1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Legends Disscussing the Art of the Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

That is just awesome. That's true basketball being discussed right there. I don't personally believe Howard can truly show us everything that a true center can show due to his relatively small stature (albeit his über athleticism overcomes a lot) and his lack of a post up game, but I can Dream. I miss the Mark Eatons, and Rick Sabonises of he world. Now, those right there were true centers. Man, I miss Hakeem's game and Yao's as well... I wonder when we'll see that again. I just don't see Dwight doing that for us, though I hope to be proven wrong.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

36 + ? :)

Yep, I got stuck on that part too. Probably just a typo.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The Spurs obliterated Dwight's pick and roll in the playoffs, btw. Got to diversify. He needs to keep working on his low post game.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great stuff by Ralph too.
    A real rockets hero, any rocket fan knows that.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The backcourt of Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock wasn't scaring many people. I think James Harden might be a little bit better than them.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You don't remember the games, I think. Marius or Goudelock weren't PnR playmakers. Nash, Steve Blake and to some extent Pau were. They simply gave Steve Nash mid range jump shots and stopped Dwight from rolling. Statistically, a mid range shot -- even from Nash -- is a decent shot to allow, if your offense is good.

If Dwight regains his explosiveness and keeps mixing it up, PnR is a powerful weapon. But I don't think people are being very wise when they are asking for a full time PnRolling from Dwight.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

If Dikembe and Moses were in that photo, I would print it, frame it, hang it and bow down to its awesomeness every single day.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep. I guess Dikembe is a stretch. But Moses is a painful omission. I'm sure they tried to get him, it's a shame he's not there.

10. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I miss these guys so much. I was rewatching the Portland-Houston playoffs series with Yao the other day and it all of a sudden just hit me that it's actually been quite some time since we had the luxury of an unstoppable low post guy. It felt like yesterday when I was watching Yao, and before that Hakeem.

God I miss those times.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

They both belong there IMO. I'm still going to print it.:cool:

#31 mikol13, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Sampson: I just wanted to play. I like that we (he and Olajuwon) could be interchangeable. We could both go in the post. We could run, jump, shoot outside, block shots. We were rare big guys that could do multiple things. I remember Hakeem getting steals, going down the court and dunking on people.

13. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

wow. why does Dwight look so short? He is the smallest out of all of them?

and Yao looks 3 inches taller than Sampson and Sampson is 7"4? :confused:

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

btw, is Omer the best caucasian center we have ever had in our franchise???

something is wrong w my posting rights. Can someone post this as a poll?

thanks. i will get you a beer at a Rockets game

15. tinman

Supporting Member

This is why dream is dream.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Humble Dream is humble. Houston's legacy has Dream front and Center.

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Yeah, only if we didnt get rid of him to Toronto

man, that still bothers me

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

Sampson looks quite malnourished. :)

On the other hand, Yao looks like he hasn't missed many meals.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Where will Howard rank in the fine Houston legacy of dominant centers? Impossible to tell. So why should Howard fit into the legacy of dominant Houston centers?

To answer that question we have to look at why is a center included on Houston's legacy of great centers? I think that it comes down to the priorities of an opponent when scheming for a game against Houston. Does a team have to react to where the center is on the court for every minute of the game? Both on offense and defense? You might ask why this is important. The more players an opponent has to account for on the floor the more difficult defensive rotations become. For example on defense how do you switch a SG onto Howard when it completely opens up any remotely accurate lob pass for a dunk?

So let us look at the Dreams impact on the other team. Did they absolutely have to know where he was on the court every moment when playing defense? Yes of course they did. Give him a decent entry pass and it was going to be a bucket for Houston. Give the Dream a path to the ball on a rebound and you were not going to get a rebound. Basically the opponent had to dedicate an agile quick body to the Dream at all times. And many times he required a double team.

On offense the opponent had to know where the Dream was positioned for any shot within 10-15 feet of the basket. If the shot went up from anywhere Hakeem could get to, the shot many times were either altered or blocked. A powerful impact on any teams offense.

I would contend that Yao had a lesser, but similar effect on opponents game plans. On both sides of the ball.

Enter Sir Dwight Howard. Does he fit in the same mold as Yao and the Dream? I would say yes. On defense it is obvious. Howard has more impact on his teams defense than any other player in the last decade. With his incredible mobility and vertical leap Howard is arguable better than Yao on defense and perhaps approaches the lofty pinnacle of Hakeem.

On offense Dwight poses some interesting questions. He certainly is not cut from the same cloth as Yao and the Dream, who both excelled in scoring off of the entry pass. Dwight excels in opportunity points. Lobs, small temporary passing lanes, offensive put backs. Different? Yes. Less effective? I believe no to any great degree.

Maybe I am an optimist but I view next seasons Howard as a top 3 player in the NBA. I have only to look at the last 6 weeks of the previous season to gauge his progress off injury recovery. Is any player in the NBA equivalent or better on both sides of the ball. I will give you LBJ. I do not believe that there is any one else.

2 people like this.
  20. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Nice post. Repp'ed