1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Return of LinSanity...Watch Out!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ChippedToothLin

for all we know this was filmed in a day... obviously from that last shot we know he had different outfits ready. #Liesanity

2. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Agreed, in the 2nd half he was a better player than Linsanity...better defense, smarter passing, better ballhandling, better distance shooting...2nd half Lin could easily put up 18/8 on 550+ TS% in the league as the primary ball handler...whether that would translate into a .500+ team record, or whether he would remain healthy is questionable, however.

3. Reach

Reach Member

Because he's Asian of course...or at least that's what you were trying to imply I was thinking, correct?

Lin is definitely big and strong for his position, but if we're talking about functional strength relative to other elite perimeter players he is rather weak.

For instance, when Harden drives to the hole, he doesn't rely solely on quickness to get to the rim and finish. Rather, he utilizes his strength to drive through defenders with the end product being a foul call or a layup. Lebron and Wade use their strength in this fashion as well, and if you ever watched Jordan in his prime, you'd have seen him seemingly brush off defenders on his way to the rim. Lin simply isn't capable of this -- he's just not strong enough. Not yet.

Another point as well: he really shouldn't be accumulating injuries from simple collisions such as this:

[​IMG]

That's kind of weak, and as a Lin fan I was disappointed.

4. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Huh? Looks to me like hip bone to chest. Hitting the wrong spot is bad luck, not weak or otherwise. Lin started the entire season. Lin got injured. It happens.

5. rokit

rokit Member

chill out dude, was just asking a simple question

6. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know we had a board certified orthopaedist on the GARM...tell me, did you analyze the footage and determine the exact forces produced by such a collision, taking in account several different factors including velocity, relative masses, and inertia, and then assess those resulting forces on the lin's specific musculoskeletal structure? Fact is that 14 players this season who average 30min/games played all 82 games this season...Lin was one of them.

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Not to mention the number of charges he drew and hard fouls on him...

8. bloop

bloop Member

Quit getting unnecessarily mad at people for disagreeing with you.

Here's something for you to get mad about. It's factually stupid to think that muscular strength, which you were talking about prevents injury in any way. What's weak is getting disappointed in a player for getting hurt. As if hitting the weight room harder would have prevented injury from a collision.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Strength can be developed, isn't he working on it, as shown in the the video.

10. imaginedragons

It's not just about strength, even in the examples above like Harden, Wade, etc, finishing strong to the hoop, it's a combination of balance and core stability.

Kind of twisting it to say that someone is "big and strong" in one sentence, then say he is functionally weak which is why he can't finish, then go on to say he is weak that is why he is unable to stop himself from getting injured in a freak collision. It's quite a "reach".

Lin should in fact work on his core. Improving strength there would lead to better balance and even better finishes at the rim. As it is, he has been quite successful finishing when he is able to blow by his man and even when he gets bumped, is probably better at being able to convert than many guards his size.

11. bloop

bloop Member

The entire post is stupid. I'm not trying to be insulting but it makes no sense at all. He's throwing a bunch of criticisms out there and then saying it's all because Lin is "weak." Weak meaning everything from physically weak to weak being lame & getting hurt all the time. I'm not going to get drawn into some ABJ/LOF b****fest but I happened to read the post and it makes no sense. Makes me wonder if people who post that kind of stuff played basketball.

@Knickskiller Lin put on around 15 pounds of muscle when he was in New York which probably helped mess up his knee. I know that because I read an article last year on his offseason training regimen after he came to Houston. Just for logic's sense you should shift your argument from "Lin isn't a hard worker" to "Lin is weak gets injured like Yao/China." I think you could actually make a case about Lin getting injured too often and thus stealing money from Houston by not delivering his contract days and so on. Arguing about Lin not working hard enough is as dumb an argument as arguing Lin isn't a team player. Let's clean this up a bit.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Okay so we're comparing Lin's strength to Harden/Lebron/Prime Jordan ??? and because he can't get to the rim in a like manner he's considered weak? Seriously.

yeah no. i dont think you understand elblows are argueably the most dangerous part of the body in terms of fighting, he took a shot to the chest and it hampered his ability to shoot, because you kinda need to be able to raise your shooting arm, to you know, SHOOT the ball.

13. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Did someone just argue that Lin shouldn't have gotten injured, and would have prevented his injury if he was just stronger?

People can argue the exact opposite - that it's exactly the forces Lin can generate in acceleration which caused his injury in the first place. If he were slower or less fit, he wouldn't have injured himself running full-speed into a stationary target because he would have been too slow to cause any damage to himself.

Listen, I know what you're trying to say, but you're going from sweeping generalizations about how muscle mass and strength prevent collision injuries into a specific case with a specific player. You haven't even proven Step A and you're already arguing for Step Q.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Comon guys. All he is saying is untill Lin becomes as good as Lebron James, Dwyane Wade and James Harden he is going to be weak. Pretty reasonable statement.

15. Reach

Reach Member

Why are you so mad? The entire premise of my post was to contest the notion that Lin is an "elite NBA athlete" just because he's extremely quick. Of course he's quick, but there are other aspects of athleticism, with strength being one of the0m. Are you angry because I don't believe Lin's strength is up to par with other elite perimeter players? Instead of calling me "stupid," it'd probably reflect better on you if you actually refuted me properly.

Also, it's not a "b****fest" until someone starts namecalling and getting emotional over matters of opinion.

16. Reach

Reach Member

Finally, an intelligent, reasonable poster comes along to summarize what I was trying to say all along. Good work, buddy.

17. Job713

Job713 Member

He will be if the Rockets win it all. I want the Rockets to win a championship and I want J.Lin to be an integral part of that along with Harden, Howard and Parsons.

18. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I think he was being sarcastic? no?

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Metta world peace is a skinny punk. That's why he tore his meniscus.

20. sdkrises

sdkrises Member

changed jumpshot?

That jumper at the end looks like it has a much smaller hitch in it than it did before.