1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA approves five rule changes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 18, 2013.

1. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Agreed

I think way too many times, the defender is gifted a charge call just because he's planted outside the circle, but the refs are continually missing seeing that the offensive player already has one foot in the air, making it impossible for him to change directions, which is what charging/blocking is all about. Sometimes it's worse, like the offensive player is completely in the air and the defender sets not only late, but way too far away where there's minimal contact on the shooter's descent, and then falls backwards like he was shot. Basically, I think way to many circle line foot plant charges are called and hopefully replay will change it.

3. SeabrookMiglla

i agree, sometimes the defender's feet arent even planted and the other player gets the charge called on them. its almost too easy at times

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

So now artest will be further penalized if he goes into the stands to fight fans again?

Bs

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That doesn't look like on offense to me

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

IIRC - It became not uncommon practice to have an offensive player (off an inbounds play usually) run out of bounds to drag a defender along the baseline and smash him into screens this year - I think Miami did it in the playoffs a bunch of times towards end of games.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've always wondered why this wasn't the case in all sports that use replay. It doesn't even have have to be at an offsite facility, they could just add a replay official to every crew, or have the alternate that's already there fill in the role.

If the replay official feels that he needs a second opinion, then he can state his case to the head official, at that point the head official can then veiw the replay and weigh in.

Seems like something like this would save a to of time and may even prove to result in more accurate calls.

8. MONON

MONON Member

That brings up a good point. Does leaving the floor mean jumping into the stands to knock a ball back into play or does it include stepping out of bounds, which is what happened here?

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think you are reading it wrong. Chasing a ball out of bounds is one of the exceptions to returning to the court immediately.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good changes.

11. FearTheBeardJH

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_y72LBKdViI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

[​IMG]

HELLO

13. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

It's the "too many eyes" syndrome. When you have more than 3 people working on the same goal, things that should be obvious are bound to slip through the cracks because of disagreements about what's most important to pursue. It's a rule of human nature - always has been, always will be.

14. Subliminal Shot

Subliminal Shot Contributing Member

I believe it also is because offensive rebounders will get out of bounds near the goal when an iso play is called and as soon as the shot is up, they get a running start to crash into everyone for the boards. This has forced a lot of bad loose ball fouls on defensive players and is also quite dangerous as your lower body gets taken out as you jump sometimes while looking straight up. ... Faried does it constantly.

15. ribbit

ribbit Member

True. Like HR Dept said, it doesn't even have to be an offsite facility. And, it will probably just take, what, around 10 seconds, 20 max, for a referee to ask the facility for the correct call? Compare that to, sometimes, more than 1 minute reviews the refs are currently doing when checking the replays.