore his achilles tendon by dribbling.

Say what you will about Lin, but he at least had to run into someone in order to get hurt. Those other chumps just need to get into the weight room and bulk up so they can actually play a full season without getting injured.

7. Rox23

Rox23 Member

In this instance--no. DMo is pretty darn motivated, like above-and-beyond type motivated. They guy wants to succeed like few players do. He's getting huge this offseason. It'll be scary if he ever starts hitting those threes.

JLin has a reputation as a hard worker as well. Not all NBA players work out a ton; or are gym rats. Delfino hardly worked out at all.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Know I now why so many Rockets fans had disliked Kevin Martin so much: they were offended by how weak he was. I remember here on Clutchfans many a blogger who wanted Courtney Lee to start in Martin's place and now I realize that these are probably the very same people who now want Bev to start in Lin's place. It's not about the basketball, come to find out: it's about fear of weakness.

1 person likes this.
  9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Martin was a scorer but that was about it. He couldn't handel the ball, he didn't play defense and was a poor passer.

10. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I guess that' why the Timberwolves just signed him to a $30 million deal, and why OKC is lamenting his loss, wondering "who will we find good enough to replace Kevin Martin?" Courtney Lee is a decent enough player and a nice guy, but he is basically a journeyman. If the Thunder signed him as their six man it would be a downgrade (although maybe not in the eyes of Rockets fans, who, again, seem to despise Kevin Martin for reasons unknown just like they despise Lin for reasons unknown...but, is the reason unknown? fact of the matter I'm beginning to notice a pattern in regards certain "hated" Rocket players and which would seem to imply that Houston fans like their athletes too look like athletes, not accountants).

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is and will never be a cornerstone player. He fits a team with two cornerstones in Love and Rubio. He will thrive in a role designed for him as a scorer. Rubio will create a ton of good looks for him.Here he was asked to be a co-cornerstone player with Yao but that's not who he is with limited skillset.

12. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Actually, a lot of folks on CF have an over-inflated (and completely unwarranted) sense of superiority in their basketball knowledge. We are talking of folks who wouldn't crack the top 20,000 players in the world (heck, probably not even the top 200,000), but the freedom and anonymity of the internet allows these chaps to be all-world armchair basketball critics. Worse still, the unlimited real e-estate and lack of avenues to slap down these beyatches and knock some sense into them allows them to yell their opinions loud and unceasingly.

One must have the right mindset when coming in to read CFs. I am always prepared to read about 40% decent posts, 10% goldmine / gem type posts (where I really learn something new and interesting), 30% empty, useless talk, and 20% absolute rubbish-type posts. More importantly, one must, over time, hone in on which posters are worth reading, and which ones should just have their posts skimmed through or ignored. I have several posters (both 2012 / 2013-ers and none 2012 / 2013-ers) that are on my own personal must read list, several posters (2012 / 2013-ers, none 2012 / 2013ers and a 1999er or two) that I have on my "skim through their posts with glazed eyes and empty mind" list, and a couple of folks on my "read-to-confirm-that-there-are-people-in-the-world-way-stupider-than-me" list. Unfortunately, the folks from the last two lists are pretty loud and consistent in their appearances on CF :(

13. Reach

Reach Member

And you realize that I was being sarcastic?

This discussion is getting out of hand. My primary point was that Lin wasn't an elite athlete compared to others in the NBA and an example of that is he's lacking in strength relative to some of the best perimeter players despite Lin being quicker than them. And yes, I was implying that his chest tear last season could have been a sign of muscular weakness in that area -- which Lin himself no doubt knows and is likely working to remedy in his offseason workouts

But of course, expressing one's opinion about Lin is heresy around these parts, so I now have a large crowd of posters in the GARM who are very, very upset and will now proceed to accuse me of stupidity, bias, or worse while ignoring/distorting every substantive point I've made. Should have known though, I've been in the GARM long enough to know that this would happen. Life as a Rox fan, I guess.

14. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Your premise is stupid, even if in general you are not. Elite athletes get hurt all the time just playing, without colliding into other athletes, regardless of how strong or how much muscle mass they have.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin's strengths are that he has very quick acceleration and nice shooting posture. I am willing to give him a pass for now for his early season shooting woes. The guy was injured. That is understandable. His quick acceleration allows him to penetrate fairly easily and he does have some clever moves to get to the basket. The downsides are that his top speed isn't that high and he seems indecisive, though given how young he is, that is expected. What really holds him back however is the fact that Harden enjoys playing point and is a much deadlier PnR player due to being a MUCH better scorer that Lin's strengths become redundant when Harden is on the court. If Lin can comfortable expand his game and take over as point when Harden is resting, it can help keep away the lapses we have in our O.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ironic to see you write D Mo's "getting huge this offseason. It'll be scary if he ever starts hitting those threes" and "Know I now why so many Rockets fans had disliked Kevin Martin so much: they were offended by how weak he was" on the same page.

So . . . you feel encouraged by D Mo's new muscles at the same time that you ridicule other posters for fearing weakness.

You're "beginning to notice a pattern" in regards to CF and Kevin Martin? You kinda missed the boat on Kevin Martin being a Rocket. . . . A lot of posters noticed a lot of patterns when Kevin Martin was actually playing on the Rockets. Your post is probably not convincing to them.

1 person likes this.
  17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Wow. Nice video.

18. pademon

pademon Member

Having re-watch Lin's video during Linsanity and @rockets, I have a strong impression that Lin was shooting and passing with much more confidence at NY and he was kind of having a mental issue everytime when the ball came to his hands during his time with the Rockets. For example, I seem to notice that he shot his 3s much quicker and more accurately and I kind of expected the shot to go in during Linsanity whereas in Rockets games even when he took his time with his shots but I still kind of cross my fingers when he attempted his 3s.

I think the reason was that he was more of playing with his instinct during Linsanity which worked out better whereas he was kind of overthinking too much during last season.

Conclusion is that I think the skills are there for Lin and once he overcomes some mental issues he could really excel.

19. basketballholic

The reason is simple. In NY, they gave him the ball and told him to do his things. Lin is a very smart player. And he does have high skill level working off the pick-and-roll. He did his thing and he did it well...save for the turnovers.

In Houston, he was told to play off the ball and to fire up the spot-up shot. That was not his game in NY. He's currently making the adjustment this off season. I have no doubt he will rebound and become a 40% 3-pt shooter (or very close to 40%) this year. He works too hard and he's too intelligent not to make the adjustment. And I do hope that when Harden is on the bench that Lin is out there running the show from the top. He is very close to being as good as Harden when it comes to making a play off the pick when he's handling up top. Lin is a very, very good player and he's still on the rise.

Oh, first step??? He's got that in spades. He wouldn't trade his first step for DRose's or anybody else's for that matter. Lin has a great first step and acceleration.

In my opinion, while everyone is writing in Parsons as the third offensive option, I think unless Lin is traded he's going to be the third offensive option. Lin is, at worst, the 3rd best offensive player on this team.

Harden - 25
    Dwight - 21
    Lin - 16
    Parsons - 12

1 person likes this.
  20. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member