1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clarify what CF really thinks about Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Which of the following statement(s) reflect your opinion of Jeremy Lin?

1. I root for Lin to do well and generally like him as a player

584 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Lin isn’t a great fit on this team and would be better of playing somewhere else

165 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I would prefer to see Patrick Beverly start over Lin

124 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Lin is a good basketball player and just needs time to continue to improve and find his niche

517 vote(s)
    53.8%
  5. Lin is capable of being an all-star

199 vote(s)
    20.7%
  6. Lin is a mediocre point guard

153 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. McHale should put the ball in Lin’s hands more and let him create more

176 vote(s)
    18.3%
  8. It’s up to Lin to figure out how to fit in our offense and he should just focus on what McHale wants

204 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. When we lose it is mostly because Lin plays poorly

32 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. Lin needs to produce a certain number of points and assists to justify his salary and presence

142 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am posting this because I keep coming across posters who say things like:

So I thought it might help if we actually found out what CF thinks of Lin so these guys can maybe get a more realistic sense of the sentiment of the board, and not just a handful of posters.

3 people like this.
  2. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Oh this was genius.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Does not matter. Most posters and posts on CF suck.

2 people like this.
  4. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I honestly think Lin is a young average to above average player that can improve and round out his game to consistently put up solid numbers for any team in the league. His defense is spotty but cerebral, he gambles for steals and has trouble defending smaller, faster guards. His pick and roll defense is atrocious at times but I think with a bit more time in the league, he'll be more decisive with his decisions on whether to hedge or go behind.

He is a scoring point guard. He has nice court vision, and is turnover prone because he makes risky passes. A frustrating habit of his is his indecisiveness at times, seemingly to dribble into god knows where, jump into the air for god knows why, and to throw the pass at god knows who. He has shown that he can run a team offense, has the work ethic to improve and is overall a likeable guy. His role on this team is dictated by what our stars need, and it should not be the other way around.

I think that he can be a solid to borderline elite player in the league for years to come. He could probably put up 18/7 on a team where he gets more touches. Personally, I'd like him to remain with the contending Houston Rockets.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Should've been a public poll

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Dare I say it's feeding the trolls, but then again so am I. I wanted Lin>Flynn a couple years ago, was rather pissed off at it. Lin has issues with speedy guards on defense (most players do), a need for the ball and real shaky confidence. Outside that, my only issue with him is his only fans. I think he's a good cog for the team, would rather see him with 30 mins as a 6th guy, so he can come in and dominate right away instead of differ, but, I'm not the coach. The reason most say he's not a good fit with Harden, is due to both needing the ball to be their utmost effective self. If he becomes a deadeye shooter (it's usually just there) then my opinion of the fit next to harden changes, but I don't want him gone for a scrub, just Dragon.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We don't need him to be Linsanity. He just needs to take care of the rock and get the ball to main guys. Also knock down some open jumpers to keep the opposing defense on their toes.

8. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Then nobody would've voted (honestly).

9. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

no i think this will be a good evaluation of what cfans generally feel about lin:

they want him to succeed and are eager to see it happen on our team, and they believe that he can only improve with time because of his understanding of the game and his level of dedication to the game.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Still very much a developmental player IMO, but with a lot of potential. There is a precedent for PGs being streaky or struggling early in their careers and developing into really good players (Parker, Nash).

That said, if he's going to stay here he's got to improve his shot and be a role player or sixth man type.

11. Ultimate6thMan

LMAO, this had me cracking up!

I don't necessarily agree, because I think CF is great and has some of the most knowledgeable, insightful and imaginative posters in the country, although some posters do fit the description.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I like Lin, hate his fanboys.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I selected:

Because I do. No real explanation needed.

This is true, but I don't know if the Rockets want to (or should want to) wait and let him take the time to find his niche. If you see a chance to improve your team's odds of winning a title, you take it.

He isn't a star, and so like every other non-star he needs to try to fit in alongside our stars as best as possible. This may mean his numbers are less than spectacular, but that's OK.

#13 Haymitch, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I checked four boxes including...

---Lin isn’t a great fit on this team and would be better of playing somewhere else
    ---I would prefer to see Patrick Beverly start over Lin

I think he is either mediocre PG or slightly above it, at this point of his career. He is not a good coordinator of the offense. Point guard duties does not come natural to him. That would have been fine had he been good in other non-pg areas of the game.

That said, if Morey decides not to trade him, I have to choice but to pray for him to excel.

15. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I chose the first "root for, like as a player". I'm a Rockets fan above all else and love to see every player do well. I don't agree with the LOH that thinks he's worthless, but I also don't agree with the LOF that thinks he's the next Nash or Stockton (in other words a great PG). I think he's an average PG that could be really good once he develop his shot and work on his handles, because Rondo is probably the only PG that can get away with not having a decent/consistent jumper (because how great he is at everything else).

Most of the hate comes from the LOF's thinking Lin is great/allstar, and puts him before the team. So I understand why the hate comes, because I root for him bit also find myself being annoyed with all the praise. My main concern is the Rockets and would love any move that will help the team toward their goal "Championship". I love Harden and dislike Lebron (still stuck on the decision), but I would make that trade in a heartbeat if it presented itself. Rocket fan first.........

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It would of been easier for me if you would of
    included the all of the above option...
    :eek:

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I voted all of them.

18. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

He's no allstar but he's better than Chalmers, Fisher or any of the championship team role player point guards so that's good enough. I think he's as good as any point guard the Rockets have had since Francis. Not all your players can be superstars. He's good not great but that's really all he needs to be.

19. dragician

dragician Member

Especially WNBA fans.

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Among others, I picked
    -- isn't a good fit

But I'm not entirely sure it is true; looking at his best games, if he has a good pick and roll partner and his shot falls he destroys the other team. Harden can manage even with a subpar partner, but with a good one Lin may do just as well. If Harden and Lin could develop some synergy with that...

Or could just be a fantasy. Hence the 'not a good fit' vote.