1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perimeter Defense - Solutions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AndySwanny, Jul 19, 2013.

1. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Practice. Effort.

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I know, I was talking to two different people in that post

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Bradley ? not solution! but he can help .
    Trade Asik for Bradley ? it's impossible! Asik . U r too overrated for Bradley

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

Having an anchor in the paint at all times should help our perimeter guys a lot.

5. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

a lot of the improvement has to come internally from Lin, Parsons, and Harden imo

6. QazQay

QazQay Member

Trading Asik for Bradley would make our defense worse IMO

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

The Rockets need to extend their defense out to the three point line (something Morey said they were going to do)... And Harden and Lin need to stop cherry picking for steals and stay on their man so they'll stop getting caught out of position. They would always double down and help Asik when they didn't need to be. Howard will probably tell them to stay on their man.

And Beverley is a very good defender and a much better shooter than Bradley (horrible shooter)... And plus Garcia isn't garbage on the defensive end either. Bradley wouldn't be a vertical move and he would hurt the team on the offensive end because he doesn't have to be guarded on the perimeter.

Nice RANDOM TRADE IDEA though.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, the Rockets found a solution: Tall black guy, used to play in Orlando?

9. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

I dont want bass, at all

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Adding Dwight Howard solved 90% of our perimeter defense. Howard/Asik combo, where neither fears foul trouble because of the other guy, is going to erase a lot of issues that came from our gambling style of last season.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so by making our interior defense better, guys will become better perimeter defender?
    Could be... but I am told that Terrence Jones is a fine perimeter defender for other stretching 4s

12. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Its starts with the starters. Harden and Parsons have to up their D first and foremost. They got to lead. I ain't worried about D12/Lin/Beverly. I love their D.

13. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Here is an example.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/PmGqVxYbITU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/PmGqVxYbITU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Parsons was the only one not up on his man ~ He was ball-watching and gave Monta more than enough separation. If Parsons had been playing D instead of watching - he would have been much closer, the height differential wouldn't have even required Parson's to be that close. But he had to play some semblance of D which for 1-play he did not.

Do not get me wrong Parsons is a stud and deserves a HUGE contract. But his D and Harden's D needs to elevate.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Whoa there, that's way overpaying, that'd have to be their first rounder coming back, not ours going to them.

They need a pg more than we need Ilyasova and Jeremy isn't the only guy in that transaction being overpaid.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Wait a second, Monta had to take an off one foot spinning jump shot from 27 feet and Parsons defense was bad?

You can't possibly be serious......That was like a 1 in 100 shot that happened to get that one time.

Parsons was standing off him by design, because Monta is rather quick and playing him too closely would have given him the chance to create a 2 pointer instead.

#35 Aleron, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  16. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

One of Jeremy's finer defensive moments of the season...he is definitely underrated defensively...at least top 10-15 in starting PG defense.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both Omri Casspi and Cisco Garcia are said to be pretty good perimeter defenders

Use one at a time

18. fattz

fattz Member

T-Mac is old now PLUS is better on offence than defense. I think he is a Spur now. Is this a history lesson? :grin:

You sir, made a 100!

19. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Has no one mentioned in this thread that we already have a defensive pest pg named Beverley? I don't see Bradley giving us more than Bev. To improve our perimeter defense we need Harden to at least act like he cares on that side of the court and Parsons needs to give that defensive intensity he showed his rookie year.

I liked the idea of us picking up a D and 3 guy for the wing but it didn't really happen. Garcia did show some great defense in the playoffs and to be honest I have no idea what Casspi is going to do. With the guys on our roster right now I think it's more about defensive effort rather than their defensive skill, or lack there of.

I'd be perfectly happy letting this roster ride to the trade deadline to see how we're doing and what other teams might want to unload an unhappy player. There's no reason to rush and try to force a move before we even see these guys together.

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If couldn't get a guy like Marion, no solution!